Tikka T3 Question

BuzzH

Buddy found a new in box Tikka T3 in a 7-08 and I had him pick it up for my youngest nephew, paid $625 for it. He's been slumming a family .243 for the last few years and was time to get him his own rifle.

Not familiar with Tikka's but I like the rifle, haven't shot it yet.

Anything anyone wants to share about them, good, bad, indifferent...I'm listening.

They are great shooters. Very accurate out of the box. I’m assuming it’s a composite stock? The stocks feel like cheap plastic. I replaced mine with a Bell and Carlson and it feels like a much nicer rifle now.

My 30-06 likes Nosler partitions.

Buzz
I would go with the Sportsmatch rings as they are a direct mount to the built in rail on a tikka. Those rings are awesome. I think Hawkins precision makes the 25MOA hybrids for the tikka also.
Wood or plastic stock?

Buzz
I would go with the Sportsmatch rings as they are a direct mount to the built in rail on a tikka. Those rings are awesome. I think Hawkins precision makes the 25MOA hybrids for the tikka also.
Wood or plastic stock?
Plastic...

I like my tikka. Super light, handles well. A bit finicky on ammo, but shoots eld-x's extremely well. I'm not a huge fan of the super light barrel, seems like I spend way more time waiting around for it to cool at the range than shooting - but it is nice to have a light rifle on the mountain. The 7mm-08 would probably do better in that regard than my 270. It's been a great rifle for me though, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any given hunt.

Great guns. Watch the safety. Easy to bump off busting through brush. Shouldn’t be an issue if all rules of gun safety are followed, but it’s certainly something to be aware of. I’ve had it happen multiple times.

You have a lucky nephew. If it is a T3 rather than the T3X, you might want to replace the recoil lug with a steel one. The trigger might be able to be adjusted down to where you want it, but if not, aftermarket springs are available. If it does not shoot, there are a couple of pressure nubs in the barrel channel that are easily dremeled away, and that might help.

With a 1” scope, Talley mounts worked fine on the two Tikkas my daughter and I have. I have Hawkins on mine now with a 30mm scope and I have a set of Sportsmatch in case my daughter moves to a 30mm tube.

I have a Tikka T3x superlite in .308. Preferred round with it is Nosler Accubond 150 gr. Super accurate gun without any aftermarket mods. Very happy with it.

Tikka T3s are great guns. Keep as it is from factory or you can buy upgrades for stock, bottom metal, bolt handles and knobs. Very good actions.

Great gun for mountain hunting. Like others have said, accurate out of the box. I have a 7mm rem mag that shot sub moa with nosler accubonds out of the box. My brother has a .270 that did the same. Easy gun to tote around as light as it is.

Last edited:
You have a lucky nephew. If it is a T3 rather than the T3X, you might want to replace the recoil lug with a steel one. The trigger might be able to be adjusted down to where you want it, but if not, aftermarket springs are available. If it does not shoot, there are a couple of pressure nubs in the barrel channel that are easily dremeled away, and that might help.
Pretty much what I was going to say on all counts. I've used the YoDave aftermarket spring in mine and my kids and we all prefer it, but of course that's personal preference. I dremeled out the speed bumps in my kids .243 T3 and it tightened up considerably.

The other thing, if they handload and want to load bullets out longer than standard COAL/magazine will allow to tinker with groups/etc., the "M+" magazine gives you quite a bit more length over the "M" it comes with, but still works with the SA bolt stop. M+ magazines came out with the creedmoors. If you want to go really long, which I doubt he would, you can get a long action bolt stop and use long action magazines with a shim to get desired length.

Bedding is kinda ass backwards from a 700 since the lug is free, to bed I'd put a dab of superglue on the lug to stick it to the action, then bed as if a 700 style.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back