This will affect my hunting

Good luck. I’m going to go be stupid and naive.

That doesn’t mean their tags can’t be valid next year. Their would be no more pressure on the bears because no one is hunting them this year.
It’s highly unlikely they would allow two years worth of tags to hunt in a single year if that’s what you were thinking. Two options they’ll likely donate 1) Defer this years tags until next year and have no drawing for next year or 2) Issue refunds for this year.

It’s highly unlikely they would allow two years worth of tags to hunt in a single year if that’s what you were thinking. Two options they’ll likely donate 1) Defer this years tags until next year and have no drawing for next year or 2) Issue refunds for this year.

...or hunters could act like the conservation minded folk they like to brag about being.

I'm going to apply just like I always do. If I luck out and draw a handful of tags, like I usually do, and find out that I cant hunt due to this, no big deal. I'm not going to accept refund, they can keep my money, keep my points. Management isn't free and I don't want the State Agencies to be strapped for revenue.

Its funny how a vast majority of hunters claim to be the ultimate conservationists and pound their chests about saving wildlife...yeah, as long as there's something in it for them, this year, right now. Seems chickenchit to turn our backs on many decades of wildlife management and those that have dedicated their lives to same.

Any SOB I see using this situation to green light poaching, is getting turned in...I don't tolerate stupidity.

...or hunters could act like the conservation minded folk they like to brag about being.

I'm going to apply just like I always do. If I luck out and draw a handful of tags, like I usually do, and find out that I cant hunt due to this, no big deal. I'm not going to accept refund, they can keep my money, keep my points. Management isn't free and I don't want the State Agencies to be strapped for revenue.

Its funny how a vast majority of hunters claim to be the ultimate conservationists and pound their chests about saving wildlife...yeah, as long as there's something in it for them, this year, right now. Seems chickenchit to turn our backs on many decades of wildlife management and those that have dedicated their lives to same.

Any SOB I see using this situation to green light poaching, is getting turned in...I don't tolerate stupidity.
524B5B8C-7B88-4F52-A04C-516D52BBA5E6.gif

I bet they do neither, no refund no redo. Honestly I think it’s the best course.
In the AK draw you buy a base hunting license and then pay an app fee to apply. $160 for the base license then $5 per app, you can do six a species. So you might put in $190 to apply for POW bear.

If you draw you aren’t charged anything. You get your permit in July-ish the year before the spring you will hunt.
Before you hunt you then have to buy your locking tag, you can do this online or in person, this cost $450-1000 depending on the species. Most folks wait to buy this until they are in AK or maybe a couple week out. I think I got mine ~April 18th. You can use this locking tag during any season, in any unit for a year, and case use it on an animal of lessor tag cost.

So essentially Randy is only out $190 for tags, same as me as I didn’t draw but applied for this hunt. If Randy bought his locking tag already he could go in the fall and hunt a bear in another unit or use his tag on a wolf.

Really the only loss an opportunity to hunt, yes sucks but also 🤷‍♂️.

(Obviously airfare, hotels, deposits with transports, but nothing the state can do about that)

If the low point of my year is losing the opportunity to hunt this tag, the license and application cost, I will consider I got though 2020 in flying colors. Back to one of my earlier posts; I agree with this decision. Over eight trips to do these hunts, I have got to meet a lot of cool people in the area, some I have met up with when they have traveled to Montana. I consider them friends at this point. I would hate to see their lives in these small rural communities upended. If this can lower the risk of that happening, I'm on board with that.

If I am out $190 for me and my niece, such is life. I'm already asking her where we might go as a replacement to this. When looking at that possible lost cost and compare it to what I would spend on this trip or my hunting in general, most would advise I not be a traveling hunter if such is enough to hurt my long-term financial stability.

It would be cool if a draw tag such as this could be used in some future period, but I'm not counting on it or worrying about it.

I bet they do neither, no refund no redo. Honestly I think it’s the best course.
In the AK draw you buy a base hunting license and then pay an app fee to apply. $160 for the base license then $5 per app, you can do six a species. So you might put in $190 to apply for POW bear.

If you draw you aren’t charged anything. You get your permit in July-ish the year before the spring you will hunt.
Before you hunt you then have to buy your locking tag, you can do this online or in person, this cost $450-1000 depending on the species. Most folks wait to buy this until they are in AK or maybe a couple week out. I think I got mine ~April 18th. You can use this locking tag during any season, in any unit for a year, and case use it on an animal of lessor tag cost.

So essentially Randy is only out $190 for tags, same as me as I didn’t draw but applied for this hunt. If Randy bought his locking tag already he could go in the fall and hunt a bear in another unit or use his tag on a wolf.

Really the only loss an opportunity to hunt, yes sucks but also 🤷‍♂️.

(Obviously airfare, hotels, deposits with transports, but nothing the state can do about that)
I didn’t realize you weren’t charged for the tag yet. If that’s then see then you are likely correct.

Change in plans...now residents can hunt bears as long as they abide by statewide heath mandates:

"Upon further consideration, the department has decided to rescind the resident portion of this closure.
The non-resident hunts remain closed.
To protect public health, resident hunters participating in spring bear hunts in Alaska are required to abide by all issued health mandates,
including social distancing mandates and intrastate travel mandates,” a notice from Alaska Department of Fish and Game Commissioner Doug Vincent-Lang states.

The notice emphasizes that ongoing travel mandates prohibit “all in-state travel between communities”
unless travel is necessary to support critical infrastructure or for critical personal needs.
General hunting has not been identified as a critical personal need, which means all hunters, other than those hunting for subsistence, must conform with the travel mandate.

The department will be issuing additional details in the coming days regarding conduct of the residents bear hunts in context of the issued mandates."

Change in plans...now residents can hunt bears as long as they abide by statewide heath mandates:

"Upon further consideration, the department has decided to rescind the resident portion of this closure.
The non-resident hunts remain closed.
To protect public health, resident hunters participating in spring bear hunts in Alaska are required to abide by all issued health mandates,
including social distancing mandates and intrastate travel mandates,” a notice from Alaska Department of Fish and Game Commissioner Doug Vincent-Lang states.

The notice emphasizes that ongoing travel mandates prohibit “all in-state travel between communities”
unless travel is necessary to support critical infrastructure or for critical personal needs.
General hunting has not been identified as a critical personal need, which means all hunters, other than those hunting for subsistence, must conform with the travel mandate.

The department will be issuing additional details in the coming days regarding conduct of the residents bear hunts in context of the issued mandates."
That makes a lot more sense.

So if you live in Anchorage and hunt down by say girdwood you can't travel there?

Stupidity is not feeding your family. Poaching wasn’t harshly enforced for years because people were doing exactly that. It doesn’t make it ok, but it’s unrealistic to think it won’t happen.

So if you live in Anchorage and hunt down by say girdwood you can't travel there?
You can not transmit the virus to other communities, so you could travel and go bear hunting in the local mountains,
but you could not travel and stop and potentially infect other people.
AK Fish and Game has indicated they will issue a statement, with >3 feet of snow and more on the way in interior AK, it will be a few weeks for interior residents.
"The department will be issuing additional details in the coming days regarding conduct of the residents bear hunts in context of the issued mandates."

Stupidity is not feeding your family. Poaching wasn’t harshly enforced for years because people were doing exactly that. It doesn’t make it ok, but it’s unrealistic to think it won’t happen.

So many options exist to "feed your family" legally, there is no reason to poach. Nearly every one of those options is less expensive than poaching.

Get a grip.

So many options exist to "feed your family" legally, there is no reason to poach. Nearly every one of those options is less expensive than poaching.

Get a grip.
A bullet is cheap. Criminals are being released right now, not detained.

Good on you BF!
I only applied locally.
This is affecting small rural places that rely on hunting,hiking etc...and we are holding the fort with minimal movement even here. It will be devastating, but needed. We got our 1st case this week. The local lady who works at the store. I bet Randy has met her even.
NM is on stay at home mode. Only essential travel. Only essential business open.
Our county is watching and hoping we make it thru this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back