This will affect my hunting

A 33,000 acre reservoir near me closes tomorrow to all boating. People can’t fish to eat. Not liking this kind of stuff.
Hoping my public land turkey hunt stays open this Friday.

Sorry to hear about ur bear hunt Big Fin. The effects of this (imho) r going to be wide spread and long lasting. I had bought a lion tag back in January w plans on going last month w my buddy n his dogs by Augusta. Being in SAFD Fire n EMS, couldn’t go. Work on the side for Delta as a baggage monkey n myself n my friends r deactivated from that now (no outside employment for now in the SAFD due to covid) n this is just personal/fun stuff; I’m still getting a paycheck n able to support my immediate n extended family.
I truly feel for people who have small businesses and/or have been laid off or unable to and have no prospects of providing for theirs.
God willing this will pass sooner than later, and God give our govt and people the guidance and wisdom to get through this.
Everyone out there, stay safe, stay healthy

I guess that there will be more restrictions for interstate travel, with NR big game hunters being affected the most. I doubt many more states will suspend or cancel resident big game hunts like WA and AK have, because these are food hunts for a lot of people. Just a single decision like if CO cancelled OTC NR elk would affect a ton of people.

Montana is now recommending a 14 day self-quarantine for anyone traveling here from out-of-state. Folks traveling here to hunt spring bear or turkey should plan accordingly or not come at all. Just saying.

This may shape up to "Hunt Your Home State" this year. That would mean State's like Montana will be missing out on that revenue hunting generates. Something to think about.

Montana is now recommending a 14 day self-quarantine for anyone traveling here from out-of-state. Folks traveling here to hunt spring bear or turkey should plan accordingly or not come at all. Just saying.

This may shape up to "Hunt Your Home State" this year. That would mean State's like Montana will be missing out on that revenue hunting generates. Something to think about.
Details on how they are defining "self-quarantine"? If I stay out of establishments (hotels, restaurants, etc),only fuel up at the pump, and stay in a tent is pretty well quarantined IMO...

It will be interesting to see how states with preference points handle this. If the tag drawings continue and this is drawn out into the fall to where fall seasons are cancelled, will points be re-issued?

If things don't go back to "normal" in the next month SE Alaska will be devastated, and it won't be a virus that does it. Anyone who has been to Ketchikan knows how reliant that place is on tourism. The largest fishing charter in town just fired all of their captains for the season. The bills for those boats are still coming in. Last time I was there the place had around 60 jewelry stores. As of now I don't think any cruises will be running for the foreseeable future. Those jewelers can't afford to take an entire season off.

I have a feeling Alaska may look quite different the next time I visit.

Here is an image to explain why I agree that these decisions have to be made by rural states. All three of the circled counties are rural by every standard, even Montana standards. Those are scary mortality rates, albeit small samples sizes.

. View attachment 134228

I’m certainly not trying to downplay the seriousness of this, but the Madison County death was an elderly man in his 80s. It does show that it can happen anywhere, if it can happen in Twin Bridges, Montana.

I'm still unsure if I'll get to go on my yearly salmon fishing trip back to Alaska. Fingers crossed this calms down by June, but I'm not holding my breath..........

Same for Colorado, but maybe it would be a good opportunity for some of the state fish and game agencies to reevaluate their positions on things...of course, it probably also means this will be the year I draw my NM elk tag and then can't use it...

I can see spring hunts being in serious jeopardy. However, at the current growth rate every American will have had it by Sept 1. Herd immunity will eventually kick in and slow progress and maybe warm weather will help, so there are a lot of variables. I am still pretty optimistic about fall hunts being fine, if I survive that long.:unsure:

Maybe hunt your own county? I mean someone traveling from Gallatin county to hunt turkeys in Eastern MT is probably not desired by those residing in those rural counties. As Randy has pointed out many have elderly populations and aren't equipped to handle it.

Details on how they are defining "self-quarantine"? If I stay out of establishments (hotels, restaurants, etc),only fuel up at the pump, and stay in a tent is pretty well quarantined IMO...

They did not define it specifically, but generally their guidance is it means don’t leave the house, and isolate from others who may live with you, finding someone else to get groceries, run errands, etc. Traveling around even to gas stations, rest areas, etc does not count as quarantine. I’m not sure that would even qualify as meeting the shelter-in-place directive.

Geez, it's hard to believe this is really happening. First world problems indeed, but it makes me think of outfitters and rural towns who depend on an influx of hunters to stay afloat. It'll truly be interesting to see what happens in the months ahead. Being in the heart of application season, game agencies must be worried about fewer people applying and severe reductions in funding. We shall see.

Back