This will affect my hunting

As an RN who worked as a Flight Nurse I saw how poor healthcare can be in Rural America. I spent many missions transporting those from minimal resource areas to metro hospitals. The Healthcare facility where I work serves people in a 250 mile radius. The EMS crews flight and ground are stretched trying to transport patients. I can only imagine how remote areas like AK or even MT might be limited.

Last edited:
My big question is if there will be a rebound in Oct/Nov like we see with some viruses. But I am putting in for myself and my group for NR WY pronghorn and hoping for the best. Also of interest for us is if the Canadian border will be open in June for our father/son Ontario flying fishing trip (and if our August Ontario bear fly-in vendor will even still be in business by then). Much to wonder about - but these really are "first world concerns" for us - if all we miss is a few trips, then I will be thankful we passed through this time largely unscathed.

My big question is if there will be a rebound in Oct/Nov like we see with some viruses. But I am putting in for myself and my group for NR WY pronghorn and hoping for the best. Also of interest for us is if the Canadian border will be open in June for our father/son Ontario flying fishing trip (and if our August Ontario bear fly-in vendor will even still be in business by then). Much to wonder about - but these really are "first world concerns" for us - if all we miss is a few trips, then I will be thankful we passed through this time largely unscathed.
We have a family cabin on Lake of the Woods. It does not look promising for the early trips to Canada. They are not processing passport applications as I understand it right now.

I really expect to have a much bigger leftover list for deer, cow elk, and pronghorn in Wyoming for sure and much better options on areas to pick up a second deer/pronghorn buck tag.

I don't think as many NR's are going to want to gamble on the harder access units for pronghorn and elk, when they don't know if they're going to be able to come to Wyoming. Whether that be job or the continuation of the virus rules/regulations.

I'm planning on doing more hunting closer to home and hoping for the best in other States that I apply for.

I'm also 100% not going to take any refunds from the States I have, and will apply for, even if they offer it.

Its all a big guess what fall brings heck we don't know what we will be allowed or comfortable doing in June.

I know I actually thought about planting a garden(then I rememberd Randy's advice on not being handy, and gardens seem to harvest in the fall).

Do You think there will be an increase in first timers who may be awakened to where there food comes from?

I think this will be another "shot in the arm" for the localvore movement, just like what happened at the last economic downturn. My wife was at the farmers market yesterday, we've been buying from a vendor for over 15 years and they said their interest and demand is through the roof because the big grocery stores are having supply chain issues.

I think the NR #'s in Mt. will take a hit this year. Many of the folks have to prioritize their finances such as house payment, car payments etc. The big question is will the bail out money help everyone and will it cover their needs. So many unknowns at this time. In the end I think hunter numbers will be down. If filling the freezer is the #1 priority on a tight budget then for most guys buying beef from a local producer is the smart way to go and plan on hunting next year.

I think this will be another "shot in the arm" for the localvore movement, just like what happened at the last economic downturn. My wife was at the farmers market yesterday, we've been buying from a vendor for over 15 years and they said their interest and demand is through the roof because the big grocery stores are having supply chain issues.

I agree. Like Randy did for public land, Rinella and to some extent Joe Rogan really shined a light to the outside world on eating game.

It's great for hunting and conservation. Might be rough for newbies in the forest, or capped tags.

What are your thoughts on the amount of people drawing for tags for Fall hunts? Talking with a Colorado game warden last week he thought the number of applicants was going to be down as much as 1/3. I feel like it is going to be up, big time, because people have time on their hands to fill out multiple applications. But if this pandemic continues if hunting seasons go on there might be a good chance at getting a good left over tag in August. We burnt our points last year so we did not have any in Colorado. Going on the idea that the Colorado official would be correct we applied for a unit that requires 3 points as our first choice knowing that we were going to hunt OTC anyways.
I have noticed in my home state of Minnesota an increase on our bear hunting Facebook page of people talking about applying that have not applied in years. I feel like they must be bored sitting at home looking for things to do on the internet.

I have noticed in my home state of Minnesota an increase on our bear hunting Facebook page of people talking about applying that have not applied in years. I feel like they must be bored sitting at home looking for things to do on the internet.
I agree 100%. I have never seen so many people using our public lands in March and April. Most of them are from several hours away too. I don’t know how this will translate to fall hunting but I have a feeling there will be a lot of people filling out applications for the first time but if this pandemic continues there will be a lot of no shows or turned in tags come hunting season.

Just a question...what happens if hunting seasons are closed this year? May not be likely, but as a NR hunter I am concerned. Do you think the agencies will cancel tags? Carry over any drawn or purchased tags to 2021?

Just a question...what happens if hunting seasons are closed this year? May not be likely, but as a NR hunter I am concerned. Do you think the agencies will cancel tags? Carry over any drawn or purchased tags to 2021?
That is largely the point of this whole thread and a second thread [https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wi...-influence-your-western-hunting-plans.296478/] - read through them and you will see a wide range of thoughts on the issue. You will even see it vary with time as the news shifted.

Depends a lot on which state and their current policies, and how things play out.
CO- Very liberal refund policy
WY- Has refund policies for natural disasters and public land closures
MT- 80% refund before Aug 1st
UT- Will issue full refund if DWR closes season

I don't see any hunting season closures on the horizon. I do see lots of hunts being cancelled however for financial hardship however. I think 1/3 of all planned hunts being cancelled is probably spot on. The bitch about this whole thing is fuel prices are so low.

Yesterday, I got an email fro WGF saying that the hunts were still on, but if you had a spring bear or turkey hunt and could not do a 14-day quarantine (on either end of your trip), then call them.

They did not elaborate on what sort of deal they would cut, but they implied they would do something for you. Anyone know what that is?

From WGF:

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department understands many of you are unable to travel to Wyoming for spring hunting and fishing because of stay-at-home orders in your home state and the recent 14-day quarantine directive for people entering Wyoming through the end of April. Due to this directive, we ask nonresidents to stay home at this time, unless you can observe the quarantine. These are unprecedented times with rapid changes - but we are here to help.

If you’ve bought a spring bear or turkey license that you are unable to use, we can help. Call us at (307) 777- 4600 between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MDT Monday - Friday.

We have no plans to cancel any seasons. However, we understand some of you may want to withdraw hunting applications you’ve already submitted. The deadlines to withdraw are:

• Moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, bison: April 15
  • Elk: May 8
  • Deer and pronghorn: June 1
Applications for fall hunts remain open and June 1 is the deadline to apply for:...

^This^

Anyone own a fishing license, small game license, fishing rods, tackle?

Long seasons on those that are legal endeavors to "feed your family"...

For the record, who cant wait until hunting seasons, which are 5 months away, buy a license, and go fill the freezer legally?

On top of that, if you're worth a crap as a hunter, your freezer shouldn't be empty in April anyway.

Awww, BuzzH thinks I'm worth a crap! I'll take that as a complement.

Guess I'll buy my CO points. Wuz going to wait until the new leftover draw if I don't draw NM (probably won't) and only buy WY points this year. But I bet a lot more NR are buying points only and will need to keep up with the curve for future draws.

Given the coming economic crash I would bet NR numbers will drop for several years. R numbers will drop to a lesser extent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back