This will affect my hunting

I am not for poaching at all, I have plenty meat in the freezer for me and mine, n way too many hogs in the fields to worry about it. But for arguments sake, let’s say it does get 1907 bad, then what? Ideals over feeding ur family? I don’t personally know everyone here sending messages but I would like to think they don’t mean start poaching rt away n quite honestly if it would come to grocery stores n such closing down....I wouldn’t consider that poaching anyway, that’s being the provider of ur household

I am not for poaching at all, I have plenty meat in the freezer for me and mine, n way too many hogs in the fields to worry about it. But for arguments sake, let’s say it does get 1907 bad, then what? Ideals over feeding ur family? I don’t personally know everyone here sending messages but I would like to think they don’t mean start poaching rt away n quite honestly if it would come to grocery stores n such closing down....I wouldn’t consider that poaching anyway, that’s being the provider of ur household
It would take a lot more than a few hundred thousand Americans falling to a virus for it to get close to being that bad...right now it’s a civil disobedience debate, not a survival debate. And even then, I doubt this is the website to have such a discussion, since this is a HUNTING forum.

I would like to think character counts for something in this. It is not 1905 - not being able to kill a deer is not the difference between feeding your family and starving. SNAP, food banks, church meals, etc, etc, etc, Anybody who poaches under this logic is just rationalization away their bad actions.

^This^

Anyone own a fishing license, small game license, fishing rods, tackle?

Long seasons on those that are legal endeavors to "feed your family"...

For the record, who cant wait until hunting seasons, which are 5 months away, buy a license, and go fill the freezer legally?

On top of that, if you're worth a crap as a hunter, your freezer shouldn't be empty in April anyway.

I agree, Like I said, for the sake of argument
My grandparents n great grandparents lived in such times, thank God we do not. They told me stories; n 2 of my grandparents still do, if u didn’t shoot, catch, or trap something u didn’t eat. N they taught me how to, as I have taught my kids n am teaching my grandkids. Not just to kill for food but also how to use what u get as well as preserving (meat and vegetables alike) Granted, I wasn’t there n can’t confirm it, but my grandparents don’t lie.
I’m not trying to get into a debate on conservation, poaching, right or wrong; as I feel some others who have added to this post have stated also
What I’m just throwing out there is if it would get to that, what would u do?

Good on you BF!
I only applied locally.
This is affecting small rural places that rely on hunting,hiking etc...and we are holding the fort with minimal movement even here. It will be devastating, but needed. We got our 1st case this week. The local lady who works at the store. I bet Randy has met her even.
NM is on stay at home mode. Only essential travel. Only essential business open.
Our county is watching and hoping we make it thru this.
You must live in quemado. At least they haven't closed our spring hunts.

^This^

Anyone own a fishing license, small game license, fishing rods, tackle?

Long seasons on those that are legal endeavors to "feed your family"...

For the record, who cant wait until hunting seasons, which are 5 months away, buy a license, and go fill the freezer legally?

On top of that, if you're worth a crap as a hunter, your freezer shouldn't be empty in April anyway.
33,000 acre reservoir near my home closed to all activities, including fishing.

33,000 acre reservoir near my home closed to all activities, including fishing.

If you're going to start poaching deer, may as well break the other rules and bring your fishing stuff.

Better hurry and go poach you some deer while the getting's good. Don't want you to starve...

Poaching now you'd be using corona as an excuse to do it.

That dynamic will flip. If you listen to Fauci, he's all for shutting down a year.

It will be up to the Governor's as to whether they want to allow law abiding folks fill their reserves this fall legally. But folks will be filling their reserves, the Governor's choice will be how many criminals they want to create.
And, like the panic on TP, once that genie gets out of the bottle, it will explode.
Desperate times=desperate men

But 3 weeks in, your an A hole to be poaching anything. But shutting turkey and bear seasons were A hole moves as well. The State needs to consider that THEY are creating panics

I agree, Like I said, for the sake of argument
My grandparents n great grandparents lived in such times, thank God we do not. They told me stories; n 2 of my grandparents still do, if u didn’t shoot, catch, or trap something u didn’t eat. N they taught me how to, as I have taught my kids n am teaching my grandkids. Not just to kill for food but also how to use what u get as well as preserving (meat and vegetables alike) Granted, I wasn’t there n can’t confirm it, but my grandparents don’t lie.
I’m not trying to get into a debate on conservation, poaching, right or wrong; as I feel some others who have added to this post have stated also
What I’m just throwing out there is if it would get to that, what would u do?
I would do just as your grandparents did during the depression....whatever is necessary to survive. My grandparents did the same. I'm more surprised by the folks that act like they are above doing such, to feed their starving family. I agree with them if this is only some short term blip on the radar. But those that think the possibility of corona causing another depression isn't real......better start listening to economists.

Anyone interested in going back to how hunting seasons will be impacted?

I started the thread and I have no interest in discussing who is going to start poaching, who is not, who feels what way about it, as at this time the entire poaching idea is a far off abstract, the discussion of which is completely unrelated to this topic.

If you want to prognosticate on the likely increase of such activity, go start a thread on that. This was started to show the as much as we might not have thought C-19 was just the passing of the common cold and would not impact the hunting world, recent announcements show us otherwise. And, it was to give some perspective that hunting is important to all of us, but there is not a single activity in this country that isn't going to have some impacts from this, hunting, fishing, skiing, golf, staring out the window, you name it.

Back on track........or else.

I started the thread and I have no interest in discussing who is going to start poaching, who is not, who feels what way about it, as at this time the entire poaching idea is a far off abstract, the discussion of which is completely unrelated to this topic.

If you want to prognosticate on the likely increase of such activity, go start a thread on that. This was started to show the as much as we might not have thought C-19 was just the passing of the common cold and would not impact the hunting world, recent announcements show us otherwise. And, it was to give some perspective that hunting is important to all of us, but there is not a single activity in this country that isn't going to have some impacts from this, hunting, fishing, skiing, golf, staring out the window, you name it.

What are your thoughts on the amount of people drawing for tags for Fall hunts? Talking with a Colorado game warden last week he thought the number of applicants was going to be down as much as 1/3. I feel like it is going to be up, big time, because people have time on their hands to fill out multiple applications. But if this pandemic continues if hunting seasons go on there might be a good chance at getting a good left over tag in August. We burnt our points last year so we did not have any in Colorado. Going on the idea that the Colorado official would be correct we applied for a unit that requires 3 points as our first choice knowing that we were going to hunt OTC anyways.

My thoughts are that based on the circle of people I talk to, which given their age and avidity, might not be an accurate sample size. I think that more people are going to apply than some might expect, knowing that if things tank worse, they can either get a tag refund or get their points restored. For those of less avidity and maybe in a different situation due to age, such as kids at home, less PTO, etc, they are more likely to just buy a point and see what happens when the storm passes.

Might be a good year to be on the alternate list in states like Nevada or Utah. Or to be hawking the leftover and returned tag list in some other states.

Summary - It's hard to compare the out of state hunting application behaviors of a debt-free 55 year-old with no kids at home to that of a 30 year-old with three kids an a mortgage.

I guess we will know when states start posting results and we can look at the application demand. Until then, it makes for interesting discussion to distract us from the reality of the times.

Well said

What are your thoughts on the amount of people drawing for tags for Fall hunts? Talking with a Colorado game warden last week he thought the number of applicants was going to be down as much as 1/3. I feel like it is going to be up, big time, because people have time on their hands to fill out multiple applications. But if this pandemic continues if hunting seasons go on there might be a good chance at getting a good left over tag in August. We burnt our points last year so we did not have any in Colorado. Going on the idea that the Colorado official would be correct we applied for a unit that requires 3 points as our first choice knowing that we were going to hunt OTC anyways.
You are talking discretionary income for the NR. Res tags will be steady and NR will be down. More tags will get turned back in (if they will take them) as the economics of this get worse and the reverberations work their way thru. But unless they
can keep the talking point going of trying to limit the spread of the virus 8 or 9 months in to this. Hunting season will take place as usual thsi fall.
my 2 cents

Last edited:
My thoughts are that based on the circle of people I talk to, which given their age and avidity, might not be an accurate sample size. I think that more people are going to apply than some might expect, knowing that if things tank worse, they can either get a tag refund or get their points restored. For those of less avidity and maybe in a different situation due to age, such as kids at home, less PTO, etc, they are more likely to just buy a point and see what happens when the storm passes.

Might be a good year to be on the alternate list in states like Nevada or Utah. Or to be hawking the leftover and returned tag list in some other states.

Summary - It's hard to compare the out of state hunting application behaviors of a debt-free 55 year-old with no kids at home to that of a 30 year-old with three kids an a mortgage.

I guess we will know when states start posting results and we can look at the application demand. Until then, it makes for interesting discussion to distract us from the reality of the times.
Fin and/or others who are much more up to speed than me on result dates for all the western states...which draws might provide a first swath of data on the thought processes and potential patterns of application? Obviously would have to be a draw where the closing period was well into March at least, and I know things are changing weekly for potential applicants.
For instance, with a March 2 close and April 15th modify I feel WY's M/S/G might be a tweener and tough to draw much inference from.

Fin and/or others who are much more up to speed than me on result dates for all the western states...which draws might provide a first swath of data on the thought processes and potential patterns of application? Obviously would have to be a draw where the closing period was well into March at least, and I know things are changing weekly for potential applicants.
For instance, with a March 2 close and April 15th modify I feel WY's M/S/G might be a tweener and tough to draw much inference from.

I would expect NM to draw roughly the 15th of April. They had a March 18th deadline for apps.

I think MT will be first indication of how things will go.

I am hoping this blows soon for the sake of the country and all of us this was going to be my first ever elk hunt and was going Co I already applied for me and my wife and payed the app fees for both elk and bear and bought us the hunting licenses required to apply I am in my 30’s with 5 kids so I fall into the age group fin mentioned If this doesn’t blow over by then and they leave the season open for non residents to still come hunt we will be staying home I’d be fine with them keeping my fees and converting this years app into a preference point if they cancel the season too

My group of contemporaries are generally middle aged, the majority are small buisness owners or tradesmen. Most with kids still in school.

Resident, I doubt many will turn back tags.

NR id bet most would. Essential or not the tradesmens markets will be sparse, be hard to backburner jobs to chase deer. Wives are pretty lenient, but dad dropping hundreds of dollars in fuel an supplies on a less than guaranteed food source might push it.

I plan on seeing a LOT more waterfowlers this fall.

Another thought. Mainly because watching mud dry on grey walls gives plenty of thinking time.

We seen the huge spike in first time gun buyers.

I know I actually thought about planting a garden(then I rememberd Randy's advice on not being handy, and gardens seem to harvest in the fall).

Do You think there will be an increase in first timers who may be awakened to where there food comes from?

Could affect my states OTC elk tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back