Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

There's alot of money out there

I can loan both of those to you if you want? They are both great books. Smoke’s book is more like a how to manual. Joe’s book is more entertaining and has really cool sketches. Smoke’s book deals mainly with Decker saddles, while Joe’s is more oriented to Sawbucks and the necessary hitches for top packs.
I picked up Smokes book just for kicks and giggles, it was very informative but also made it sound way too easy.

I picked up Smokes book just for kicks and giggles, it was very informative but also made it sound way too easy.
There’s a certain point in horse packing where you know just enough to be dangerous. You have enough knowledge to think you’re hot shit, but not enough knowledge to know when you should be terrified of the potential consequences of your actions.

Honestly, most everything is a slip knot or a half hitch. Diamond and box hitches for sawbucks/top packs are where it gets a little more complex.
Right. And most people shouldn't be top packing anyway, especially in rough country. Your friend seems to have that figured out. However, I used a single diamond hitch quite a bit. I put my folded wall tent on top and it worked well up there. Low and dense sitting equally on top of both boxes, it stayed put and didn't "swing." Also sealed the hinged box lids against snow and rain. Double diamond is just for show in my opinion. Two man affair anyway as I recall.

Not sure what you mean by box hitch? Nothing I ever encountered. I don't recall them in Smoke's class either. Basket hitch is for loads on the side, not on top. They are fastened with the same slip knot used to wrap mantaed loads. Barrel hitch is more "complicated" than basket but only slightly. Sawbuck is what I preferred although Decker trees are more adjustable, provided the "Ds" aren't cast (and it seems most commercial models are these days). Be careful using barrel hitch on sawbuck without an apadero as the pack rope has a tendency to slip around and underneath the end of saddle tree where it will gall the horse. I only used barrel hitches for hind quarters of elk. I preferred a naked sawbuck because it's considerably lighter without the apadero and provides better ventilation. Sawbuck is also much quicker to load. No need to pull the rope through the rings (except barrel hitch), just flip it over the bucks. But a naked sawbuck requires CAREFUL packing. Narrow boxes work fine with them, loose bulk wrapped in a manta not so much. An added apadero will keep things from poking the animal.

Yes, it is a science that requires mentoring. I'm thankful that I was able to do it for so long. Back in my twenties and thirties when I was working hard at the aluminum plant, I vividly remember how exhausting those solo backcountry elk trips were. It makes me tired just writing about it. Ruined my elbows but I have no regrets. Occasionally I still wake up at night thinking I need to go change the picket because the bell has stopped. The free horse has ate her fill.

Last edited:
I mean I've done 100% before so I thought 50% was reasonable 🤷‍♂️

I guess in the manual "well trained humans can pack 45-65lbs for 20-25miles a day on a reasonable trail"
You have to account for diminishing returns based upon the increasing weight of the human. For example, at my current +/- 270lbs, I would not be packing 135lbs for any significant distance. And 270lbs/100% would only be like from the garage to my truck lol

You have to account for diminishing returns based upon the increasing weight of the human. For example, at my current +/- 270lbs, I would not be packing 135lbs for any significant distance. And 270lbs/100% would only be like from the garage to my truck lol
… yeah that’s a really good point.

No, it is not an allowed charitable deduction. You get to deduct what you paid over/above market value.

They have bought something at market value, not in excess of market value. The market value is established by the bidders they are competing against who are willing to pay the same price, or close to, for the same special opportunity.

They are not bidding on a $1,200 elk tag from UTDWR. They are bidding on the guarantee. They are bidding on moving to the front of a very long line, with a correlation that the longer the line the more they are willing to bid. They are often bidding on not being confined to the season dates or geographic confines of drawing a tag for Unit X. They are bidding on an opportunity that lets them keep their place in the preference/bonus point line. The list goes on and on as to what they are paying for in excess of the draw tag any of us might acquire. They are not making these same level of contributions absent a special hunting opportunity, establishing even more so that the value of the special tag represents what they are paying for it.

Some say they tax this purchase can be claimed as a charitable deduction. Taking the deduction on your taxes and defending it under audit are two different things.

So this language on WTA TAG's website is wrong? I shouldn't take my tax advice from a tag application service?

"Licenses can also be purchased at auction. If you purchase a license at auction it will typically qualify as a tax deductible charity contribution...please call WTA TAGS at 1-800-755-TAGS(8247) or email us at [email protected] ."

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back