Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The Sage Grouse Crisis has Reached Critical Mass

I don't want to beat the west nile virus to death on this board because I know it will be dismissed by most. However, last night some late night reading about eastern turkey declines due to WNV a researcher referrers to the sage grouse as being HIGHLY SUSEPTIBLE > just more food for thought. Aside from WNV there are some lesser know viruses causing death in galliformes
I apologize if I personally seemed dismissive of WNV in general, that was not my intention, it's certainly a serious issue with grouse and many other things, what I am dismissive of is the notion that there has been an effort to suppress the seriousness of it and to purposely focus on less important issues in a politically motivated manner because that is not the case.

I know more than ever about sage grouse; very thoughtful posts. One line in the otherwise excellent article caused me to lol though. "Journalists tend to be unabashedly honest".

I am certain all sage grouse habitat has different factors causing issues, but one thing I have noted over the years:

As feral invasive horse populations increase, weeds and monoculture increases. Areas where 20 years ago (ie sand wash basin, Adobe town) had thriving solid bird populations are now are over ran with excessive amounts of horses.

The range ecology/quality in these areas is sickening and sad. There is no doubt that excessive feral horse populations have extremely negative impacts.

Also spent years in NW Colorado spraying weeds for private land owners and the BLM. Bird biologist from all over would comment about healthy the range was and how much better is was where we treated vs. not. How much earthier the range was without horses vs with...

Last edited:
The Sage grouse are pawns. Even with no ESA protection this is what is happening. You are naive if you think this has anything to do with saving Sage grouse....

The Sage grouse are pawns. Even with no ESA protection this is what is happening. You are naive if you think this has anything to do with saving Sage grouse....

Everything is a narrative if you want it to be, but when it becomes a trojan horse for something else you will never escape an infinite loop resulting in destruction of objectivity. Sure, everyone talks their book. But there is a lot of great info on this thread. Seems like there are places to agree, like ranchers and sage grouse both hate invasive grasses equally.

If the bird gets listed under the ESA, which is possible due to the activity of the DOI & USDA side since 2017, then the restrictions on ALL uses of public land are going to be immense.

I spent the last 8 years working on this daily (with a break around 2018). The overriding goal of the organizations outside of the farther left groups like CBD or Western Watersheds was to prevent a listing, and build better state plans along with reforming how minerals are developed on public lands.

The groups that want a listing are the same ones who are trying to eliminate grazing, mining, etc, even hunting. So, if the goal is to keep them off of the ES List, then we make some measured changes now in order to keep them off the list & provide a better future for them (and all of us).

It's the classic case of measuring twice to cut once.

I saw my first Sage Grouse in person last year when hunting a new to me unit - those birds are stunning. I stopped and watched them for 10-20 minutes almost every time I saw them. Believe it or not, people love their wildlife and want to protect their wildlife. One of the standard tools to achieve protection has been the ESA, which it more punitive in nature, and can be bundled into agendas unfortunately. Ideally, a less punitive model would exist for conserving species but lets be honest, Americans have a tough time facing reality, not maximizing profits, and voluntarily making sacrifices that are not in their best interest. The ESA hails from a time when both republicans and democrats shared concern over the environment. In fact, the house vote on the ESA bill was 390-12, the senate vote was 92-0. Ask yourself a couple questions here. Is there a bipartisan alternative to the ESA in todays United States? How did we arrive at this moment - a once bipartisan environmental movement that is now widely unpopular in the GOP?

The primary agenda here is conservation, people would be devastated if this bird disappeared.

"The number of sage-grouse has plummeted by 80 percent since 1965 across the charismatic bird’s 11-state western range, according to a report published today by the U.S. Geological Survey, the science agency for the Department of the Interior. Half of that decline has happened just since 2002."

I saw my first Sage Grouse in person last year when hunting a new to me unit - those birds are stunning. I stopped and watched them for 10-20 minutes almost every time I saw them. Believe it or not, people love their wildlife and want to protect their wildlife. One of the standard tools to achieve protection has been the ESA, which it more punitive in nature, and can be bundled into agendas unfortunately. Ideally, a less punitive model would exist for conserving species but lets be honest, Americans have a tough time facing reality, not maximizing profits, and voluntarily making sacrifices that are not in their best interest. The ESA hails from a time when both republicans and democrats shared concern over the environment. In fact, the house vote on the ESA bill was 390-12, the senate vote was 92-0. Ask yourself a couple questions here. Is there a bipartisan alternative to the ESA in todays United States? How did we arrive at this moment - a once bipartisan environmental movement that is now widely unpopular in the GOP?

The primary agenda here is conservation, people would be devastated if this bird disappeared.

"The number of sage-grouse has plummeted by 80 percent since 1965 across the charismatic bird’s 11-state western range, according to a report published today by the U.S. Geological Survey, the science agency for the Department of the Interior. Half of that decline has happened just since 2002."
Yes I wish ESA was different. I love sage grouse and would love more. I hate that often ESA species are used as agenda propaganda. It just makes me people skeptical of its current use.

If the bird gets listed under the ESA, which is possible due to the activity of the DOI & USDA side since 2017, then the restrictions on ALL uses of public land are going to be immense.

I spent the last 8 years working on this daily (with a break around 2018). The overriding goal of the organizations outside of the farther left groups like CBD or Western Watersheds was to prevent a listing, and build better state plans along with reforming how minerals are developed on public lands.

The groups that want a listing are the same ones who are trying to eliminate grazing, mining, etc, even hunting. So, if the goal is to keep them off of the ES List, then we make some measured changes now in order to keep them off the list & provide a better future for them (and all of us).

It's the classic case of measuring twice to cut once.
Thank you for your work with the birds. They are amazing animals.

I agree that keeping them off is key. That is a good way to put it.

Yes I wish ESA was different. I love sage grouse and would love more. I hate that often ESA species are used as agenda propaganda. It just makes me people skeptical of its current use.

Me too.

Short aside: When I was a fresh-faced kid just starting advocacy, I was told repeatedly by east coast liberals that western state legislatures wouldn't fund nongame species management by highlighting the number of those animals that are used by litigants to push for listings, which was their only way to control industry or activities they didn't like.

I think that was around $200 or $300 million ago. The ESA is an amazing tool, but it has to be applied correctly, and in the case of grouse, using the hammer of a listing is what brought many states to the table for the 2015 plans, while also giving those states the political capitol to spend on new conservation programs. That's a good use of the act - and while the act does need some reform, I think most of that can be achieved administratively, rather than legislatively. maybe someday we'll have the leadership to do that. I certainly hope so.

But without the ESA, there is no basis for any legal action so administrations have powers of a king. Sage grouse can't file a suit to argue their case. That said, I agree the ESA gets abused (see Grizzley bears) and lawsuits get ridiculous. This is because lawyers get paid for arguing not for solving problems. You have to follow the bouncing ball in this case : Trump Admin cleared use of public lands for mining in sage grouse habitat, lawsuits were filed arguing the administration didn't make a good case (following data and science and such), judge looked at the case and agreed there was a lack of due diligence and froze the action, new administration steps in and says they will look at it again. You can assign as much political color that you want on this, but it seems to be how it should work.

Thats pretty funny. I saw sage grouse all the time on reclaimed strip mine land.

But without the ESA, there is no basis for any legal action so administrations have powers of a king. Sage grouse can't file a suit to argue their case. That said, I agree the ESA gets abused (see Grizzley bears) and lawsuits get ridiculous. This is because lawyers get paid for arguing not for solving problems. You have to follow the bouncing ball in this case : Trump Admin cleared use of public lands for mining in sage grouse habitat, lawsuits were filed arguing the administration didn't make a good case (following data and science and such), judge looked at the case and agreed there was a lack of due diligence and froze the action, new administration steps in and says they will look at it again. You can assign as much political color that you want on this, but it seems to be how it should work.
I find it strange that the ESA is followed with vigor as long as it suits the goals of certain groups, but if it doesn't suit those goals it's often marginalized or ignored. Case in point are woodland caribou.

I find it strange that the ESA is followed with vigor as long as it suits the goals of certain groups, but if it doesn't suit those goals it's often marginalized or ignored. Case in point are woodland caribou.
I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Not an endemic species either, nor Huns for that matter; and that's a significant factor in how I feel about such issues.
They are not endemic but not invasive either. Pheasants and Huns filled a niche that was either always empty or created by settlement (i.e. displacement of prairie chicken and sage grouse by agriculture). Yes, I wish we could go back to precolumbian days but it ain't going to happen. Pheasants and Huns are better than nothing. As far as I can tell the two exotics coexist well with native sharptails and sage grouse

Species don't necessarily need to be exotic to be invasive. Introducing turkeys to California has been very destructive. They have displaced native quail. It is also claimed they are hard on ruff grouse but last I knew the jury was still out on that.

Last edited:
I think they tried with caribou but were late. The current blame is on wolves of course, but they have been declining for a long time. Not sure ESA fits into this under your narrative. You somehow think not enough was done? I guess it is a fair point but what do you want done? I’m guessing you are against stopping logging.

Back