PEAX Equipment

The running of the bulls

Europe

I have been asked if I attended this year and I did not. Still in Italy I have attended in past years but neither my husband or I ever "ran" with them. We have watched the "run" as well as the "bullfights". The run to me is somewhat of a joke, but the "celebration" is a lot of fun. The pictures are a bit misleading as they only let 6 bulls run each year, the other animals you see are oxen or steers, enticing the bulls to run. I may have this wrong but I think 15 to 16 people have also died during the bull run, but that number is over approx 100 years of 'bull runs" But several peopl do get hurt each year.

Anyway, in recent years the animal activists will lay on the street, nearly or completely nude, with blood splashed on them ( or paint, ketchup, whatever ) protesting this event.

The bulls run to the arena where later in the day they are killed by the matadors. The animal is then butchered and sold to restaurants and of course the restaurants advertise that they are serving the meat from the day's festivities. So the restaurants also have been harassed with nude or semi nude people smeared in red.

Like my thread about "harvesting" wildlife, how do you feel about these activities. Specifically the bull-fight, which of course is what some are objecting to and labeling as animal cruelty, because that is where the bulls are killed. But also the "Bull run". Would you watch it, run with the bulls, or think it should be banned? Would you watch a bull fight ? Would you eat the meat from these bulls at a restaurant ?

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH
When I was younger and had big travel plans me and my cousin would talk about how we would go run with the bulls one day. It is a week long party culminating in the arena. I dont know that ill ever make it now lol. If I was able to make it yes I would run for a bit. And I would eat the meat.

As far as it being right or wrong, I have a hard time passing any judgment either way and it's not my place to do so I'm not from Spain it's not my tradition. It is a cultural competition and spectacle honoring man and the bulls. Any bulls entered in the event were likely treated like royalty prior and I'm sure it is an honor among ranchers to enter bulls. The matadors take risk as well. I'd fare to say 90 percent of people would just get trampled in that ring.

Coming from a Hispanic family on my mom's side, I have a couple family members in Spain. My uncle especially likes to watch the fights. I've asked them about it and it really is a culture difference. They often talk about how well the bull is treated prior and how its seen as a great beast. They think it's an honor for the bull and that it gives the bull a chance to fight back rather than just being slaughtered like any other cow. Personally I never really understood it. There is just so much history behind it. I have seen on TV that some people are pushing the bull jumping instead. It looks really interesting and it's kind of fun to watch. They still dress up like matadors I believe and just try to jump over the charging bull rather than killing it. I am curious to see how long bull fighting will go on because some of the younger generation (such as some of my younger cousins in Spain) dont really enjoy the bull fights.

I have no problem with it. At one time, I wanted to run with the bulls. Really dumb, since I’m likely to be the slowest guy in the pack.

Coming from a Hispanic family on my mom's side, I have a couple family members in Spain. My uncle especially likes to watch the fights. I've asked them about it and it really is a culture difference. They often talk about how well the bull is treated prior and how its seen as a great beast. They think it's an honor for the bull and that it gives the bull a chance to fight back rather than just being slaughtered like any other cow. Personally I never really understood it. There is just so much history behind it. I have seen on TV that some people are pushing the bull jumping instead. It looks really interesting and it's kind of fun to watch. They still dress up like matadors I believe and just try to jump over the charging bull rather than killing it. I am curious to see how long bull fighting will go on because some of the younger generation (such as some of my younger cousins in Spain) dont really enjoy the bull fights.

I enjoyed your post and also worry about "traditions" disappearing .

I think I might try it if I was there. I have never seen a bullfight in person, but would like to. And would not hesitate for a moment to eat at one of the restaurants.

I would gladly walk over the protesters laying on the ground to get to the restaurant. Admittdly I am a bit jaded, as I deal with these people often.

can honestly say I don't really care if some want to go run with the bulls , go for it.

I believe it is a silly thing done by silly people but I have no objection to the weeding of silly people through their own Darwin choices.

I'm also of Spanish descent, and am intrigued by the many kind of weird festivals that abound in Spain. I don't have a problem with any of it. These local traditions are part of what makes cultures around the world so vibrant and interesting. Who am I to judge? I would not run, but would enjoy experiencing other parts of the tradition. I would watch a bull fight, eat the meat, etc.

I lived in Spain for a couple of years, in the Canary Islands. They didn't ever have bullfights in the islands, the people there weren't fans of it. I watched a couple of bullfights on tv, its pretty brutal, especially if the bullfighter doesn't make the final kill cleanly.

Its hard to say that they shouldn't have them, its been a part of their culture/traditions for a long time. Some of the fighters show amazing skill and bravado, but it can be really hard to watch. I certainly didn't feel bad when the bull got the upper hand and took out "el matador."

That said, I don't think I'd have any qualms eating at a restaurant that served that beef.

I can't get behind the bullfight aspect. If you're going to eat something, kill it as quickly as possible. An act is either ethical or not. Appealing to tradition doesn't change that.

I do not get bullfighting. Is it not just @#)(# fighting or dog fighting but with a bull and a man rather than two roosters or two pit bulls? The bull is stabbed pre-fight, yes? I would never use my bow to intentionally merely wound an elk to wait for a while before a finishing shot. As for eating a bull killed in a bull ring, sure, but why when could eat some beef that was not all hopped up on hormones and saturated with adrenaline. I prefer eating cow elk over a rutting bull elk that had run a mile before I shot.

I also do not get rodeo activities that seem to needlessly expose the animals to activities that really are no longer common skills needed to operate a ranch. My brother has 100 head of beef cattle and not a single lariat or horse. He has a gas-powered, four-wheel pseudo golf cart with a cage on the front to chase newborn calves to capture then put in the identifying ear tag. He tries to walk up to them a few minutes after being born but sometimes even a calf a day or two old can outrun a 60 year old guy with bad knees. Maybe update the rodeo to replace horses with those golf carts. Bull-riding never made sense as no one breaks a bull to saddle up and ride around the ranch like you would a horse. Maybe instead of roping sheep at the rodeo the task is to chase down a rolling cart and put the brake on. Replace horses in barrel racing with cart races around the barrels and several carts at once with NASCAR sponsorship trading paint in the corners.

Well, I do not understand bull fights nor rodeos though I am not going to show up with a sign to protest either. I will be in Spain in a few months and will be content to let the Spanish carry out traditions they cherish. I will probably retire there in a few years and watch the waves in Valencia so am sure is plenty to do without visiting the bull ring.

I'm also of Spanish descent, and am intrigued by the many kind of weird festivals that abound in Spain.

we went to the La Tomatina festival----once! (-;

lope hunter. I certainly respect your right to not like those things. But---- I love Rodeos, horse races and car races. I enjoyed buying a big hat and going to the Kentucky Derby , except that my horse lost. I enjoy all types of car races, I enjoy Rodeos and can not wait to get back to Arizona and watch my granddaughter barrel race. My daughter enjoyed the hunter/jumper type horses which took us to Europe for a bit of Fox hunting many years ago, and everyone but the fox loved it. if I was young and had a ranch with cows I would saddle up a horse and ride out to visit my cows., often. Would it be easier to just jump on a golf cart, -----no feeding, shoeing, vet bills, no time needed to put a bridle and saddle on and to brush after your done, of course---but I would still do it. But I respect your right not to like the same things I do and thank you for your post and opinion sir

Last edited:
My father is from Spain. I have been over several times to visit family and I am going over again in a few weeks.
I have been an avid hunter my whole life, going to multiple states and countries specifically to hunt.
Bull fights disgust me. Mainly because of the use of the picador.
That's the guy on the horse who goes out with a lance and cuts the muscles in the bull's neck so he can't swing his head as effectively and to also bleed him and wear him down.
To me, this amounts to torture. As others have said, if you are going to kill something I believe you are obligated to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Now, if one of these "brave" matadors would go out there and try his little performance with a perfectly healthy fighting bull?
I would pay for front row seats, that's a fair fight.

It's difficult to comment for some of us when we weren't brought up in and around these 'traditions', I tend not to poke my nose into other countries 'traditions', especially when in England we have some very questionable 'traditions', but you asked the question Europe, for me bull fighting is no more no less than torture and cruelty to an animal just for human gratification.
Fair enough the meat is not wasted, but I can't imagine having gone through what it has prior to death it can't taste that great, can it?

Cheers

Richard

these posts mirror the comments made off the forum when this was discussed. some for maintaining or at least not interfering in other peoples traditions, but not their cup of tea personally

I did think it was interesting that Hunting Wife, Mtelkhuntress, Panda Bear and myself leaned more toward the acceptance of their traditions, specifically the bull fights, than the men.

I know we enjoyed fox hunting, but that is another very controversial topic and those against it has has succesful in getting it banned in some countries. A fellow I spoke to once thought it was a cruel and unnecessary sport but had no problem hunting mountain lions and racoons with hounds, maybe it was just the horses he didn't like

Anyway, interesting replies and I thank you for them. The conversation we had off the forum, which promoted this thread and the statements made off the forum were approx the same as the ones posted here .

As far as the running of bulls, my wife was just telling me about the people who were injured during the running of the bulls yesterday. She wondered why is it only men that do this? I'm sure there are a few women who participate but not many. I think most of them are smarter than the men.
I don't think there would be much of an adrenaline rush if it was "the running of the sheep" and that's why those guys do it.

^one day he buys a climate polluting diesel pickup, the next he’s assigning assumptions of gender to total strangers across the ocean on another continent.
I declare gr8 a casualty of Trumpism.

Ouch! Trump? Really? Thats below the belt. Even for me... 😎
Az. Boy? Native?

I have run with the bulls two different years at the San Fermin Festival in Pamplona, Spain. Very dangerous and another somewhat foolish undertaking before I met my wife, but I never got gored or trampled. Traditionally, only men run but some women now participate. No entry fees or applications. Just show up at 6:00 am with your running shoes and haul ass once the third cannon goes off.

San Fermin is one of the best damn all-night mega-parties I ever attended in my younger days. People diving off tall statutes in the city center into the crowd. Craziness! Comparable to Mardi Gras in New Orleans or Carnival in Rio. Lost quite a few brain cells there.

I will not answer the question of the morality or ethics of a bullfight. I am a proud American and was glad they let me visit. Who the hell am I to judge their long-term Spanish tradition? I was only a guest at the bullfights.

P.S. I still have my red scars from that awesome party.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back