The REAL (REASONS) hunting is declining

Grew up in Colorado and was competing professionally in snowboarding before I graduated high school. I was riding or training 7 days a week from August to May. I loved it but if I had to choose now it would be hunting without a second thought. Hindsight is 20-20 though
I agree with the point about sports, I never did any high school sports but the wrestlers were trying to recruit me because I was benching more than anyone in my weight class. Maybe I would have been a good wrestler and maybe I could have gotten a scholarship who knows but I always worked and I put hunting before everything else so I'm glad I didn't do any sports, I know a lot of the football players didn't have a lot of opportunities other than the weekend or opening week before football started up.

I've tried to get my friends hunting and one of my friends has hunted in the past, most younger people in my area don't hunt and it's mostly older people 45+ who do hunt. Like you said most young people are addicted to phones and video games and you couldn't be more right about that fact also this comes back to the cost issue of getting into hunting it's hard to convince a young person to spend $300-500 on an entry level all around gear setup. I think states should have programs to recruit young hunters and have a hunter Ed teachers take new hunters hunting. I saw an article about how Pennsylvania does this and it's having a positive effect on people. A lot of the new hunters recruited weren't people who come from hunting families, I read that a lot of the people being mentored were foodies who wanted to have fresh organic meat and one was a Haitian immigrant who was interested in hunting, we need to recruit people like this to expand our small tent.
As I upgrade my equipment I keep a box of loaner gear. It’s free for them minus the tag. Make it a goal to take a new hunter every year. My brother three years ago, wife two years ago, A Vegetarian co worker last year, father this year, who knows next year.

I’m not sure hunter numbers should really be our biggest focus. I’m starting to think hunter numbers are like the glory days of mule deer in the 60s. It was great, but it ain’t coming back.

Lots of boomers grew up hunting. It was a means of gathering food, and one they learned from the Greatest Generation. It wasn’t so much recreation, although comraderie and heritage were a huge part of the hunting tradition. The rate of attrition as boomer age out of hunting is higher than the recruitment rate.

We have some great mentoring and education programs. If you are going to talk about tangible obstacles to entry, I think lack of access and places to go is one of the biggest. It’s also one of the biggest reasons hunters leave the sport. I’d much rather see any additional money and effort go to places to hunt. I don’t think old codgers are just looking the other way. I see a very dedicated bunch of hunter ed instructors who really give it their all year in and year out.

Personally I think the far more relevant conversations to be had are how do we adapt our conservation funding models to offset the loss in hunters. Outdoor recreation is going through the roof, these people enjoy the wildlife, have an impact on the resource, yet aren’t helping fund it. It’s not a new concept that wildlife resources add to the states’ economies. There is a dollar value to it in quail of life and the business they can attract.

Hunting is done at the convenience of non hunters. I worry far more about the non hunters understanding of hunting and how it plays into the bigger picture of conservation than I do about maintaining a static number of hunters that may simply be naturally unsustainable.

I've tried to get my friends hunting and one of my friends has hunted in the past, most younger people in my area don't hunt and it's mostly older people 45+ who do hunt. Like you said most young people are addicted to phones and video games and you couldn't be more right about that fact also this comes back to the cost issue of getting into hunting it's hard to convince a young person to spend $300-500 on an entry level all around gear setup. I think states should have programs to recruit young hunters and have a hunter Ed teachers take new hunters hunting. I saw an article about how Pennsylvania does this and it's having a positive effect on people. A lot of the new hunters recruited weren't people who come from hunting families, I read that a lot of the people being mentored were foodies who wanted to have fresh organic meat and one was a Haitian immigrant who was interested in hunting, we need to recruit people like this to expand our small tent.

There are a growing number of youth hunter programs. I participate in one in texas called Texas Youth Hunting Program where for $150 a youth and guardian would spend the weekend with around 6 other youth hunters and could harvest a doe. They also did training during the hunt about laws, how to clean a deer, and hunting ethics. It also makes for an interesting experience when your hunting turkeys and have a herd of wildebeest and zebras go by. Colorado has a similar program.

The main problem is that you kicked down the door with guns drawn and demanded a discussion while claiming the real reason is what you've stated. If you are looking for discussion, you've left little room for a debate.

If you want differing views, I'll bite.

My opinion is that it simply isn't a priority anymore. For example, why hunt when you can buy steaks any time you want? I compare it to a gym membership. In that you can have everything you need to work out but it is intrinsic. Once it's a priority, you will go to the gym. Similarly to hunting, even without a mentor you can read and learn. It boils down to a personal commitment. Frankly, that's too hard for some people just like working out is too hard.

But I don't think you came on here for a healthy debate. You're instigating and responding defensively.

A small piece of advice, learn to adapt to your environment. Don't demand for people, that have an enormous amount of experience, to listen to you. I have very little experience myself so I'm not included in that group.

Instead of picking a fight with this forum, go be a part of the solution.

I’m not sure hunter numbers should really be our biggest focus. I’m starting to think hunter numbers are like the glory days of mule deer in the 60s. It was great, but it ain’t coming back.

Lots of boomers grew up hunting. It was a means of gathering food, and one they learned from the Greatest Generation. It wasn’t so much recreation, although comraderie and heritage were a huge part of the hunting tradition. The rate of attrition as boomer age out of hunting is higher than the recruitment rate.

We have some great mentoring and education programs. If you are going to talk about tangible obstacles to entry, I think lack of access and places to go is one of the biggest. It’s also one of the biggest reasons hunters leave the sport. I’d much rather see any additional money and effort go to places to hunt. I don’t think old codgers are just looking the other way. I see a very dedicated bunch of hunter ed instructors who really give it their all year in and year out.

Personally I think the far more relevant conversations to be had are how do we adapt our conservation funding models to offset the loss in hunters. Outdoor recreation is going through the roof, these people enjoy the wildlife, have an impact on the resource, yet aren’t helping fund it. It’s not a new concept that wildlife resources add to the states’ economies. There is a dollar value to it in quail of life and the business they can attract.

Hunting is done at the convenience of non hunters. I worry far more about the non hunters understanding of hunting and how it plays into the bigger picture of conservation than I do about maintaining a static number of hunters that may simply be naturally unsustainable.
I have to completly disagree with you on the issue that hunter numbers isn't the biggest issue facing hunters. The whole idea of modern conservation is responsible hunting is good for conservation which is true. You can say funding needs to be restructured but I disagree. It's better to have 5 hunters buying a 20 dollar license than 1 hunter buying a 100 dollar license. Besides is that one hunter now going to shoot 5 deer? I know this is a simplified example but you get my point. Land access is a big issue and definitely one of the biggest issues out there but you need to remember this isn't 50 years ago and there's more urban sprawl and less land to hunt. I remember talking to two older gentleman at Cabela's for probably an hour who were telling me about their deer camp that their friend group eventually lost and that the areas they used to hunt are un huntable because the shopping malls have been built near their old hunting ground and they can't shoot near them. Now they hunt public land. And for those who say public land isn't quality, the gentleman showed me the deer he shot and it was a very nice 8 point. Big deer are our there even on public you just have to work hard for them. It would be great to have more land to hunt but buying land is super expensive and there's less and less huntable land due to development and we obviously can't stop development. Like I said in most states there's plenty of public land, it may be pressured and it's definitely no "trophy managed property" but the deer are there and if you hunt hard enough you will be successful even on highly pressured properties.

The main problem is that you kicked down the door with guns drawn and demanded a discussion while claiming the real reason is what you've stated. If you are looking for discussion, you've left little room for a debate.

If you want differing views, I'll bite.

My opinion is that it simply isn't a priority anymore. For example, why hunt when you can buy steaks any time you want? I compare it to a gym membership. In that you can have everything you need to work out but it is intrinsic. Once it's a priority, you will go to the gym. Similarly to hunting, even without a mentor you can read and learn. It boils down to a personal commitment. Frankly, that's too hard for some people just like working out is too hard.

But I don't think you came on here for a healthy debate. You're instigating and responding defensively.

A small piece of advice, learn to adapt to your environment. Don't demand for people, that have an enormous amount of experience, to listen to you. I have very little experience myself so I'm not included in that group.

Instead of picking a fight with this forum, go be a part of the solution.
Look dude you're really getting caught up on the name of the post? What should I title it? Fake reasons why hunting is declining? Come on I couldn't care less if you think I don't want a discussion. So by you're logic if I say I want a discussion not memes, jokes, random criticism because of my age that means that I don't want to have an actual discussion? As for your point that you think people aren't interested in hunting anymore and have other priorities I can certainly agree with that. For most people hunting takes a backseat to video games and social media. Like I said I love debate and discussion on actual issues but I don't really care for memes and people getting offended at "ok boomer"

Take my opinion for what you paid for it. Yes, I would rather have five hunters buying tags. Answer my quest how you make hunting a higher priority for people?

Also, I’m not sure you got my drift on restructuring funding. If you did, you wouldn’t have used your one hunter buying a 100 dollar tag example.

I’m also not suggesting we buy land. I’m saying we should be enhancing and expanding public access programs.

I’ll go work harder now.

Look dude you're really getting caught up on the name of the post? What should I title it? Fake reasons why hunting is declining? Come on I couldn't care less if you think I don't want a discussion. So by you're logic if I say I want a discussion not memes, jokes, random criticism because of my age that means that I don't want to have an actual discussion? As for your point that you think people aren't interested in hunting anymore and have other priorities I can certainly agree with that. For most people hunting takes a backseat to video games and social media. Like I said I love debate and discussion on actual issues but I don't really care for memes and people getting offended at "ok boomer"
You are upset with the bees after you kicked the hive??

@Elk Bugler, here’s a hint, worth what you paid for it. If you want conversation, you need to learn to direct it and shape it. You’re too busy getting in a war of words and defending yourself and your hypothesis.

I appreciate your passion, but you may need to chill out a little.

Take my opinion for what you paid for it. Yes, I would rather have five hunters buying tags. Answer my quest how you make hunting a higher priority for people?

Also, I’m not sure you got my drift on restructuring funding. If you did, you wouldn’t have used your one hunter buying a 100 dollar tag example.

I’m also not suggesting we buy land. I’m saying we should be enhancing and expanding public access programs.

I’ll go work harder now.
I think it's a great idea to increase access to existing lands and improve habitat. But it's still pricey and I think more federal and state money in general should be going to conservation but that's all decided by politicians. But let's say there's a landlocked piece of public land that's blocked by 20 acres of private I definitely think the state or federal government should but that land to open up public access. This is much more productive than buying large swaths of private land not saying you're suggesting that but I know some people do advocate for this and it's not price effective or realistic. Also I think opening up some county and state property to hunting is definitely a great a to increase access. I know a lot of parks are opening up land to controlled hunts to manage deer hunters and this is a great way to increase opportunity and access.

As for increasing engagement and promoting hunting this falls more on the hunters feet than anything. It is our responsibility to promote hunting in a positive light and try to recruit other hunters. Talk to friends, family, and co workers about hunting and probably atlesst one person will be interested. Also some states have programs to help new hunters like the one I mentioned in Pennsylvania.

Thanks I agree earlier generations grew up in a less urban country without phones, video games (maybe a Nintendo 64), computers social media etc so outdoor recreation was really all some of them had. On top of that more people live in cities and suburbs than ever and have limited opportunity to engage in outdoor recreation.

that makes me feel old hearing you reference N64 as being old.... Father Time is undefeated after all.

OK my 2 cents yup hunter number are declining Propably due to young folks are lazy and dont want to leave the house or turn off some gadget ( well for the most part ) and yes ask most business owners but I dont get to worked up about it dont spend much time thinking about it and dont care very much about it. I do my part by teaching a few kids over the yrs to hunt or fish and taking my grandson out not much else I can do

I remember as a kid and all the way up until I left home it looked like the orange army in the mountains. You could not find a place to park in most areas and there were tents and campers galore anywhere big enough to hold them. This was all on public land however and it was a sort of accepted norm to see a ton of people (welcomed by most actually because it got things moving according to the old timers) It was more of a social gathering with hunting tossed in than anything. Fast forward 20 or 25 years and now those same ridges and wide spots are empty. You rarely see a hunting camp outside of certain places and you can sit all day without hearing a shot.
Thinking back on it I cant remember seeing many kids in those camps. I guess I would have remembered since I wasn't much more than one myself then either. Most were made up of middle age or much older guys who took one of their vacation weeks to go to deer camp. Those guys are all either past tense now or retired and no longer have the drive to go because their friends cant go or wont go. This last example is one of the reasons that the deer camp I used to enjoy as a kid no longer exists. The only way to hunt around those guys anymore is to visit a graveyard.

Hunting is often difficult to be successful at. People want instant gratification and want the easy path.
Not sure why the private landowner gets a bad rap about access. Would you allow someone to shoot a high powered rifle and climb trees in your back yard? Just too much liability.
Specialization has thrown up a roadblock for initially getting into hunting. A newbie needs, or is told they need, the following:
Bow
Muzzleloader
.22 rifle
Turkey shotgun
Duck shotgun
Quail/dove shotgun
Big game rifle
That’s a bit overwhelming for starters.

When I was in high school everyone planned their fall around hunting. By the time I hit 30 most of my friends quit or used it as an excuse to drive around. My daughter loved hunting and still does but in high school her friends put so much pressure on her that she quit for social acceptance. After high school she came back to hunt with me just because she liked it.

The sad part I find a large portion of wives and their mothers refuse to eat elk and deer. Some because that was all there was to eat when they were young hence you eat wild meat if you are poor. The wild meat becomes jerky, sausage, etc. at best. A portion of our local society uses hunting as an excuse for 5 weeks of a camping party. As was told to me at one time that out of 25 years of hunting camp they had only killed 2 elk and they made sure those folks weren't invited back the next year. It disrupted the poker game.

In some of the states like Washington I found the seasons so short that it wasn't worth the effort to really learn the ground.

Over the nearly 6 six decades of elk hunting I have rarely met anyone over 30 in the back country. Everyone I see road hunting has white hair. I find the majority of tag holders are shooters not hunters. Societel pressures have reduced the romance and time limitations as well as energy has reduced the effort needed to get good at hunting.

Maybe things really haven't changed. My partner and I are children of fathers that liked hunting as an occasional event that diminished with snow depth and the decrease in tempature. We started hunting with our parents and reached a point that our parents came hunting with us - occasionally. I find bird hunting is getting tougher because of the private land access issues hence less pleasurable. Elk hunting will last me out for the years I have left and there aren't any deer left due to the inept management of the Mt FWP. Predators can't be managed the same as prey species. Funny how that was presented to me as a student in wildlife management but seemingly none of it stuck with the agency.

As a guy that teaches hunter education courses I have an inside view of the demographic of HTE students in my area of Pennsylvania. In addition to the natural decline of hunters from the baby boomer generation as they age out or pass on the next the largest group that is contributing to the decline of hunter numbers is the parents... whether that parent be 30 years old or 65 years old. While I applaud them for getting as far as an HTE course, there's 3 reasons I see for the kids I teach not following through and becoming hunters.

1) Too busy- Both the parents and kids are involved in too many things: work, school, yoga, soccer, baseball, basketball, swimming, volleyball, track, boy scouts, girl scouts, 4H, karate, etc. Many of these are overlapping, time consuming, require travel, and are expensive. You're really setting yourself up for failure if you are going to try and make a kid choose between basketball with his friends or sitting in a tree stand.

2) The parents themselves quit on hunting. Often the parents have already fallen out of favor with hunting and are on their way out by the time they have the kid attend an HTE class. Often, the parents only signed their child up due to the peer pressure from other friends that have kids signed up or at the urge of someone like a grandparent. Plenty of times the parents have already quit hunting or are only fair weather/opening day hunters. It doesn't take much to push these people to quit all together as the simply don't care enough.

3) All anyone cares about is deer hunting.... Small game hunting is a dying art and is generally skipped all together. I'd wager that at least 80% of all students I teach will not hunt small game of any kind as their first hunting experience. Day 1 will be in a deer stand in December. These parents have forgotten how insanely boring and borderline torturous it is to a kid to sit silently in a tree stand or blind in subzero temperatures for hours. If they had the general woodsmanship and hunting lessons that are learned in the small game woods while experiencing successes and failures we would see a lot kids turning into well rounded lifetime hunters instead of the type of adult listed in point number 2.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back