Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thanks Mr. Outfitter...

CBranch

Last year, after my 5th year elk hunting WY, I was tired of the limitation WY puts on NR's, not allowing big game hunting in Wilderness Areas without a guide, EVERYONE's Federal Wilderness Areas. After a year of planning and a scouting trip from Ohio this summer, a friend and I hiked 11 miles, two mules in tow, into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness in MT; general elk and deer tags in hand.

After hunting a drainage we had initially concentrated on for a couple days, it was apparent the elk had moved after the early snow storm a few weeks ago. We did spot 2 bulls and 4 cows on the opposite side of the canyon, a couple miles away, so we decided to make a move and hunt the elk we could see.

When we moved down to the main canyon, still 8 miles from the trailhead, (1.5 miles upstream of the Outfitter camp) we were almost immediately met by two guides and their each two clients on horseback, along the main forest trail. They were riding up and down the canyon on horseback spotting for elk , and admittedly were not having much luck so far, down in the canyon.

I told them we planned to hike up and hunt high the next morning in the drainage above where we were setting up camp . As I started my ascent well before daylight toward where we had spotted elk the day before, I noticed 5 horses and a person parked 100 yrds north of our camp, at the mouth of the drainage I wad heading up. At first I thought, "Well, they must be trying the same thing we are with their clients, not having much luck lower in elevation." I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG.

Once I got up there, the tracks in the snow told a different story. There were boot tracks all through the bedding areas and where we had spotted elk. My partner ended up staying near camp that morning and took a nice whitetail buck early. He talked to one of the guides as his 4 colleagues returned from the mountain side. Four young men, hired hands, without guns OR orange returned to the horses and guide about 11AM.

My friend asked the guide, who seemed pretty nice, if they had a problem with us hunting in the area since they had clients. (His question, not mine). The guide said he didn't mind, after all it is public land, although he added the outfitter was not happy. he then said, as the young men returned to the horses, "It doesn't matter though, you can go up in there all you want now, won't make a difference."

Once I returned, finding the elk had been well run out of that specific area, we put all the pieces together. They sent some young guys up there to run off the elk we planned to hunt, so we did not have a chance at them.

We saw the guides and clients up and down the canyon all week, rarely getting off their horses, much less doing any hiking up. It was clear the Outfitter just wanted to try to run off the elk we were hunting, because he didn't want us there or killing elk in front of his clients.

POOR SHOW OUTFITTER. As a person that is licensed in my profession, like an outfitter or guide must be, my profession has an ethics committee; too bad the Outfitter and Guide profession does not. I was aggravated at their antics to say the least. I understand the outfitter didn't technically do anything illegal, but I was sorely disappointed in the approach they took. I hope this doesn't happen often but fear its probably more common than I would like to think. I wondered if anyone else has run into this?

We ended up 8 days in, bagged a couple deer, 60 miles on the boots, 12,000 ft total elevation gain on the GPS altimeter, and a good learning experience, but did not get our elk this year.

Good luck out there.

Attachments

• PA300473-f.jpg
    PA300473-f.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 2,072
Sorry to hear that, my buddy had a similar problem with some guides during bow season in the paradise valley, it's extremely disappointing...

Looks a magic place to hunt. Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned, guessing you will be a little cautious in what your telling other hunters/guides in those remote areas in the future.
What were the elk numbers like in there? Much bugling? At least you guys cut your deer tags, backpack style, thats neat.

Sounds like a bad deal.

Truth be told, there are crappy guides and crappy DIY hunters. Labeling the title and not the individual, is a mistake we make all too often.

You're always better off acting as if you don't know a thing when you talk to people out hunting. There is no better feeling than packing an animal past an outfitter and his clients and seeing the look on their faces. Priceless. We did it one year over here up Cowboy Heaven and you'd of thought we shot their Grandma.

Good luck next year

You're always better off acting as if you don't know a thing when you talk to people out hunting. There is no better feeling than packing an animal past an outfitter and his clients and seeing the look on their faces. Priceless. We did it one year over here up Cowboy Heaven and you'd of thought we shot their Grandma.

Good luck next year

Ditto. "Elk? What elk? Im out here bird watchin, haven't even noticed any elk."

Tight lips is my rule when I'm out on the trail or I tell them a place several ridges away... Works for me, bad deal right there, the horses must have pee'd in there Cheerios.... lol
Matt

Douchebaggery knows no bounds(hunters and outfitters), it just seems to be amplified when $$$ is involved. Even worse when they are using public land to make that $$$ :/ Glad you guys got some deer for the freezer.

A Texan and his young son overheard our set up plans years ago during dinner at a small lodge/restaurant in Platoro. He was amiable enough and talked the good talk wishing us luck..etc. He busted a decent 5x right in the middle of us the opening morning....celebrated vociferously. Chagrined, yes we were, but hey, our fault. Karma...he borrows two panniered mules from the lodge owner where we were all cabin'd..... doesn't know squat about loading or handling mules. The mule with the antlers and some of the meat freaks and runs off...later found expired with no cargo. Don't think he ever paid the owner for his dumbassery. Folks can sure fool you sometimes.

Looks like a great hunt in awesome country, congrats on the deer.

Not that it matters but do you know which outfitter? There's one over there that I haven't heard many positive things about.

I hate a$$holes of any profession that pull chicketsh!t moves like this. I ran into this kind of stuff in the Gardiner area in the 90's.

What really sucks to me is the 4 young guides / wranglers that were put up to it by the lazy SOB (I'm calling him lazy because he didn't do it himself). Hopefully these kind of "ethics" won't be passed along to them. Who knows what else those young guys are being taught.

I think it's great that you stuck it out and made a successful hunt out of the situation.

Not sure how this couldn't be construed as hunter harassment. If they weren't hunting, and they were up there to do nothing but ruin your hunt, I think you have a pretty solid case to take to the F&G... I wouldn't stop there though, talk to the sheriff, Forest Service (or who ever issued his use permit0, and licensing board.

Write down everything you can remember, and start sending emails and making phone calls.

Even if it goes no where, there will be a record of complaint.

Give them as little info as possible, they are not all bad. you never know though. Most have offer to pack out our game for us when we were successful. You never know when you will find a bad egg though.

I had two different guides from USO stop and tell me I was not allowed to hunt a mountain in NM years ago. They had trucks full of customers. Said the outfitter had leased the hill and it was private ground. I pulled out a map and had clearly marked the property lines and told them to foff. Climbed straight up that mountain and sat down until a nice 360 bull showed up. After the ML shot here comes the guide and customer and asked how the heck I got there so fast. It was a steep climb. They lied and the elk died. :-{)

Not sure how this couldn't be construed as hunter harassment. If they weren't hunting, and they were up there to do nothing but ruin your hunt, I think you have a pretty solid case to take to the F&G... I wouldn't stop there though, talk to the sheriff, Forest Service (or who ever issued his use permit0, and licensing board.

Write down everything you can remember, and start sending emails and making phone calls.

Even if it goes no where, there will be a record of complaint.

Agree, please do this.

While I agree that what the outfitters and his posse did was dirty, I can't see any way the 'law' could get involved. "Mr. Officer, we were just up there walking around and looking for elk on public land"....

I had two different guides from USO stop and tell me I was not allowed to hunt a mountain in NM years ago. They had trucks full of customers. Said the outfitter had leased the hill and it was private ground. I pulled out a map and had clearly marked the property lines and told them to foff. Climbed straight up that mountain and sat down until a nice 360 bull showed up. After the ML shot here comes the guide and customer and asked how the heck I got there so fast. It was a steep climb. They lied and the elk died. :-{)

Stories like this warm my heart. I dream of such situations, especially when I had a guide from USO call me the other day and acted like a total richard.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back