Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thanks John, but u suck now get out!

Pretty amazing moment. As the US celebrated black athletes in the public relations battle with the soviet block that made the Olympics so compelling back then, these young men (and women) couldn’t even get a cup of coffee in a third of the states in the US. There are still folks who are alive who lived under that most vile of legal systems.

I'm going to disagree with him on his main point, but I can definitely agree on this point. "...we should instead devote greater attention toward civics and ensuring students understand our democratic processes and how they can be involved"

What an incredible waste of time and effort. Sufficient to today is the evil thereof. Too many problems today to worry about what John Muir thought about anything other than wilderness (and I co-founded a chapter of the Sierra Club).

My father's ranch foreman was black ,and he put up with me and my sister begging to ride, and was considered a member of the family. None of the white cowboys felt any differently as far as I could tell. I wasn't aware until much later in life that blacks were still mistreated in other parts of the country; thought it was abhorrent then and do now. Marxism, and kowtowing to bullies, however, is not the answer. Anyone who has been in a 7th grade schoolyard knows that, but somehow our wise and mighty do not.

As far as names go, just follow Edward Abbey's dictum and name everything the "National Money-Mint National Park", Redwood Division, Grasslands Division, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to disagree with him on his main point, but I can definitely agree on this point. "...we should instead devote greater attention toward civics and ensuring students understand our democratic processes and how they can be involved"
It would be so nice if far more people had an intelligent understanding of the way government works and how to involve themselves in different levels of it.

And to the republic, for which it stands...

A lost treasure first period each morning. Inspired pride in our country, and the cultured setting to lead the school day.

And to the republic, for which it stands...

A lost treasure first period each morning. Some aspect inspire pride in our country, and the cultured setting to lead the school day.
The Pledge of Allegiance is great, but does absolutely nothing for furthering an understanding of governmental function. It would liken it to learning about COVID from a meme.

Sorry in advance for the offense, but PhDs should be reserved for mathematics and the "hard sciences". For everything else, a masters will do. And pointing close to home, I HATE when lawyers say that they too are "doctors" because a JD is a "juris doctorate". "B" as in "B", "S" as in "S" (and I am not referring to the degree). Some say the US spends way to much on medical care, heck I think one of our biggest waste areas are advanced degrees and associated literature that have no actual need - how is humanity helped by my brother in law's PhD in french poetry that cost $150,000.
I guess Australia was following this thread ;)

I believe relating it (our American Pledge of Allegiance) to the quality of a meme is a bit of a stretch. I understand your opinion however, a habit that props American pride, cultivates young ones to advance understanding of our Republic.

With myself and others in my class during our school days it was a pride-filled moment that kept our heads set straight.

If others don't follow this line of thought, all respect. From my perspective though, Americans lost a bit of positive energy each start of the school day, and in life when this American pledge was washed away.

I believe relating it (our American Pledge of Allegiance) to the quality of a meme is a bit of a stretch. I understand your opinion however, a habit that props American pride, cultivates young ones to advance understanding of our Republic.

With myself and others in my class during our school days it was a pride-filled moment that kept our heads set straight.

If others don't follow this line of thought, all respect. From my perspective though, Americans lost a bit of positive energy each start of the school day, and in life when this American pledge was washed away.
I hear you and am generally ambivalent about pledge/no pledge, but from my experience, the pledge either had no impact on folks, or its impact seemed to somehow substituted for actually knowing our history and how our government works. Heck, most folks don't even know that the congress didn't adopt the pledge until 1942 and that inclusion of "under god" didn't happen until the mid-1950's.

Somehow the pressures of the cold war and pushback on the civil rights movement caused an emphasis on an over-simplified semi-mythical "litmus test" version of American history (I call this the cracker-jack American history). As someone who loves this country and its grand experiment, I have always found this disheartening. The fact that we have remained strong while struggling with many divergent perspectives throughout our history, including a wide divergence of opinions by the founding fathers, to me is evidence of what is great about this nation and provides a reason for hope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back