Thanks John, but u suck now get out!

Fickle mob followers of the, "Only Black Lives Matter" hold $ Sierra Club solicits memberships at the expense of a sacrificial dead founder.

Next, any "white" family name will be scrutinized to change their name/crest due to past generation questionable race comment(s), etc.

BTW, anyone hear <HT censored political party> push for a change to the name, John Wayne Airport due to a past comment made by tv cowboy Wayne himself?

Boycott John Wayne!

Snowflake society... for the loss.

I grew up in Montana during the Custer shift as I call it. Initially in my life Custer was a hero, and then the true stories started being taught. Then I learned about Chief Joseph and all sorts of battles. My eyes were opened. Was Custer all bad?

Until I read that article all I knew of John Muir was his conservationist side. I had no idea about his, and the Sierra Clubs, truth. Can someone be a sinner and a saint?

We glorify people. We align with them. We act as if our leaders and heroes are perfect. We act as if they can’t be heroes or leaders if they aren’t flawless. That’s a trap. We, and these people, must accept that we all are flawed. We all make mistakes. We must admit them, grow, and learn.

So what do we do? Where is the line? Oh, there’s always a shifting line. That can be a good thing. It shifted when the US became independent. It shifted after the civil war. So, where is your line? Why?

I believe we need to shift away from blind celebration of our heroes and move to rousing celebration of events. That allows us to celebrate individuals in a way that recognizes an achievement, and does not idealize them.

A summary of the words of John; then you will know the truth, and it will set you free. And Dave... Chappelle, You know, to be able to do something great in your life, you're gonna have to realize your failures. You're gonna have to embrace them and figure out how to overcome it.

You won't find many people from that era that didn't say or do something that is considered a foul now. Everyone has something. It was indicative of that time and much change would happen from then to now...
Exactly we are focusing so much time and effort on righting the past that we can accomplish anything in the present. What’s done is done. We gotta move on. I don’t agree with slavery in fact I find the idea of one man owning another barbaric and abhorrent but I’m not gonna spend my life apologizing to descendants of slaves when I’ve never owned any myself. I’m gonna live my life now and the offended parties would be better off doing so as well. If we dig deep enough every race, religion, ethnicity, ect. has been wrong or mistreated in some way at some time. It’s a waste of the present to lose today focusing on yesterday.

Honestly... The Sierra Club has navigated this beautifully.

Hunting and firearms orgs (looking at you NRA) need to shut up and watch how this is done.

SC is totally owning their past, no shying away, no trying to down play it, they are controlling the narrative about their organisation.

1595516640092.png

Honestly kinda reminds me of the rap battle in 8mile where B rabbit basically just steals every line of his opponent by bringing it up first...

SC is also taking very proactive steps to show that they are actually trying to address issues within their organisation.

1595517065092.png

Meanwhile groups that represent sportsman always seem to have this external locus of control, we never take responsibility for our history and work to improve it, we just blame everything on someone or something else.

call me ignorant

but i have this feeling in my gut that even the anti slavery folks of yesteryear (the 1800s) would be considered pretty racist by today's standards.

hard to find a human from that time period that had it all figured out; or right now for that matter!

Can you imagine how many name changes, monuments torn down, etc if women were not as civilized over the terrible women's suffrage era?

Family relatives would never throw such childish tantrums, such as destroying communities with such violence, inciting death of law enforcement, etc...

As with other historically commonplace settings, how far back is the line for this fickle mob?
Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria? Ottoman Empire? Genghis Khan?

Exactly we are focusing so much time and effort on righting the past that we can accomplish anything in the present. What’s done is done. We gotta move on. I don’t agree with slavery in fact I find the idea of one man owning another barbaric and abhorrent but I’m not gonna spend my life apologizing to descendants of slaves when I’ve never owned any myself. I’m gonna live my life now and the offended parties would be better off doing so as well. If we dig deep enough every race, religion, ethnicity, ect. has been wrong or mistreated in some way at some time. It’s a waste of the present to lose today focusing on yesterday.

For me it can feel the same way. I’ve strove to avoid the feelings of shame that can arise. Then I took some great classes in my Masters program. I’m so disconnected from others stories. Did you know Dave Chappelle and most black people of African descent my age have great grandparents that were born slaves? I didn’t. I was in a class with a retired finding himself black non-traditional student that went to segregated schools in the south. I was clueless. His stories were horrific, and not mine to share. The myth of everyone having an equal opportunity feels great, but it isn’t reality. I was lucky. I was born to educated middle class people that provided me tremendous opportunities. Shit, I almost blew it partying. I had to fall on my face to see the dirt. As a public school teacher I see it all the time. The haves and the have nots exist.

I grew up in Montana during the Custer shift as I call it. Initially in my life Custer was a hero, and then the true stories started being taught. Then I learned about Chief Joseph and all sorts of battles. My eyes were opened. Was Custer all bad?

Until I read that article all I knew of John Muir was his conservationist side. I had no idea about his, and the Sierra Clubs, truth. Can someone be a sinner and a saint?

We glorify people. We align with them. We act as if our leaders and heroes are perfect. We act as if they can’t be heroes or leaders if they aren’t flawless. That’s a trap. We, and these people, must accept that we all are flawed. We all make mistakes. We must admit them, grow, and learn.

So what do we do? Where is the line? Oh, there’s always a shifting line. That can be a good thing. It shifted when the US became independent. It shifted after the civil war. So, where is your line? Why?

I believe we need to shift away from blind celebration of our heroes and move to rousing celebration of events. That allows us to celebrate individuals in a way that recognizes an achievement, and does not idealize them.

A summary of the words of John; then you will know the truth, and it will set you free. And Dave... Chappelle, You know, to be able to do something great in your life, you're gonna have to realize your failures. You're gonna have to embrace them and figure out how to overcome it.
Yeah, everyone sins even the best of us. That doesn't negate the great things they achieve. Everyone pushing to for change needs to look within themselves at the changes they can make first.

At this point I'm waiting for the Lincoln and MLK backlash.

Everybody rolls over better than my dog. There is a big difference between acknowledging your past flaws in turn using that to better the future and acknowledging your past flaws and then just pretend you can erase the past and it's all ok to appease the mob.

I just wish somebody somewhere would show they actually have a backbone when the mob comes knocking. Maybe say "look the past is the past and we cant do anything to change that, we acknowledge we do not have a perfect history but we can promise we will continue to be better moving forward like we have for the last 30 years" "Times are always changing and evolving and we will change and evolve with them as we see fit while still adhering to our mission"

Everybody rolls over better than my dog. There is a big difference between acknowledging your past flaws in turn using that to better the future and acknowledging your past flaws and then just pretend you can erase the past and it's all ok to appease the mob.

I just wish somebody somewhere would show they actually have a backbone when the mob comes knocking. Maybe say "look the past is the past and we cant do anything to change that, we acknowledge we do not have a perfect history but we can promise we will continue to be better moving forward like we have for the last 30 years" "Times are always changing and evolving and we will change and evolve with them as we see fit while still adhering to our mission"
.... um...

did you read their statement, that's exactly what they did and said

Pretty soon were gonna have nothing left to be proud of in America that happened before 1990. It's called fundamental change and this is all part of it.

Yeah, everyone sins even the best of us. That doesn't negate the great things they achieve. Everyone pushing to for change needs to look within themselves at the changes they can make first.

At this point I'm waiting for the Lincoln and MLK backlash.
I’ve wondered about that. If they dig deep enough even the best people who ever lived have something no one wants to know in their past.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back