Team Nut 2 kills 1 miss and close calls

Nut

I will post these 2 pics until tomorrow. The story will be typed then also.

Here is LittleNut with his 10.5 lb jake

martinturk.sized.jpg

Here I am with my 19 pounder. This is exactly the spot the bird died. :D

turk5.sized.jpg

Nice pics there! Glad you all had a great time and back home safe. Nice size big birds there :eek:
Way to go Team Nut!
DixieLady

Hey nut not doughting your call on little nuts jake but i dont think its a jake bro. Jakes have 4 longer tail feathers in the middle that looks like a 1 1/2 year old gobbler bro. Congrates on 2 nice birds.

Way to go Fred and Little Nut...
Except for getting stuck, you guy's look like you did very well, congrats and kudo's... :D :D :D

Okay I havent found the journal I kept at camp yet. So I will try my best without it. ;)

On Sunday the 25th I hunted with TE and LN. We had fun calling to the BIG tom in the area I killed the doe with a muzzloader last DEc. He never did come in so we left that area after 2 1/4 hours of trying.

Went to another area and then LN said he sees a turkey. So we attempt to head it off a little. We get set up and I did a couple calls as so did LN and TE. The turkey comes around to field and comes closer. We see a beard on it and it is a jake.(I've seen nipples longer than its beard) As it comes LN is the one with the shot since he spotted it first. It gets closer and he fires. It starts to get away after getting up so I tell him to fire again and he does. DEad bird. :cool: As we get to it. We discover that he shot the beard off the bird. LOLBut we celebrate and LN has his first turkey!

After hunting a couple more days without getting a shot we decide to go to a area that we always wanted to hunt but nevr had. Since Vipe was going to Dayton (120 miles away)we wanted to be within walking distance also.Plus TE wanted to hunt it because of our friends talking about it. So we get into area and it is pretty cool btw (29 degress at 5 am). So we do a little looking and hear nothing. I get out a cAll and tyr. Nothing. TE hands me one of Vipe's box calls and I try it. Gobble Gobble comes back. I try it again and get another reply and then another reply form another spot. Cool. The first gobbler then is quite as the other one does the replying.

It doesnt move any so I get 40 yards closer and do some more calling. That fires it up even more. I didnt believe that I could get closer without being busted so we set up. I get TE up and I get set up about 15 yards away and to his right so I could cover a blind spot of his.

I do more calling and then did scrathing the leaves where I was sitting. Back and forth this goes on for awhile until he was on opposite hill above us. Dang he is going to hang up I thought. I called and scratched some more to his gobbles. I then scratched and called and there was no reply. Rut Oh I thought. Either he went away or was coming in silent soemhow. At this time I sit the box call on the ground and raise my Mossberg 835. TE was watching the gobbler come down the hill also while I did that. He got ready but waited until he was to get a clean shot like we agreed(Whoever had the first clear shot was to take it) He kept having things get in his way so he didnt shoot. I finally see the gobbler between the rocks on opposite hill and click safety off. I keep looking to my expecting to come from that way. But it comes up the rock directly toward me. I see the head and then see the beard. BAM. I see the bird tumble backwards.

I get to the place and finally find it. As I get ready to pump my fist in the air I look at TE and he was giving me a look I will never forget. I goofed it seemed. But we discussed it and hopefully he will forgive me for shooting first.LOL

I then tag the bird ,take pics and then walk up hill to road 75 yards away. We walk back a mile to taget range and discover that my tag has come off. We look some for and then get to camp. We get help to go back from some friends there and I find the tag 10 yards away from where we came up hill 1 1/4 miles away from camp.

Got the bird checked in via ride to check station by friends luckily. (Vipe got back with oldest son at 230 and birds had to be checked in at 2)

Here are more pics

Spring Turkey pics

Then on Saturday ScreaminReel missed one at 10 yards. Never touched a feather either. This was after we spotted it 400 yards away. (we were cuttin and runnin) We called and called to no avail. It wonders off into the timber so I wait a few and then follow the land keeping us hid. Didnt want to spook it any and I wanted to check it out for next day. Well we get close and in the weeds there he is. I get to my knees and get the boys down. SR raises his shotgun (mine since I was without a tag) and waits until he can get a shot and shoots before I told him too. The bird flies away untouched. :eek:

Then TE gets to within 75 yards if a big boy but cant get it any closer. Then there also was a few more times of trying but the gobblers were with hens.

We also was able to watch a hen making a nest. Too bad we left the cameras at camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back