Task force $1,950 NR elk tag

Yep Jennifer Doring presented the commission tag numbers and units chosen for 2021 at the task force on Friday. There were 2 commission tags issued as general elk tags. You can watch the recording.

Not surprising with the thorofare being general.
I know a guy that drew a supertag and shot a cow…on purpose. Said that was the hunt for him. Love it

Dad and I will both be applying in Wyoming next year with 4 points. I had been strongly considering putting him on for the general tag while I apply for a high draw odds cow tag. Stuff like this definitely pushes me towards the cow tag rather than general just to (hopefully) ensure we're actually chasing elk in Wyoming next year. Neither one of us have ever killed an elk and I have a lot of years left to apply after next year so I'm not concerned about being able to shoot a bull as my first. Plus, I figure if he doesn't draw it gives us a year chasing cows while scouting for his eventual general tag.

I'm enjoying listening to the bulls bugling and the hunter trying to coax him closer, from my couch this year.

Waiting for my turn in Dec. for a cow with a draw tag ,and hunt on my land.
And a buddy with the LO tag I got and gave him. A NR. This will be his 3rd trip for cows and it is the most fun hunt I have been involved with in years.

Saw this happening when I gave up my NR points in a few states 13 years ago.
Here in NM I can not hunt on millions of acres of public lands and enjoy that now as much as any out of state trip I used to take.
Have not hunted on public lands in 6 years. Just visits with Rio. 3rd draw tag, and not leaving home to use it.
6 years of no livestock has returned the native grasses and forbs. The water for wildlife year round is gold for them.
No idea of what a NR tags costs now, outside of NM. But it's not $1900...

So what's the game plan for 2023? Do the general draw because the special odds will get hammered or put in the special before the price increase?

My wife has 6 pronghorn points we were hoping to use.

So what's the game plan for 2023? Do the general draw because the special odds will get hammered or put in the special before the price increase?

My wife has 6 pronghorn points we were hoping to use.
Good question. Mine has three, and I have four. I also have a few deer points stashed away too. I have 0 for elk.

2023 was the most likely year for us to burn those pronghorn points, but now maybe not so much.

I have a large spreadsheet that I've been using to track year-to-year changes for every unit's Type 1 and 2 tags in both special and reg draw. Truthfully, point creep has been steady enough that one point per year is barely enough to make "progress" towards units above your point total, but I still had some tags in both draws I knew were likely winners even if we saw significant point creep.

Now, creep on the special side will be so accelerated, I really doubt we can achieve even close to the "value" I'd hoped to find by waiting a few years and building points through school.

So we can burn them next year, maybe, by accepting a lesser hunt - perhaps even a reg draw hunt if I see something in the numbers. If we don't though, it might be another four or five years before we have the money, points and time to do a trip like I'm hoping to achieve.

I'm already considering the new wrinkles of drawing tags after such a big change as this has had a few years to take hold. It's going to ruin some plans for lots of folks but will reveal opportunities for those who are patient and smart here and there as well.

As for deer, I am either going to burn them all on a near-slam dunk type tag, maybe for whitetail, and move on, OR I will just let them pile up and reassess in a few years.

Elk, I have never invested in points and won't be after this news. May apply for the tag one day but total cost of 5-6 years of points + the tag + the expense of the trip... there are better deals out there for sure.

I only read the first page of this thread, so forgive me if I digress from the current discussion.

I spent the last 9 days in the mountains with a friend, hunting a tag that took me 18 years to draw. I didn’t kill anything. I saw some really, really cool shit.

Mid-morning today when it was clear I was probably going home empty-handed for this round of the hunt, I turned to my buddy and I said “it doesn’t take a tag to do any of this.” I told him that I have thought often recently about selling all of my hunting gear and hanging it up. Because it doesn’t take a tag.

I have been a pretty hardcore (sometimes to a fault) wild sheep advocate for about 13 years now. The hardest thing about making more wild sheep advocates is the fact that it is very difficult to get a tag, and that sheep hunting has a well-deserved reputation of being a “rich man’s sport.”

I think it’s important to think about how the base of advocacy shrinks when people are priced out of the game. I may sell all of this crap in the garage some day, but I will continue to advocate for the resource I love. But I’ll be honest (to a fault) and say that when that day comes I will no longer care about the hunting aspect. It will be solely about the resource. Because it doesn’t take a tag.
I agree 90% and also thanks for all you do for conservation of the resource, sincerely work worth doing. Thanks, I understand that you are a hunter, maybe some bad analogies coming here but the vegan chef scares me to death regardless how good the first three courses tasted. There is something I can't describe that is missing when we don't hunt. Those that don't feel it will never know and won't miss it. This is bad but maybe like a sexless marriage but with a pretty spouse by your side. Just not the same as wanting something more and making it all work.

I don't know for sure that advocacy shrinks as price increases. Heck maybe as the costs go higher there would be more money to market and promote conservation??

Good question. Mine has three, and I have four. I also have a few deer points stashed away too. I have 0 for elk.

2023 was the most likely year for us to burn those pronghorn points, but now maybe not so much.

I have a large spreadsheet that I've been using to track year-to-year changes for every unit's Type 1 and 2 tags in both special and reg draw. Truthfully, point creep has been steady enough that one point per year is barely enough to make "progress" towards units above your point total, but I still had some tags in both draws I knew were likely winners even if we saw significant point creep.

Now, creep on the special side will be so accelerated, I really doubt we can achieve even close to the "value" I'd hoped to find by waiting a few years and building points through school.

So we can burn them next year, maybe, by accepting a lesser hunt - perhaps even a reg draw hunt if I see something in the numbers. If we don't though, it might be another four or five years before we have the money, points and time to do a trip like I'm hoping to achieve.

I'm already considering the new wrinkles of drawing tags after such a big change as this has had a few years to take hold. It's going to ruin some plans for lots of folks but will reveal opportunities for those who are patient and smart here and there as well.
Feel free to send me that spreadsheet...

I think the game will to be to swing for the fence in the special in 2024 after the increase, when sticker shock may be a factor. Maybe get lucky and pull a top-tier unit with minimal points and make all that added cost worthwhile.

Feel free to send me that spreadsheet...

I think the game will to be to swing for the fence in the special in 2024 after the increase, when sticker shock may be a factor. Maybe get lucky and pull a top-tier unit with minimal points and make all that added cost worthwhile.
Needs more data (especially this past year) right now but HMU closer to next year's draw.

I was thinking something similar honestly. I could see
25% increase in tags on special side of draw
+
100ish% increase in price of tag
+
A few more magic ingredients
=
Benefits in the middle tier of units for those willing to pay up/find the opportunities

Well said.

I've also thought about hanging it up.

What I've found myself growing tired of is applying all over for the last 25 years. Chasing what everyone else is chasing gets old.

The hunts I have the most fun on are cow elk hunts and our family deer camp.

The most simple hunts, for all the right reasons, keep me going, chasing unicorns is tiresome.

Finally, the cost associated with nr hunting has created a huge barrier and it's only going to get worse.
Buzz you nailed it!

About five years ago I also found myself growing tired of "chasing unicorns" as you stated. The of price NR tags, preference points, and bonus points across the West for my family of four reached a breaking point. In addition, the "writing was on the wall" for western, DIY big game hunting for anyone who chose to see it. That writing is just getting clearer for many people now. I have been working on an exit strategy out of this game for the last four or five years by burning points strategically. Unfortunately, my family and myself are no doubt part of the point creep problem and likely will be for some time, as we still have a many PPs/BPs to run through in multiple states.

Concurrently, about four years ago I did some serious research into purchasing my own hunting property and found what I believe was a hidden gem. We are closing on that property in two weeks which allows us to hunt elk, mule deer, antelope and bears. Hunting with my family regularly is important. This property allows me to do that, on our time frame and regardless of the whims of other western states we are NRs in.

Finally, and as others have stated, I find myself fishing more and thinking about upland bird hunting with a good dog again. My wife and I put as much of a priority on our annual fishing trip to Alaska as our elk hunts and I find myself getting more excited for the trip north every summer. I don't have to worry about buying PPs, figuring out draw odds, and wondering if we are "going to get lucky in this year's draw" to go fishing in AK. We just go and enjoy it!

One constant is things that will always change. It is no different with western, DIY big game hunting. Drawing tags for the quality, trophy type hunts has gotten exceedingly difficult. As I have stated before, there remains significant opportunity for OTC, zero and 1-2 point draws, and "leftover list" type tags...for right now. I don't like the changes I have seen the last ten years and personally don't see it getting better (I really hope I am wrong here). I am adjusting to the changes I am observing.

I hope everyone finds opportunities to spend some time in the outdoors with friends and family this fall.

Well said.

I've also thought about hanging it up.

What I've found myself growing tired of is applying all over for the last 25 years. Chasing what everyone else is chasing gets old.

The hunts I have the most fun on are cow elk hunts and our family deer camp.

The most simple hunts, for all the right reasons, keep me going, chasing unicorns is tiresome.

Finally, the cost associated with nr hunting has created a huge barrier and it's only going to get worse.
That barrier is called inflation and it is sky rocketing the past few years. I don't care what rhetoric you use but it is real in all parts of our life> just buy feed for livestock or put gas in your truck. The barrier to buy/purchase a House or rent, A new truck, cost of fishing trips>> where tags are not even required Tuna trips that were $600 a man 2 years ago are now $1000 for a overnighter!!! Cost of college! Cost to heat and cool our homes! The cost to repair and just general maintenance is a barrier on owning property and equipment these days heck thats if you can even find a repair guy. Heck I'll spend greater than $1200 more on fuel this year on my two planed trips. Thats a barrier for most.

that barrier is not unique to hunting tags

Hunting has never been marketed like it has the last few years all the shows and you tube and the branding. Heck the money is so great these guys won't even shoot a bedded big game animal 75 yards away!! They may even try and persuade you its not ethical!!! Worried that the San Francisco money will shut them up or pull the plug.

That demand increase also ties to a greater Want and greater expectation so costs to pursue gotta go up way more than a traditional 1.5 to 2 % a year. The cost to collect and study the data on wildlife has to increase why would the tag costs not increase?? Game and fish operating costs are going up Gas/healthcare insurance/insurance/wages basically all G&A and we want more data and its expensive! The biologist and wardens have expensive college degrees so they need to be paid better also.

The barrier is not just with NR Hunting maybe residents need to pay more also.

Like others, my “goals” for my points have changed over the years. For elk I originally wanted to go kill a really big bull, now I’d be really happy to just have a really different hunt than what I experience every year on Idaho OTC tags. A few more elk, less people and more bugling would be great. A good bull and cool experience would make me really happy. I’d really like to start over with them with a goal of splitting them with my son in 15 years or so. My pronghorn points I just want to use on a good hunt with my wife where there is a lot of public land and it isn’t a race with other hunters to stalk a buck. For my deer points. I don’t have a clue other than again experiencing something different than otc in Idaho.

It’s not hard to understand that the solution to increasing one persons draw odds means a decrease in someone else’s. I still think the easiest solution would be a one year waiting period if you draw a tag for a male of the species.

Well, I’m officially burning my 5 elk point and burning my three pronghorn points next year. Not as worried about deer but I do have 3 points.

After that I’ll be hoping to get lucky in the randoms in wyoming from here on out.

Have to remember I’m very lucky to live in a western state with abundant opportunity at my fingertips.

Starting to think more these days about driving east to hunt public land deer too.

That barrier is called inflation and it is sky rocketing the past few years. I don't care what rhetoric you use but it is real in all parts of our life> just buy feed for livestock or put gas in your truck. The barrier to buy/purchase a House or rent, A new truck, cost of fishing trips>> where tags are not even required Tuna trips that were $600 a man 2 years ago are now $1000 for a overnighter!!! Cost of college! Cost to heat and cool our homes! The cost to repair and just general maintenance is a barrier on owning property and equipment these days heck thats if you can even find a repair guy. Heck I'll spend greater than $1200 more on fuel this year on my two planed trips. Thats a barrier for most.

that barrier is not unique to hunting tags

Hunting has never been marketed like it has the last few years all the shows and you tube and the branding. Heck the money is so great these guys won't even shoot a bedded big game animal 75 yards away!! They may even try and persuade you its not ethical!!! Worried that the San Francisco money will shut them up or pull the plug.

That demand increase also ties to a greater Want and greater expectation so costs to pursue gotta go up way more than a traditional 1.5 to 2 % a year. The cost to collect and study the data on wildlife has to increase why would the tag costs not increase?? Game and fish operating costs are going up Gas/healthcare insurance/insurance/wages basically all G&A and we want more data and its expensive! The biologist and wardens have expensive college degrees so they need to be paid better also.

The barrier is not just with NR Hunting maybe residents need to pay more also.
Inflation means jack shit to me in regard to why I'm growing tired of hunting in the West. There isn't a hunt on planet earth I couldn't pay cash for tomorrow.

You're also wrong about the WGF, they are bringing in enough revenue to not only fund everything but to also bank money and have a reserve of one years operating budget.

This fee increase is 100% about outfitter clients having better draw odds.

What gets tiresome is you pretending you have any idea about this issue and why I've been thinking more about fishing than hunting.

Totally agree. My wife and I usually get at least one pretty good buck every year between us, and I’ve had more fun on our cow elk hunts the last 5 years than those deer hunts. Hell, I’ve put in a ton of work planning for my brothers bighorns elk hunt next month and it’s kinda stressful hoping he gets a bull after 10 years of applying. Lol. Those cow hunts were relaxing.

Inflation means jack shit to me in regard to why I'm growing tired of hunting in the West. There isn't a hunt on planet earth I couldn't pay cash for tomorrow.

You're also wrong about the WGF, they are bringing in enough revenue to not only fund everything but to also bank money and have a reserve of one years operating budget.

This fee increase is 100% about outfitter clients having better draw odds.

What gets tiresome is you pretending you have any idea about this issue and why I've been thinking more about fishing than hunting.
for the good of man kind would you explain the one year reserve?? I thought some where close to 70% of the revenue came from NR licensing related and Federal Funding??

Back