NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, may you rest in peace. Thank-you for your diligence, intellect, wisdom, and great service to your country.

Agreed. I find it a great story of how he, probably the most conservative justice, was able to build such a remarkable friendship with Justice Ginsburg, probably the most liberal justice. They could have differences in opinion, but understand their opinion was just that, an opinion. Their friendship would be a good example for the rest of society to follow.

On another note, the conspiracy theorist over on the Campfire have already solved the mystery of how Justice Scalia's unfortunate and and untimely passing was a planned hit by political operatives. If you ever want to see how small world perspectives can manifest into conspiracy theories, the Campfire is a good example.

All sorts of implications gentlemen. There are presently some serious appeals before the court that stalling could be sent send back to the lower courts' ruling, for instance, unless the court decides to rehear when their roster is complete. Also, the senate, while stifling selection will energize the liberal base for the prez election ....or vice versa.
I will agree this will work to the Dems advantage if it doesn't work to the Rs. ;) we should get a record turnout. Im sure the best thing to do is to elect a zealot with an already bs crazy congress so we get a middle of the road guy in there.

When the people are afraid of the Government it is called TYRANNY.
When the Government is afraid of the people it is called DEMOCRACY.

I will agree this will work to the Dems advantage if it doesn't work to the Rs. ;) we should get a record turnout. Im sure the best thing to do is to elect a zealot with an already bs crazy congress so we get a middle of the road guy in there.

We have a zealot....he had a batshit crazy congress til voters mandated rectification. ; )

Does it matter if Obama, Hillary, or Bernie appoint his replacement?

Its going to be one of those 3 choices recommending his replacement.

The R's attempting to slow down the appointment until after the election, thinking an R is going to be president, is a pipe-dream at best.

Its funny to watch the R's lose their common sense and minds...what a bunch of bumbling, fumbling, buffoons.

Cruz or Trump winning the general...you cant script better humor.

Last edited:
John G. Roberts - Chief Justice of the United States - Appointed by: President George W. Bush
Elena Kagan - Appointed by: President Obama
Samuel A. Alito, Jr. - Appointed by: President George W. Bush
Antonin Scalia (Died) - Appointed by: President Reagan
Anthony Kennedy - Appointed by: President Reagan
Clarence Thomas - Appointed by: President George H. W. Bush
Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Appointed by: President Clinton
Stephen Breyer - Appointed by: President Clinton
Sonia Sotomayor - Appointed by: President Obama

System works fine. The whole point of lifelong appointment is to allow judicial review free from politics. Many of these nominees have slide on rulings from where people felt they would be.

Of course that doesn't work for Bat Shit Crazy Cruz who wants them to face re-election every 8 years. Damn Canadians trying to subvert the United States of America.

p.s I just want to see another good catholic (Small c type).

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP.
One more thing for the Senate and President to butt heads over. Not to in any way reduce the sadness of anyone's death, but this guy was nominated by Reagan. Whether they be liberal or conservative, there are aspects of our form of government that would perplex someone unfamiliar with it. Giving people, typically old fogeys until their death or inability to think straight anymore, great power to shape the law in our country is one of them.

I ran into one of these old fogeys last time I was in court. Was for small claims real estate. After 4, count them 4, 7 hour drives to the county court, each one postponed due to overbooking, I was granted a 4 PM private hearing. Apparently his nap time, because he was half asleep. The 80 year old dude looked down on me from his pulpit, took 5 seconds to leaf thru my 40 pages of evidence, and offered me 50% on the dollar of my totally valid claim. He didn't read a single word, much less page, paragragh, or sentence. I obviously objected, but he was too incoherent to understand. He was totally senile. What a total joke. That court was guilty of gross injustice in every aspect. I wanted to file a complaint with the state's attorney but when I consulted an attorney he told me not to waste my time. They won't do anything.

I ran into one of these old fogeys last time I was in court. Was for small claims real estate. After 4, count them 4, 7 hour drives to the county court, each one postponed due to overbooking, I was granted a 4 PM private hearing. Apparently his nap time, because he was half asleep. The 80 year old dude looked down on me from his pulpit, took 5 seconds to leaf thru my 40 pages of evidence, and offered me 50% on the dollar of my totally valid claim. He didn't read a single word, much less page, paragragh, or sentence. I obviously objected, but he was too incoherent to understand. He was totally senile. What a total joke. That court was guilty of gross injustice in every aspect. I wanted to file a complaint with the state's attorney but when I consulted an attorney he told me not to waste my time. They won't do anything.

That's a bummer.

Unpopular as it is to say I'll say it. In the same way that there are minimum age requirements for many positions of power in our government, there should absolutely be maximum age limits. The statistics of mental infirmity are compelling. Further, the rate at which the world changes is only increasing and frankly, a large percentage of people over the age of 75 are out of touch with the reality of the world. i.e. The Internet, cultural changes, population, technology, etc.

Last edited:
I think if the situation was opposite we would be hearing the exact same arguments by opposite people. All just depends who is in control. In fact the politicians who are speaking out spoke out the exact opposite arguments when Bush was in office. So it's just politics as usual!!!!! Actually your beloved Obama was part of a filibuster when GW was trying to appoint near the end of his term. It doesn't matter if your a D or an R....

Doesn't make any difference which party is in control of the congress, the process works the way in which it was intended. The people elect their representatives. Their representatives confirm nominees to the court. If the people want a different outcome, they can elect different representation. Everything else is just rhetoric from both sides.

Right now, the "R's" are in the driver's seat and can use whatever means at their disposal to manipulate the outcome, no different than when the "D's" are in control.

The problem is that everyone is in love the Constitution until following it may gore their ox. We only have one president at a time. He is to send forth a name to the Senate for consideration to sit on the Supreme Court. It is up to the Senate to debate the merits of the nominee and either confirm the nominee or send it back to the President for a do over.

The fact that McConnell won't even consider taking up his Constitutional Duties to hold the hearing speaks much about his position of either weakness or fear. Anyone claiming to be in love with the Constitution should be upset with McConnell giving the sitting president the finger because anything you let your side "get away with" today will be used against you tomorrow.

Shameful way to run a country. If the Republican party didn't want Obama in the White House they should have ran better candidates. Elections have consequences.

Nemont

The problem is that everyone is in love the Constitution until following it may gore their ox. We only have one president at a time. He is to send forth a name to the Senate for consideration to sit on the Supreme Court. It is up to the Senate to debate the merits of the nominee and either confirm the nominee or send it back to the President for a do over.

The fact that McConnell won't even consider taking up his Constitutional Duties to hold the hearing speaks much about his position of either weakness or fear. Anyone claiming to be in love with the Constitution should be upset with McConnell giving the sitting president the finger because anything you let your side "get away with" today will be used against you tomorrow.

Shameful way to run a country. If the Republican party didn't want Obama in the White House they should have ran better candidates. Elections have consequences.

Nemont

A far more precise summary of my long dissertation this morning that I typed and then deleted. I concur completely.

Nemont

I could not agree with you more.

Nemont

The Rs feel that a compromise would hurt them in the next round of elections so they are refusing to take action now.

Nemont

My thoughts exactly!

The Rs feel that a compromise would hurt them in the next round of elections so they are refusing to take action now.

It's not a compromise if it's your obligated duty to follow the process.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back