Suppressor Experience

Went through all the trouble to get one for a .22 pistol and am very un-impressed by the thing.
It's not nearly as quiet as I would have expected, even using the subsonic ammo.

Won't waste the $$ on another one.
Put it on a bolt action .22 and you'll be happy. Alot of noise comes out of the action as it cycles. Or hold the slide closed one and take a shot if you want to test it.

Went through all the trouble to get one for a .22 pistol and am very un-impressed by the thing.
It's not nearly as quiet as I would have expected, even using the subsonic ammo.

Won't waste the $$ on another one.
What can? Many of them have lots of first round pop on pistols. Try it on a rifle, bolt gun especially.

The gasses that remain in the suppressor corrode the crown and and leach down inside the rifling, never store the rifle with it on after shooting
You've said this before, and I have never seen or heard of this from anyone else. I just can't see how a can would retain gasses inside it after shooting. I have numerous rifles that have had cans on them for years, never been off, no ill effects. If what you're saying is true, then integral cans would be a nightmare mess. What you're describing has to be an environmental issue or metallurgy thing in the barrel.

You've said this before, and I have never seen or heard of this from anyone else. I just can't see how a can would retain gasses inside it after shooting. I have numerous rifles that have had cans on them for years, never been off, no ill effects. If what you're saying is true, then integral cans would be a nightmare mess. What you're describing has to be an environmental issue or metallurgy thing in the barrel.
I hope this helps, I don't take the risk, https://rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/article/advice-on-moderator-maintenance-when-cleaning-your-rifle

I have a YHM Resonator K. I shoot it on a 300wsm, 308, and 5.56 right now. My kids hunt with it on a 308 AR and love it.

That 'article' smells of BS, no facts or information at all. It looks like someone shot corrosive ammo and didn't clean afterward. If someone is putting corrosive ammo through a suppressor, they'd have to be out of their mind. The level of cleaning afterward would be almost impossible to accomplish. Your little 'suppressors are going to rot your barrel off comments' in most of the suppressor threads are the equivalent of the fwd: fwd: email chains, spreading bad info for no apparent reason.

That 'article' smells of BS, no facts or information at all. It looks like someone shot corrosive ammo and didn't clean afterward. If someone is putting corrosive ammo through a suppressor, they'd have to be out of their mind. The level of cleaning afterward would be almost impossible to accomplish. Your little 'suppressors are going to rot your barrel off comments' in most of the suppressor threads are the equivalent of the fwd: fwd: email chains, spreading bad info for no apparent reason.
I bow to your superior knowledge, all I can say is silencers (or as we call them moderators) have been in common use in the UK for around 30 years with no restrictions on use or ownership, most hunters use them, and I don't know of any that leave them on the rifle after use.

As for the benefits, great for people who are recoil averse, and noise reduction.
For us, it can cause confusion in the deer after the first shot, enabling us to take another, sometimes 3 or 4 more deer.
I don't have one on my .243 Sako, it has never been threaded.
I do have one on my 6.5, but I'm about to remove it, it just unbalances a lovely well designed Steyr.

Was up this morning and hear a wrestling match outside just to open the door and see a fox trying to get one of our cats. Ran to the bedroom and grabbed the 22-250 and opened the door again. By now he’s out to 150 yards but stops to me barking at him. Kids never even woke up from the shot from the back door. Did I mention I love suppressors

I picked up a Taurus TX-22 semi-auto pistol for my SilencerCo Sparrow recently. Love the combo so far

Was up this morning and hear a wrestling match outside just to open the door and see a fox trying to get one of our cats. Ran to the bedroom and grabbed the 22-250 and opened the door again. By now he’s out to 150 yards but stops to me barking at him. Kids never even woke up from the shot from the back door. Did I mention I love suppressors
Love it!! Did you drop him? I have one on my 7mag and can’t imagine shooting without it now.

Just got mine after a 7 month wait. Of course I had to go to the range and try it out. There was little difference if any in the impact of the 204 Ruger that I put it on.

The suppression was excellent and I am now going to have all my varmint rifles threaded and use the same suppressor. $800.00 and 7 months waiting is too much for me, so I will be getting a hot pad so I can screw the suppressor on and off each gun as I use it…

4A2FE610-D9AB-4107-B0BD-28DA120AAD63.jpeg

The article said they cleaned it with the suppressor on. Obviously cleaning chemicals would have filled the suppressor if they did that. I don’t know if the picture was a picture of corrosion, or burned cleaning chemical. Either way, cleaning it with the suppressor on is a lot different than just leaving your suppressor on after shooting.

Did you notice the link at the bottom? Jelen Deer Services. I wonder if there is any relation?

Last edited:
The article said they cleaned it with the suppressor on. Obviously cleaning chemicals would have filled the suppressor if they did that. I don’t know if the picture was a picture of corrosion, or burned cleaning chemical. Either way, cleaning it with the suppressor on is a lot different than just leaving your suppressor on after shooting.

Did you notice the link at the bottom? Helen Deer Services. I wonder if there is any relation?
You are correct, it does actually read that they cleaned it with the moderator still on, that is pretty stupid if that was the case.

But, everyone I shoot with always remove them after shooting, including me, why take the chance of ruining the crown.
They have been in common use in the UK for 30 years, oh, and the manufacturers website says remove after use and never store rifle with moderator attached.

Just got mine after a 7 month wait. Of course I had to go to the range and try it out. There was little difference if any in the impact of the 204 Ruger that I put it on.

The suppression was excellent and I am now going to have all my varmint rifles threaded and use the same suppressor. $800.00 and 7 months waiting is too much for me, so I will be getting a hot pad so I can screw the suppressor on and off each gun as I use it…

View attachment 273646
I have a ton of suppressor mitts, PM me your address and I'll send one over.

Picked up my nomad 30 couple weeks back finished testing on all my threaded barrels

6cm in a krg chassis with a proof comp barrel poi shifted very slightly maybe 1/2-3/4” 5 shot groups shrunk from 5/8” to 3/8”

6.5 prc cf in a ag composite alpine hunter stock, groups grew from 1/2” to roughly 1”, poi shifted 4” low at 100

Christensen ridgeline 7rm groups stayed roughly the same poi shifted down 3.4”

Ran it on my newest build yesterday which is a comp contour 6.5 creed proof barrel in a acc chassis, broke in the barrel yesterday, first 5 shot group after 10 shot break in (cleaning in between)with hornady factory 147 eldms was 3/8”, took the Supressor off and shot another 5 shot which was about 3/4” with one outlier 1/2” outside the rest. Almost no shift in poi.

Groups shrink on heavy barrels with no poi Change and has pretty significant poi change on light carbon barreled pillar bedded guns. More testing needed on the 6.5 prc because that’s really the gun I want to run it on hunting.

Attachments

• EAEA356C-CAA2-496E-9A00-ACE4241CF074.jpeg
    EAEA356C-CAA2-496E-9A00-ACE4241CF074.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 0BF8DCF9-9182-4AD6-A428-E040E11C7308.jpeg
    0BF8DCF9-9182-4AD6-A428-E040E11C7308.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Just picked up my Nosler 30ALTI suppressor on Friday. Once I get clearance to shoot with my bum arm, I will be dialing it in on my .308. Not sure if I will have it dialed in time for Alaska bear hunting, but I hope so.

Paperwork took about six months.
crazy I've been following some suppressor timing threads and recently some have popped up with about 6month (newest I heard was early November) turn around while guys are waiting from June and July still. Did you submit paperwork as an individual or as a trust?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back