Suppressor Experience

I am using a Thunder Beast Ultra 5 on a 20” 300WSM and would not want to go back to hunting without a can. For me it was all about having it for hunting.

I don’t like shooting at all with the full recoil of no brake - adding the brake changes poi so taking that off just for hunting is a no go in my opinion - but with the with the brake it’s SO loud! I would wear ear plugs and muffs when practicing and I am sure a single shot without hearing protection would damage my hearing a little. So then I have to carry hearing protection and have it on whenever a shot could happen quickly. The can is so nice because I don’t have to think about hearing protection while hunting! (I still wear it when practicing). On the 20” barrel it packs and carries well, but if/when I re-barrel I would probably try an 18”.

I am using a Thunder Beast Ultra 5 on a 20” 300WSM and would not want to go back to hunting without a can. For me it was all about having it for hunting.

I don’t like shooting at all with the full recoil of no brake - adding the brake changes poi so taking that off just for hunting is a no go in my opinion - but with the with the brake it’s SO loud! I would wear ear plugs and muffs when practicing and I am sure a single shot without hearing protection would damage my hearing a little. So then I have to carry hearing protection and have it on whenever a shot could happen quickly. The can is so nice because I don’t have to think about hearing protection while hunting! (I still wear it when practicing). On the 20” barrel it packs and carries well, but if/when I re-barrel I would probably try an 18”.

What load and velocity are you getting with the 20”

Using a 180g Hammer Hunter with 61.8 grains of H4350 and CCI magnum primers I have been getting about 2865 MV at fairly cold temps (upper 30s) I haven’t messed with too many options yet though.
Good to know. I was hoping to break 2800 with a 180 out of an 18” barrel. Looks like it’s doable. Thanks

Something to consider. If you go hunting in Canada, you can’t have a suppressor.

I have a 20” barrel and had to replace the suppressor with a muzzle brake on my recent hunt in Canada, which I absolutely hated doing. Once you shoot suppressed, you’ll never wanna go back to any thing else.

Personally, 20 inch is the smallest that I would go.

I also use a Kifaru gun slinger and the Nomad Ti on a 20” barrel is perfect.

Unless you are set on a Banish, buy local. Recently ordered a couple Banish from Silencer Central but took approx 5 weeks from start to when submitted to the ATF and still not expected for 9+ months. I've heard the same from others. About the only advantage I see is that you don't need to leave the house to get a suppressor. After your first, you will find yourself wanting another and another ;)
Man not to bash a company but my god silencer central is so full of crap on their “direct to your door” style. My submittal time was 5 weeks, waiting 12 months on the atf and now they explain delivery time is about 3 weeks…..never again.

What are you guys using for mirage covers when shooting several rounds at the range?
I've got the armageddon gear one and it works but I'll be experimenting with others on the 2 new cans i've got in jail. My only complaint is it doesn't stay put very well. Easy to keep from sliding forward under recoil which is the main concern but it is pushed back towards the breech a little too easily for my liking.

I've got the armageddon gear one and it works but I'll be experimenting with others on the 2 new cans i've got in jail. My only complaint is it doesn't stay put very well. Easy to keep from sliding forward under recoil which is the main concern but it is pushed back towards the breech a little too easily for my liking.
My burn proof gear covers stay in place. The previous ones I had (different companies) would slide forward and back. I won’t buy anything other then burn proof at this point.

My burn proof gear covers stay in place. The previous ones I had (different companies) would slide forward and back. I won’t buy anything other then burn proof at this point.

How heavy and thick are they? Do they extend around the front end of the can? I have a sico scythe in jail and I wouldn’t want something extending into that brake portion or bing too thick on an already fat can.

How heavy and thick are they? Do they extend around the front end of the can? I have a sico scythe in jail and I wouldn’t want something extending into that brake portion or bing too thick on an already fat can.
Their website lists the weight at 3.5 oz. They do extend over both ends of the suppressor. I have a direct thread can and a quick detach can. I’ve never had an issue with it getting in the way.

Here is a link to the different covers. They are expensive compared to what you’ve bought. But they are great. Sale for them ends today at 12 est. it’s like 25% off.

Their website lists the weight at 3.5 oz. They do extend over both ends of the suppressor. I have a direct thread can and a quick detach can. I’ve never had an issue with it getting in the way.

Here is a link to the different covers. They are expensive compared to what you’ve bought. But they are great. Sale for them ends today at 12 est. it’s like 25% off.

I don't think i'd be concerned with it on a typical can but since there is a single port brake on the end of the scythe i'd think it would direct gasses up to the cover which seems less than ideal. I intend to remove the brake and replace with a flush end cap anyway so probably a non issue. Their website told me the sale ended at 2 EST yesterday.. Tricksters.

1701182173692.png

I have a form 1 suppressor. I'm sure it's not as effective as some of the form 4s. But for my 300 blackout, it works great. It's fantastic to hunt and not have to worry about hearing protection, especially for the kids. And the recoil reduction is a bonus.

Attachments

• 20211114_090352.jpg
    20211114_090352.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back