Sunrise/Sunset

RobertR

Would like to hear your opinions on the sunrise/sunset tables. My question is if FWP has the sunrise/sunset tables calculated before any season starts and this is what a warden will go by. How many of you use a weather app or gps for sunrise/sunset. In most cases there is a five to ten minute difference between the regulations sunrise/sunset tables depending on the time of year.
The reson this came up is my sons wife shot a deer and someone turned her in for shooting after legal light. If it had not been for taking a picture wich created a time stamp of the time of day she would have got fined and the deer confiscated. That night there was a six minute difference between the regulation and the gps. The gps said 4:50 was sunset and the regs was 4:44. I guess better safe than sorry.

For me this is just an ethics issue. If I can't make out the game or be comfortable about a shot, I won't take it, whether it is the second at which shooting light ends or 1 hour before. If I get ticketed because of a discrepancy in time-keeping apparati, well that sucks but at least my conscience is clear. I would be pretty disappointed if I got ticketed based on hearsay, though.

That is actually a good question/point.
Where in the unit is the printed table applicable? Is it in the center or on the edge?

Times of set/rise change is something like 1 min change per 12 miles.

I would think the printed time tables are approximate but a GPS is spot one.

Why not just go by the tables? A GPS may be spot on, but it isn't necessarily legal.

I go by a weather app and how well I can see. I realize that may get me in hot water someday, but I'm not one to really push it.

I strictly follow the times published by FWP for determining the legality of shooting hours. I have not taken shots that were within legal hours because of poor light but have never taken a shot before or after the published times even if I thought I had plenty of light.

Its not worth getting an animal confiscated and I just assume I am being watched these days, especially during rifle season.

Patrick

I go by the time given for my location. If my local paper says sunset is 5:15, that's good for me. I would then use that for any arguments.

Use the tables and nothing else. I save the sunrise/sunset pdf on my phone and reference it in the field.

Your GPS may say one thing, the Weather Channel may say another, and Wunderground may say another. FWP has stated that their tables and nothing else are the authority, which removes the issue of hunters using different metrics. Sunset is not an exact moment at all, and if we use the literal description of the word, is dependent upon topography.

The FWP sunrise/sunset tables are the "official" tables that the "law" recognizes. Every hunter should be using these tables and nothing else. These tables probably take into account lighting and SAFETY. It is better to be able to identify your target, so no person gets shot. A sunrise that is overcast is a lot different than a sunrise with clear skies.

Use the tables and nothing else. I save the sunrise/sunset pdf on my phone and reference it in the field.

Your GPS may say one thing, the Weather Channel may say another, and Wunderground may say another. FWP has stated that their tables and nothing else are the authority, which removes the issue of hunters using different metrics. Sunset is not an exact moment at all, and if we use the literal description of the word, is dependent upon topography.

^ This. The published tables are the law, and they do that to eliminate all of these "Well, MY method says it's shooting light" arguments. Technically, "shooting light" gradually sweeps across the state, with variations in actual timing based on topography and latitude. That is unenforceable. This way, everyone knows exactly what the state considers legal time for their location and it's right there in black and white.

I know some wardens who don't squabble over a minute or two, and some who would ticket you in a heartbeat for being 2 minutes early/late. I always err on the conservative side when it comes to shooting light.

The FWP sunrise/sunset tables are the "official" tables that the "law" recognizes. Every hunter should be using these tables and nothing else. These tables probably take into account lighting and SAFETY. It is better to be able to identify your target, so no person gets shot. A sunrise that is overcast is a lot different than a sunrise with clear skies.
Yes, right above the tables there is a description saying the tables are the "official" source and "Do not use any other sources."

It looks like you could be off by as much as 14 minutes depending on which side of the county line you are on. I didn't realize it was that much. I started using the sunrise time on my phone - guess I should stop that!

One area that I hunt is right on the line. I do a hike every year that starts in one time zone, and my glassing spot is in the next time zone. A pain in the ass, but thems the rules.

I usually don't even bother checking if I'm in region 1 or 2 though. The low elevation, steep terrain, and thick vegetation make it still pitch black at their legal hours. I regularly stop hunting with 15-20 minutes of legal light left. When I go down to region 3 and am hunting in open sage at 8-9k feet I make damn sure I know the printed time, and can often glass elk before legal shooting time.

Last edited:
Last week I had plenty of light to shoot, well past legal shooting hours. By up to 10-15 minutes on several days. Then again, there have been days in the duck blind when it was legal shooting light and we had to wait another 10 minutes in order to be able to ID drakes and hens.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back