PEAX Equipment

Steven Rinella on Joe Rogan Podcast

I read the book and don't remember this at all. I am not sure if I still have my copy lying around home maybe I need to read it again.

I didn't grow up perfect and I am not by any means perfect still. Growing up I did stuff hunting and fishing that I am not proud of. These days I realize how special hunting/fishing is to me. If I was to get a ticket these days it would be pure ignorance. I appreciate it so much and love doing it with my kids that I don't cut corners anymore anyway.

I think Steven is the same. He has mentioned multiple times in his books that he did stupid shit as a kid. I don't think he ever asked for forgiveness or has ever said it was ok. I think he basically called himself an asshole for doing some of the stuff he has done. I appreciate the honesty. Very few people didn't do dumb shit when they were kids, very few people have never sped or intentionally broke a law.

If those statements about illegally crossing miles of private to access public or knowingly leaving a high water mark and trespassing including hiding behind bushes to not be seen by aircraft while hunting are accurate it certainly will cause some hunters to change opinions on Mr Rinella.

If I had the book I would be happy to look it up. According to Kbbond chapter 9 has one of the situations.

in chapter 9, he writes "To get there, I have to cut through a couple of miles of land owned by Ahtna, Inc., or else go all the way back to the mouth of the chetaslina and follow the river up. This presents an unsavory dilemma, because I hate looking at the same ground twice even more than I hate trespassing."

Coming soon, Rinella, Prince of Poachers part 2.

It's interesting seeing how differently people respond to a Texan poaching vs someone the hunting community respects(used to respect) like Rinella.

I wonder if the blond haired bearded hunting guy/gal with big hooters has ever taken a pic with Rinella.

To be clear in the book he said he trespassed through land owned by the Ahtna Corp, he did not kill a animal on Ahtna corp land therefore is not admitting to poaching. I'm not sure how you can draw a parallel between a guy whose only claim to fair is that he killed hundreds of deer out of season on private land to a guy who admits to the fact that he once trespassed across un-fenced/un-posted land.

Also per state statues I don't believe that what Rinella did was illegal, or at least falls in a grey area (I'm not sure where AK law fall on a property marked at the road entrances of a property but you cross from a river or from adjacent public land that you flew int). As long as your intention is not to commit a crime, you are allowed to trespass unimproved land if it's not posted or fenced, hence why I believe he wrote "an unsavory dilemma" rather than a legal one...

AS 11.46.350 Definition; privilege to enter or remain on unimproved land
(b) For purposes of this section, a person who, without intent to commit a crime on the land, enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, is privileged to do so unless
(1) notice against trespass is personally communicated to that person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person; or
(2) notice against trespass is given by posting in a reasonably conspicuous manner under the circumstances.

To be clear in the book he said he trespassed through land owned by the Ahtna Corp, he did not kill a animal on Ahtna corp land therefore is not admitting to poaching. I'm not sure how you can draw a parallel between a guy whose only claim to fair is that he killed hundreds of deer out of season on private land to a guy who admits to the fact that he once trespassed across un-fenced/un-posted land.

Also per state statues I don't believe that what Rinella did was illegal, or at least falls in a grey area (I'm not sure where AK law fall on a property marked at the road entrances of a property but you cross from a river or from adjacent public land that you flew int). As long as your intention is not to commit a crime, you are allowed to trespass unimproved land if it's not posted or fenced, hence why I believe he wrote "an unsavory dilemma" rather than a legal one...

AS 11.46.350 Definition; privilege to enter or remain on unimproved land
(b) For purposes of this section, a person who, without intent to commit a crime on the land, enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, is privileged to do so unless
(1) notice against trespass is personally communicated to that person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person; or
(2) notice against trespass is given by posting in a reasonably conspicuous manner under the circumstances.

Did you really think I was being serious with that post? The part about the blond with big hooters should have been a giveaway of the seriousness.

We have no idea what really happened there and only have his statements to go by. If what he said is true then it certainly is not surprising that some will question his motives, much like they way folks are with the antelope hunt.

But if you have decided that even if he did what he said it's only a gray area you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Would seem weird to hide behind brushes doing something that was legal though. I wish I had the book to look at this part as I am sure there is more to it than just one sentence.

Anyone want to share that page?

See post #90 and #92. It sounds like he has admitted to purposely trespassing while hunting according to those posters. How do you view that type of behavior?

I'll tell you why it bothered me so much. I am a game warden and this past hunting season, I got called to a trespass. I arrived on the scene to a man and his 16 year old daughter sitting in their truck while being watched like a hawk by the landowner until I showed up. First, I spoke to the landowner to see why he was reporting them to which he said: "they are obviously trespassing and we won't tolerate that, they have their public land, they dont need to be trampling on mine!" Fair enough.

I then spoke to the man and his daughter about why they had trespassed. The land originally was owned by the state and had a public access agreement the year prior and the man explained that's why he thought they could go, it's where they used to go in the past. Turns out the man had a GPS app on his phone and he showed me his tracks. The layer, unfortunately was not updated within the past year and still reflected the land as "public access." The man and his 16 year old daughter, on her FIRST hunt with her dad, walked over 5 miles from a parking lot and along the road to reach this piece of land instead if cutting a corner to get to public and save themselves a few miles. They worked hard to make sure they were within the law and doing things right and doing their best given their knowledge and resources at the time to avoid trespassing.

I returned to the landowner and explained what happened and even showed him the man's GPS tracks in an attempt to reason with the landowner. The landowner said, "not my problem, write them both, I am pressing charges." I could not talk him down from that. Trespassing citations in my state carry and automatic license suspension hearing upon a guilty disposition.

So why am I disturbed by this? I gave a ticket to a 16 year old girl who was just following dad on her first hunt with him, a ticket that resulted in a license suspension hearing. That ruined hunting for her and I can't help but feel bad for the dad who tried his best to get her involved and show her the right way.

I'm upset because as this is happening, a man who wrote a book and got a tv show, intentionally cut corners instead of putting in the work and acting ethically.

Further, my original post was basically a book review. I gave high praise for his other books, but just said that I was disappointed by this one particular book because of a situation that I abhor based on an experience I went through. He gets famous, she loses her privileges...its just not fair and as a warden, when I consider what do do in any particular situation, I believe in being consistently fair. We just need to hold ourselves and the people we choose and support as our public faces to be ethical representatives is what I'm ultimately getting at.

That being said, Rinella did this in 2005, quite a while ago, and I believe people change and what he has done for our community overall is tremendous. I own multiple books and watch his show regularly. I just gave an honest review of a book of his that I read, and why my view was the way it was.

I'll tell you why it bothered me so much. I am a game warden and this past hunting season, I got called to a trespass. I arrived on the scene to a man and his 16 year old daughter sitting in their truck while being watched like a hawk by the landowner until I showed up. First, I spoke to the landowner to see why he was reporting them to which he said: "they are obviously trespassing and we won't tolerate that, they have their public land, they dont need to be trampling on mine!" Fair enough.

I then spoke to the man and his daughter about why they had trespassed. The land originally was owned by the state and had a public access agreement the year prior and the man explained that's why he thought they could go, it's where they used to go in the past. Turns out the man had a GPS app on his phone and he showed me his tracks. The layer, unfortunately was not updated within the past year and still reflected the land as "public access." The man and his 16 year old daughter, on her FIRST hunt with her dad, walked over 5 miles from a parking lot and along the road to reach this piece of land instead if cutting a corner to get to public and save themselves a few miles. They worked hard to make sure they were within the law and doing things right and doing their best given their knowledge and resources at the time to avoid trespassing.

I returned to the landowner and explained what happened and even showed him the man's GPS tracks in an attempt to reason with the landowner. The landowner said, "not my problem, write them both, I am pressing charges." I could not talk him down from that. Trespassing citations in my state carry and automatic license suspension hearing upon a guilty disposition.

So why am I disturbed by this? I gave a ticket to a 16 year old girl who was just following dad on her first hunt with him, a ticket that resulted in a license suspension hearing. That ruined hunting for her and I can't help but feel bad for the dad who tried his best to get her involved and show her the right way.

I'm upset because as this is happening, a man who wrote a book and got a tv show, intentionally cut corners instead of putting in the work and acting ethically.

Further, my original post was basically a book review. I gave high praise for his other books, but just said that I was disappointed by this one particular book because of a situation that I abhor based on an experience I went through. He gets famous, she loses her privileges...its just not fair and as a warden, when I consider what do do in any particular situation, I believe in being consistently fair. We just need to hold ourselves and the people we choose and support as our public faces to be ethical representatives is what I'm ultimately getting at.

That being said, Rinella did this in 2005, quite a while ago, and I believe people change and what he has done for our community overall is tremendous. I own multiple books and watch his show regularly. I just gave an honest review of a book of his that I read, and why my view was the way it was.

Appreciate your perspective.

This forum can be a little puritanical at times. I'm not crazy about all of Rinella's decisions but it's not like there is a pattern of unethical behavior emanating from him to justify a shunning. If this is just constructive criticism then that's fine, carry on. But I'm not going to tell people to de-platform Rinella over this.

Exactly, sure what he did was probably unethical, and I'm judging by "So with a nagging feeling of guilty I follow..." that Rinella himself would agree.

Kbbond, not sure where you were a game warden, but do you think what Rinella did was illegal? I was always under the impression that tresspass laws/posting requirements varied and that in some states certain kinds of trespassing are perfectly legal.

americanbuffalo.jpg

So what would have been the ramifications on you if you chose not to write the ticket? I assume this was civil trespass?

Plain and simple, he entered upon privately owned land without permission for the purpose of hunting. He states in his book that he read a public notice, after he got his letter from Alaska fish and game informing him about private land and access issues, that Ahtna Inc. "Explained that they were going to throw the books at anyone who dared to 'hunt, camp, fish, pick berries or park any type of vehicle on Ahtna property.' They promised they'd be stepping up patrols for trespassers throughout the fall and that their lands would be 'heavily patrolled by air, land, and water.'" Hence why he hid under the bushes with his brother when the airplane flew overhead...he knew he was trespassing.

So what would have been the ramifications on you if you chose not to write the ticket? I assume this was civil trespass?

Likely fired, I would be acting outside the scope of my duties. I'm an agent of the court and when somebody states they want to press charges, I must issue. I'm not allowed to act as the judge in the field.

It could have gone as criminal trespass, but since they were hunting, they fell under fish and wildlife law as opposed to general criminal law. It sucked, it really did and believe me, I did not want to issue that citation. I tried like hell to reason with the landowner but he just wasn't going to bend.

Likely fired, I would be acting outside the scope of my duties. I'm an agent of the court and when somebody states they want to press charges, I must issue. I'm not allowed to act as the judge in the field.

It could have gone as criminal trespass, but since they were hunting, they fell under fish and wildlife law as opposed to general criminal law. It sucked, it really did and believe me, I did not want to issue that citation. I tried like hell to reason with the landowner but he just wasn't going to bend.

I appreciate your perspective on the book. I didn't remember that part at all.

As far as your other story that really sucks balls and it is an extremely rare situation that would completely suck to be in. Were the repercussion for her the same as her father given she is a minor? Two bad you couldn't just write him up.

As for the land owner, that dude is an asshole.

I appreciate your perspective on the book. I didn't remember that part at all.

As far as your other story that really sucks balls and it is an extremely rare situation that would completely suck to be in. Were the repercussion for her the same as her father given she is a minor? Two bad you couldn't just write him up.

As for the land owner, that dude is an asshole.

Thanks! I want to remind any people following this thread that it was not a character attack on Steve at all, it was a book review where I just said I was disappointed in it because of this circumstance. I dont think Steve is a bad guy at all and I think he has done tremendous things for advancing hunting and angling in the modern society.

Unfortunately it's the same ticket for both. In a different situation that doesn't involve trespassing and a landowner, I like to use the opportunity as a teaching moment for youth and just write the parent/mentor a ticket (if the situation so requires, some just require a conversation more than anything).

And yes, I lost a lot of respect for the landowner in this circumstance. Some people are just salty as hell! Lol

Some people are just salty as hell! Lol

We had a neighbor try to hang a cattle rustler...some people aren't quite sure what century it is...

Sounds like what Steve did was both illegal and unethical, would be interesting to bring up that passage at one of the talks meateater live events and get his take. As much as there is a get off my land perspective, there is also a pervasive I do what I want attitude in the hunting community I hope Steve regrets this incident, I hate people who think the rules don't apply to them.

Thanks! I want to remind any people following this thread that it was not a character attack on Steve at all, it was a book review where I just said I was disappointed in it because of this circumstance. I dont think Steve is a bad guy at all and I think he has done tremendous things for advancing hunting and angling in the modern society.

Unfortunately it's the same ticket for both. In a different situation that doesn't involve trespassing and a landowner, I like to use the opportunity as a teaching moment for youth and just write the parent/mentor a ticket (if the situation so requires, some just require a conversation more than anything).

And yes, I lost a lot of respect for the landowner in this circumstance. Some people are just salty as hell! Lol

I know I would watch the landowner closely and get him for something just to prove a point, probably cause I hold grudges and I am a vindictive prick, LOL>

Do you know if they contested it and if so how the judge ruled?

Thank you for offering criticism without calling for a beheading. Discourse nowadays would be better if we did that more often.

Steve mentioned in his Meateater book of using snares illegally and to trapping an illegal otter on purpose. He’s mentioned several other stories on his podcast of ignoring game laws as a kid including shooting a deer before legal age.

I think the younger Steve has matured into the current Steve.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back