Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Steven Rinella Stars in the sky: A hunting story On Netflix Take on ANTI HUNTERS

freu1chr

This film is one of the best hunting films that deals with the controversies of hunting. What anti hunters think we believe that hunting is just for a trophy or blood lust. On average i spend anywhere from $3000-$4000 on tags and applications a year to hunt and maybe go on 2 hunts. I also am a member of the wild sheep foundation and rocky mountain elk foundation and donate money to both of them. I am happy to spend that kind of money knowing it is going to the conservation of the animals i hunt and the conservation of animals we can't hunt. I would like to know of any Anti hunter that spends that much money toward habitat rehabilitation or saving land for the animals. I agree with Steven in saying that 200 years ago you needed to hunt to survive and being told now that instead of going hunting go to the store and buy your meat. the meat in the store needs to still be killed and processed i would rather have the satisfaction of knowing where my meat came from and how it was processed. Have any of you had to deal with an anti hunter in the field or out in public?

No, they (anti-hunter) don’t engage with me. I live in the most self-righteous liberal city in Colorado; people are generally curious and it’s always a respectful conversation.

Trying to tell a 6’ 4” guy driving his truck with a 70lb GSP in the back how to spend their time/money? Good luck with that lol

No, they (anti-hunter) don’t engage with me. I live in the most self-righteous liberal city in Colorado; people are generally curious and it’s always a respectful conversation.

Much the same here. I spent a good chunk of my adult life in NYC and found that a lot of folks who’d never set foot in the woods (nor intend to) were curious to hear about hunting and fishing. Some vegan acquaintances have even applauded consuming game over factory farmed meat. There’s always a few ding dongs who are going to be opposed to something no matter the rationale, but I think “anti-hunters” are the minority.

Rinella also lived in NYC for a stretch and has written about having non-hunting literary ‘luminaries’ around for dinner. Like him, I found that lots of folks are interested in the food part of things.

Good documentary nevertheless.

I see my role as an ambassador of sorts. If there’s even a whiff of that type of turn in conversation I’ll redirect to a variety of other tangential topics (wildlife sightings, adventures, preserving public lands). Most people haven’t met an outdoorsmen so it’s more of a conversation out of curiosity.

Oh yeah.
For years as a Park Ranger...converted some with a simple saying,best free range organic you can eat.

Lately it has been talks between CDT hikers & hunters in the Pie Shop.
Yesterday Sarah, the owner, & I were discussing her husbands upcoming cow hunt and a couple of full happy hikers caught her eye. They were slack jawed listening. She just looked the hottie in lime toggs in the eye and said, "the best free range organic meat you can eat"!
A couple big guys in camo took up the explanation with them. Pretty soon the whole place was talking good food & where you get yours.
I do believe that green gal will be back next year in Sitka...she was locked in conversation with the big son from OK ,about recipes.

Statistics show about roughly 10% are hunters and 10% are non hunters against and adamantly opposed to hunting. The rest of the 80% are non hunters but they do not care if you hunt and oftentimes are curious about it as they have never had the opportunity to learn. However,actions by one group of 10% can push members of the 80% to the other 10% very quickly.

Living here in Big Ole Hick, Louisiana ( made up name) ... I do not have to converse with anti-hunters or really very many non-hunters and when I travel to the population centers of the State, which I do frequently for work, it never really comes up.

Problem with living in Big Ole Hick, Louisiana is that there is a high percentage of downright antiquated thinking on the subject of hunting and using the word conservation in a conversation is akin to tattooing "tree hugger" across your forehead at a forestry convention...

I don't fit in anywhere :alien:

Living here in Big Ole Hick, Louisiana ( made up name) ... I do not have to converse with anti-hunters or really very many non-hunters and when I travel to the population centers of the State, which I do frequently for work, it never really comes up.

Problem with living in Big Ole Hick, Louisiana is that there is a high percentage of downright antiquated thinking on the subject of hunting and using the word conservation in a conversation is akin to tattooing "tree hugger" across your forehead at a forestry convention...

I don't fit in anywhere :alien:
I get it and hear you loud and clear.

Honestly, I'd rather talk hunting with a non-hunter than 99.95% of people that hunt.

Its embarrassing listening to most people that hunt, talk about it.

Problem with living in Big Ole Hick, Louisiana is that there is a high percentage of downright antiquated thinking on the subject of hunting
Man I’ve lost brain cells due to having to listen to the stuff I’ve heard in a Louisiana taxidermy shop. I hate the word “cringe” but that’s all I can say about it…

This film is one of the best hunting films that deals with the controversies of hunting. What anti hunters think we believe that hunting is just for a trophy or blood lust. On average i spend anywhere from $3000-$4000 on tags and applications a year to hunt and maybe go on 2 hunts. I also am a member of the wild sheep foundation and rocky mountain elk foundation and donate money to both of them. I am happy to spend that kind of money knowing it is going to the conservation of the animals i hunt and the conservation of animals we can't hunt. I would like to know of any Anti hunter that spends that much money toward habitat rehabilitation or saving land for the animals. I agree with Steven in saying that 200 years ago you needed to hunt to survive and being told now that instead of going hunting go to the store and buy your meat. the meat in the store needs to still be killed and processed i would rather have the satisfaction of knowing where my meat came from and how it was processed. Have any of you had to deal with an anti hunter in the field or out in public?
I worked in a FED office in N Ca filled with rabid anti-hunter, anti-human, anti-dog, vegan, yoga posing, extremist haters. Luckily a cool, down to earth fellow hunter from Wisconsin joined the team for our mutual support. Our pragmatism and common sense was hated internally, but hugely popular with customers/public.

Not to turn this into a thread of anti hunter stories, but the incidents of harassment my friends and me have experienced have been in MT. There’s one drainage in particular (you can drive right up to the base of it) where after you’ve gotten out of the truck and walked in about 30 min someone will inevitably drive up and pop off a few shots scaring game. Particularly on the weekends. I’ve always wanted to go set a trail cam by the truck to see whodunnit, but haven’t hunted there in a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back