Caribou Gear Tarp

Steven Rinella Stars in the sky: A hunting story On Netflix Take on ANTI HUNTERS

I coudlnt agree more saskHunter. Other "hunters" are my biggest problem.

Park your truck on the wrong side of the road sometime within the state ROW some some knucklehead who "owns everything around here" is sitting at your truck all up in your buisness.

Bozeman has become a weird place now a days as it’s a hybrid between people that love the outdoors and want it to remain “untouched” and people that love the outdoors and understand the balance hunting brings to the landscape.

I was glad I saw this post last night. It was great to watch. I enjoy Steve's content always and he has done so much for hunting. As said we as hunters have an image problem for the most part and we are our own worst enemies.

I've been working in DC for about a year now and on occasion get to have talks with folks who are not anti hunters but just have never hunted or been around someone who has hunted. Hopefully those conversations have went well. Most are only interested truly in knowing you eat what you shoot and your not just killing animals for fun. They also really like the conversations about hunters for the hungry programs.

I hear more about anti hunters from hunters then any place else.

I most non hunters I come in contact are pretty neutral in regards to hunting, I would even go a far to say the positive of it when it’s presented in a respectable way and shown as way to respectfully put food on the table. I have found food and the well being of the environment and animals to a bridge that connects hunters from non hunters in a very positive way.

As for the movie ..I thought it was well done and enjoyed it

most non hunters I come in contact are pretty neutral in regards to hunting, I would even go a far to say the positive of it when it’s presented in a respectable way and shown as way to respectfully put food on the table.
While my personal experience is the same, those same neutral or even slightly pro-hunting folks are still buying into every anti-hunting political issue and voting to undermine our lifestyle. Whether it's because they didn't take the time to actually research the policy in question, didn't understand what was actually being proposed and didn't have a trusted person to turn to, or they were simply towing the political line of their party... the end result is still a vast undermining of our freedoms.

I have seen it first hand here in WA, over and over again. Even my friends and family, who are all very pro-hunting, have voted numerous times to reduce my hunting opportunity or restrict my gun rights. So even if the reasoning isn't as malicious as some would want us to think, the result is still the same.

While my personal experience is the same, those same neutral or even slightly pro-hunting folks are still buying into every anti-hunting political issue and voting to undermine our lifestyle. Whether it's because they didn't take the time to actually research the policy in question, didn't understand what was actually being proposed and didn't have a trusted person to turn to, or they were simply towing the political line of their party... the end result is still a vast undermining of our freedoms.

I have seen it first hand here in WA, over and over again. Even my friends and family, who are all very pro-hunting, have voted numerous times to reduce my hunting opportunity or restrict my gun rights. So even if the reasoning isn't as malicious as some would want us to think, the result is still the same.

That very well maybe the case. And if so how do we address it? The standard adage has always been “we need more hunters” well I think in some way that happened and other then diluting our opportunities I have have seen any net positives carry over to Publics perception of this sport.
So what’s the answer?

I really liked it. I just wish it would have had a lot more footage of the meet and greet he did. Would have like to have heard more of the questions and more of his answers to them.

That very well maybe the case. And if so how do we address it? The standard adage has always been “we need more hunters” well I think in some way that happened and other then diluting our opportunities I have have seen any net positives carry over to Publics perception of this sport.
So what’s the answer?
I don't know.

There are times when I don't think there is an answer

“PETA’s drones will help protect wildlife by letting hunters know that someone may be watching—and recording—them, so they should think twice before illegally killing or maiming any living being,” says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. “Wildlife watchers outnumber wildlife killers five to one—and if even a fraction of these kind people use hobby drones, they’ll make a huge difference by exposing hunters’ dirty secrets.”
...Research shows that 60 percent of animals who are shot flee into the woods to die slowly and in pain and that for every animal killed by a bowhunter, another is maimed, never to be found again. Wounded animals can suffer for days or even weeks before dying. In addition, when an animal is shot, offspring are often left behind to starve to death or be eaten by predators."

"The 1987 Montana law says "no person may disturb an individual engaged in the lawful taking of an animal." Forty-seven other states and the federal government have similar "hunter harassment" laws.
Animal-rights advocates challenged the Montana law, calling it too broad and vague, and claiming it infringed on their First Amendment free-speech rights."

Eco-extremists are actively at work harassing any way they are able. Missoula is full of turdbag Eco-Extremists. I've been harassed a few occasions exiting my vehicle to hunt Kelly Island and extremists hollering to scare deer away up the end of Rattlesnake area.

I've encountered one hunter peeved I was routing up an area he considered his. N. Fork Blackfoot area. He didn't harass though after a bit of de-escalation, he calmed and we viewed the map, found our general areas were good and wished each other best of luck. Shit happens sometimes though aside from some person questioning private or public, hunter harassment is far from the significant and continuous harassment experienced by the eco-extremists.

Must simply be where we've hunted though, as they say, YMMV.;)

Much the same here. I spent a good chunk of my adult life in NYC and found that a lot of folks who’d never set foot in the woods (nor intend to) were curious to hear about hunting and fishing. Some vegan acquaintances have even applauded consuming game over factory farmed meat. There’s always a few ding dongs who are going to be opposed to something no matter the rationale, but I think “anti-hunters” are the minority.

Rinella also lived in NYC for a stretch and has written about having non-hunting literary ‘luminaries’ around for dinner. Like him, I found that lots of folks are interested in the food part of things.

Good documentary nevertheless.
I have helped several newbie hunters figure out the sometimes byzantine process to become qualified to apply for a tag. Usually a resident cow elk tag is a bargain for the meat you get. I helped a surgeon that was from a family that fished but never hunted. He wanted organic, free range meat and I had shared some over the prior two years. He had no issue with shooting a cow elk but had no idea what would be involved to get that permission from the state.

Well, you have to successfully navigate the process to get that tag in your pocket. Yes, you need a hunter's ed class here but not in that state, unless born before this other date. Yes, you need an archery certification unless held an archery tag before in any state but nothing needed in that state to apply for archery. First you buy a hunting license but in this state is good for the year and that state is good for 365 days. If you draw a tag there you need a guide to hunt that tag but can go fish and camp in the very same watershed without a guide. You get 4 choices but only the first has a chance to be considered while over here you get 5 choices and all are considered. In this state there are a known number of tags for nonresidents per unit while in this other state is up to a certain percent and in this other state they set quotas after the application deadline. That state has OTC tags. You can borrow my gun and gear plus I will try to go on the hunt with you depending on my schedule. Good luck.

I shot and butchered a deer for a co-worker on her family's farm this year. Some of her family was anti hunting (or at least very against the idea of letting people hunt on their land). That part of the family now wants me back to shoot more deer for them next year. Getting them on board is as rewarding as shooting any nice buck.

I shot and butchered a deer for a co-worker on her family's farm this year. Some of her family was anti hunting (or at least very against the idea of letting people hunt on their land). That part of the family now wants me back to shoot more deer for them next year. Getting them on board is as rewarding as shooting any nice buck.
Nice! I hope you can convert some of them so they can get more use of their hard earned land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back