Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Some CA Mule Deer (pics)

BOHNTR

Here's some California mule deer I photographed over the long Thanksgiving weekend. The wife, kids and I had our annual turkey diner in the trailer at the base of the Eastern Sierra Mountain Range. Got to love marrying a lady from Wyoming who doesn't mind fixing holiday supper in the trailer. :)

Here's a really neat looking non-typical (6x7) that had an absolute huge body:

012.jpg

Here he is looking at another buck getting close.

013.jpg

Next hing I hear is a serious fight going on. My son and I (Cody) run over towards them and witness one of the fiercest and longest fights I've ever seen. They were locked up for almost 20 minutes, as they couldn't get untangled. Luckily they managed to get undone before either one of them expired.

023.jpg

019.jpg

025.jpg

029.jpg

As these buck were fighting, this guy ran up on us......posed just long enough for a photo:

032-1.jpg

The non-typical ended up losing the battle to the nice 4x4 with long main beams and good mass. The light was bad (dusk) to get good photos, so I hiked back in the area the next morning. I spotted him bedded and was able to crawl up on him for a few shots from the camera:

083-1.jpg

090.jpg

106.jpg

I later glassed this buck from a distance. At first I thought he was a 165" type buck....until I got closer. This a real good buck for the Golden State:

121.jpg

122.jpg

130.jpg

151.jpg

Last edited:
Cool as cool gets, Roy. Thanks for sharing. They have no clue how fortunate they were that you were carrying a camera and not your bow.

Man those are some really good looking bucks, and great pictures.
Love how dark their horns are.

Great pictures. All I can think of is when they are going to shed and I want to be there to pick them up.

Your knack for finding and getting close to big bucks is phenomenal. Great photos.

Thanks for sharing those amazing photos, great bucks. I had to double and triple check that you said 'California,' I had no idea CA had that good of deer, now I hope that only part of the state falls into the ocean;).

Those are some killer pics...almost nothing better than being out in the woods during the rut.

Thanks for sharing those amazing photos, great bucks. I had to double and triple check that you said 'California,' I had no idea CA had that good of deer, now I hope that only part of the state falls into the ocean;).
This must be one of the Nor Cal zones. I did not see anything even close to that in central zones. Awesome pics, thanks for sharing them.

Nice bucks

those are some super pics, what are you using to photo? how close were you? i assume those are in the Goodale unit?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back