Snow skiing vs water skiing

DouglasR

Hi guys, hope everyone had a good T-day.

I’m planning a trip to Arizona this January to do some hiking (potentially bow hiking) and considering routing myself through Taos valley to try my hand at snow skiing. I know this mostly depends on individual abilities, but if a guy was a pretty proficient water skier would it be possible for him to enjoy a day on the slopes without taking any lessons? Obviously I’m not talking about cutting powder and hitting sweet jumps. I’m just kinda trying to check it off the bucket list, take in the scenery and hopefully get some good pics for my tinder prof.
Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

In my opinion the skills needed to water ski well don't translate great to downhill skiing. That said, if you are in good shape with a good sense of balance you should be able to have a good time. If you aren't with someone who has downhill skied before, a short lesson would probably be money well spent.

good pics for my tinder prof.

Ha lol

Honestly the easiest sport to translate to skiing is ice skating. Waterskiing is similar to skiing powder to some extent, but quite different from skiing on hardpack. You initiate turns in a very different manner, stopping is different, points of balance are different etc etc.

A lesson is definitely a good idea, not only because they will help you through the basics, but also because your instructor will be able to tour you around the mountain and get you to that perfect spot for gram pics.

Interesting topic. I'm avid participant in both and if you are talking about slalom water and not skiing on two I would agree with everyone above and say that it in no way translates however I would agree with what wllm1313 said in that an instructor is probably the way to go

Interesting topic. I'm avid participant in both and if you are talking about slalom water and not skiing on two I would agree with everyone above and say that it in no way translates however I would agree with what wllm1313 said in that an instructor is probably the way to go

especially if she is cute

I also have enjoyed both in years past and agree with advise already given. Without a lesson you might not even be able to get up when you fall, and you will fall. That said, by all means go, take a lesson and enjoy

noharleyyet, or even day three (-;

I was taught on both counts by persons that had skiied before,and am now proficient at
crashing and burning in both sports! Ha!,Ha!...Actually I can hold my own on both counts.
And yes you will crash snow skiing,guaranteed. 🔥

His hands are horrendous

harley... if that's you... shorter poles buddy...

I was pre go pro wllm. Way pre go pro.
Bota bag emboldened I stood at Al’s precipice a finely tuned 20 year old athlete with the requisite Texas beginners tack. 150cm stubbies with bindings that would release with a sneeze. Skin tight starched & scotch guarded wranglers that designated religious preference. After cross tipping and wheelie popping to the bottom I was a whimpering snotted frozen faced mortal waiting on the good Samaritan’s to bring all my untethered detritus down to me.

I was pre go pro wllm. Way pre go pro.
Bota bag emboldened I stood at Al’s precipice a finely tuned 20 year old athlete with the requisite Texas beginners tack. 150cm stubbies with bindings that would release with a sneeze. Skin tight starched & scotch guarded wranglers that designated religious preference. After cross tipping and wheelie popping to the bottom I was a whimpering snotted frozen faced mortal waiting on the good Samaritan’s to bring all my untethered detritus down to me.

A song of ice and humiliation

My buddy who is athletic skied with me without ever taking a lesson. He was very good at hockey and kind of did a hockey stop thing to turn. He also was a good water skier but that didnt help him as much except to be bold enough to go down black diamonds in New York with me. Diamonds in the east are blues in the west. I would take a quick lesson if not great on ice skates.

Another vote for a lesson....even if a group one. You will learn a LOT more in a short amount of time versus just "trying" it.....and it will be less painful. I water skied for a long time before I tried snow skiing and they are totally different other than involving balance. I actually find snow skiing to be easier in that you don't have the variable of a boat driver and are in total control of your own speed. I still enjoy both :)

SFC said what I would have....Lesson in the morning then spend the afternoon on your own. Save enough energy for the Apres Ski activities. You will be sore...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back