Tell me what tire chains to buy. Again...

DouglasR

Hey you guys!
This has prob already been beat to death but...

Life permitting I’m heading out in 30 days, come hell or high water, to do some backpacking, camping and skiing and I’m wondering if I need tire chains.
Plan is to hit the SLC, Colorado and potentially Taos scene.
Might let my nuts hang in Cali for a day or 2, but I’m pretty offended by the name of the resort there so it’s highly unlikely.

The main reason I feel like I might need chains is to plow into some closed trailhead parking lots to sneak in a few hrs rest.
With that being said, I’m not an aggressive driver and I’m prob not gonna be plowing into sketch shit alone in the winter.
I guess I’m more worried about parking somewhere, getting dumped on and getting stuck.

Maybe this sounds ridiculous. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Do I need these chains!?!? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Would you guys take chains on a trip like this?!?!
Are V bars good?!?!
So many questions!!!

My current vehicle is a stock 2020 Jeep gladiator with 255 75 17 bfg mud terrain t/a’s.
If anyone wants to send a direct link to the exact set of tire chains you’d recommend buying that would be awesome.

Happy holidays and thanks for any help!

Peace and love. ✌❤️

These are my current tires
324E629C-6987-416F-A202-A6FB1DEED34A.png

I have always run v bars but rarely needed to use them. Guys Use them more for work in big sky than hunting on our trucks. This season we gained access to a section of private in the gravellies that was outfitted up until last year. Snow was only 6-10” but wind was 10-30 for the week and drifts were up to 4’ deep. Could not have hunted without the v bars chains. Now if you gotta drive 45 on the highway they suck. Deep snow great.

If your not looking to push in somewhere squirrelly but need peace of mind for getting out, I'd look at Truckclaws or Tracgrabbers and maybe a set of traction mats. They aren't chains and you can't run on em like chains but they've gotten me out of a couple tight spots now

Ok so based on the feedback I’ve received here and via a few pm’s I think I’m just gonna buy a tow strap, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best this year.
I’ll let you guys know if it doesn’t work out.

Thanks for the help.

my trucks been pulled out of a road side ditch that my back end slid into doing an 8 point turn on a remote county road in december using a ratchet strap from costco

not recommended, but it worked. still haven't been able to untie that not

It's a Jeep for heaven's sake!
According to all the Jeep tv commercials they can just blast through the worst ice and snow conditions on the planet with the kids and the dog in the backseat while doing 60mph going to grandma's house all in stock form. :rolleyes:

Bought mine (v-bars) on etrailer.com. They are super heavy and were about $80. They’ve worked perfectly so far - sitting over my rear axle providing traction weight to avoid needing to put them on the tires 🤣. Seriously, though, I just bought them this summer and have yet to have a need to use them.

Agree with others that you likely can get by without them.

Bought mine (v-bars) on etrailer.com. They are super heavy and were about $80. They’ve worked perfectly so far - sitting over my rear axle providing traction weight to avoid needing to put them on the tires 🤣. Seriously, though, I just bought them this summer and have yet to have a need to use them.

Agree with others that you likely can get by without them.
Buy a set of v-bars with cam locks. Cheap insurance. mtmule
Maybe I’m doing it wrong but everything I’m finding looks like it would be around $300 for a set of 4.
Does that seem high?
If it was $80 or $160 I’d prob do it.

Lots of modern trucks will say you should not put chains on the front. Not enough clearance around brake lines and such. Not sure about Jeep. The cost I list was for a pair.

Read your owners manual, I was ready to get some after a breaks trip, can't put them on the front, dumb. I have about a knuckle worth of room between the tire and suspension arm.

I can put S type on the back, which is a tighter fitting style of chain/cable.

IIRC you should be able to get them on all four on a Jeep. Needing all four means you grossly overestimated your abilities, grossly underestimated the conditions, a little of both, or you’re just going full on trailblazer mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back