Snow in Sierra's

I'm not looking forward to anymore moisture of any kind for a while. We have a dam we sandbagged because of fxxxing ground squirrels. All the added snow sitting on it saturated the top few feet and it collapsed to just above water level. I got after it yesterday afternoon with a D4 and it like jelly on the face of it. I'm 50/50 as to whether it's going to hold or not.IMG_20230105_101912234_HDR.jpgIMG_20230307_163001435_HDR.jpgIMG_20230307_163103649.jpgIMG_20230307_165738563_HDR.jpg

I'm not looking forward to anymore moisture of any kind for a while. We have a dam we sandbagged because of fxxxing ground squirrels. All the added snow sitting on it saturated the top few feet and it collapsed to just above water level. I got after it yesterday afternoon with a D4 and it like jelly on the face of it. I'm 50/50 as to whether it's going to hold or not.View attachment 267651View attachment 267652View attachment 267653View attachment 267654
Better get some straw on that dirt work !

Better get some straw on that dirt work !
Unfortunately it's far to saturated already. It might be ok if the squirrels don't make their way back through the mud. I actually think it's too wet to hold a tunnel open. It's not very far from being liquid. There's no way you could even walk on it.

The geologic record shows that California is hit by a mega flood every 100-200 years. The last one was in 1862. Those previous flood were preceded by a long period of drought. So, it looks like California is ripe for a really big flood right now.

The geologic record shows that California is hit by a mega flood every 100-200 years. The last one was in 1862. Those previous flood were preceded by a long period of drought. So, it looks like California is ripe for a really big flood right now.
Hmmm, we're sitting at 3200' I may have beachfront property by next week. I hope the people in low lying areas don't get hit too badly. We have already had our share.

Around here when the old timers talk about the big flood, they are referring to the flood of 1964. It took out most of the bridges on the Rogue River and its tributaries and devastated every community. I was 10 but I can still remember all that devastation. A while back a saw a graphic showing flooding on the rogue river and it looked something like this.

Kinda scary

flood.jpg

In 1862 the entire central valley was a 15' deep lake.
Yup the stories go that the sutter buttes were an island. Impassable from the sierras to the coastal range. We have flood control now, kinda, so it will be a good test. Gubment expects Sacramento to flood under 20’ of water every 100 years. The thousands of houses built below 30’ tall levees are a sign of whats to come.

I remember hearing stories of the 1964 flood when I lived up north on the coast. The Eel river and humboldt bay flooded so bad that they were basically connected, miles away. Dead cows floating all up n down the coast.

Another 36-48 inches expected this weekend @ Mammoth.
The report says snow level will drop to 5k and 5 inches of rain will fall on the snow.
Get ready for valley flooding.
Our place at 5,000' has 5 or 6 feet of snow on the ground and the 10 day has 8" plus of rain. Still plenty of room in New Melones for more water down the Stanislaus but it's going to be interesting. They'll be over 600" at Bear Valley by the weekend which, according to there records, has only happened a few times since 1968.

Years ago my bro & I went to duck hunt at Mendota. Similar snowpack and we had gotten 5 inches of rain in one day.
We got as far as I-5 and Mendota was flooding. We got gas before the station flooded and made it home.
Tule Lake and Buena Vista lake filled. The rivers were flowing heavy.
I remember a pineapple express in the 90's that did a lot of damage with snow melt. There was a mudslide that flowed down to the Stanislaus and ended up blowing out and taking the Sourgrass bridge and a D6 that was parked there with it down the river. It seems similar to that now. It was during duck season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back