Snow in Sierra's

@hank4elk I am down in your old stomping grounds, thought you might want to read this (if you can enlarge it), second highest snowpack ever!

View attachment 269355
View attachment 269356
I've been watching YT vids of Mammoth and Tahoe snow life.
They are trying to get the roof of the Mammoth Village Vons cleared . 5 ft of wet packed snow,by hand.
Guys on ropes 4 stories up chopping snow damns.
The rotary plows clearing the Donner pass.

And several more feet today.
I have 4 inches of Sierra cement here today. The road to town is snudd. More on way.

If wind was snow we would be buried this year !! I didn’t know the wind could blow this hard this long. It started blowing around November and hasn’t stopped.
Its just the spring winds...which happen year round. I'm always getting a hat blow off.
Blowing good now and expected to hit 60's this afternoon.

John Muir wrote about Sierra storms.
I remember one about climbing a fir tree to the top and tying himself off just to see what it was like during the Santa Ana winds.

Fool. LOL

I remember hunkering down one afternoon at the base of one while some trees came crashing down around me. The wind was so loud you could only feel the trees hitting each other or the ground.

I went up to a neighbors last month and his power pole was laying across his road. Wind broke the pole….live wire. A week later another neighbors big hay barn 40x80 was wadded up like tin foil. People around here are finding out asphalt shingles don’t work in this wind and if a metal roof has a screw or two missing…..gone. Friend came home two weeks ago to find a big ponderosa pine tree laying on his wife’s car…insurance totaled it.

Mammoth will hit 1000" this week.
Tamarack lodge is buried. Knew the old owners and worked on some of the old cabins.
The Central Sierra Snow Lab is up on Whitebark above Badger pass.
Avalanches closing 395.

It snows until May in the Sierra's.

Mammoth will hit 1000" this week.
Tamarack lodge is buried. Knew the old owners and worked on some of the old cabins.
The Central Sierra Snow Lab is up on Whitebark above Badger pass.
Avalanches closing 395.

It snows until May in the Sierra's.
you think they are going to get another 300-400 inches?

you think they are going to get another 300-400 inches?
Mammoth had 977" last week. This is the summit, not the town.

I was thinking of this when a buddy called Sunday and said many cabins at Huntington Lake are down. My old one had 58' on it 2 weeks ago he said. He asked about my winter here. Told him a snowy cold one, but it's almost over.
They graded the county road yesterday finally...lol

I doubt the road past my old cabin gets plowed before the 4th of July.

I was thinking of this when a buddy called Sunday and said many cabins at Huntington Lake are down. My old one had 58' on it 2 weeks ago he said. He asked about my winter here. Told him a snowy cold one, but it's almost over.

Gotcha..

Where are you getting these totals? I can only find the totals at the lodge.

Where are you getting these totals? I can only find the totals at the lodge.
I saws 780 at the summit on March 16th...that is why I asked....Not sure where 977 is coming from either. I saw somewhere else that said 840 as well...I don't think they really know how much they have... :)

From 2 guys on YT that are doing snow removal.
I saw one by the guys measuring snow at lower elevation and he said it is right below the record. With 2 months to go.

My bro know the current owners of Tamarack Lodge and it's past their records since 1922.

It’s been snowing here on and off all afternoon (5100ft) north of Reno. The mountains have been getting it all day. If we don’t break the record it’s going to be very close.

Was checking the Snotel dump stations online and most of the central and south stations are down. Middle elevations.
The Huntington station probably burnt last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back