Yeti GOBOX Collection

Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

GM really did a good job inside and out. Class leading horsepower and towing to be rumored at 7700 pounds. I dont know which one i like more.

The Edition1 comes with a ridiculous bumper system that includes a winch! Zr2? AT4X? I’m so so weak…

After managing a large fleet of Colorado’s the odds of me ever owning one are zero. When we had Frontiers we spent 1/8 of the amount of time and money on maintenance and repairs as we as we do now, inflation not withstanding. The last time I ran a report to compare we had 85% less shop visits per unit with the Frontier than the Colorado. That’s right, 85%.

I am a Taco guy. I am on my 3rd one in 25 years. I currently have two and regret ever selling the 3rd.

The cons for the newer ones are space and power. I have an old F250 for that.

The pros are everything else but particularly reliability.

Not to derail but any Tundra guys out there? I’ll be buying a used truck next year and can’t decide if I want a taco or tundra. I’m leaning towards the V6 Tacoma but the thoughts of pulling a trailer loaded down with a side by side for my dad and all our hunting gear 1600 miles to CO has me wondering if I should just go full size.
I purchased a new Tundra last September. Coming from a 2009 F150 it was a huge jump. Overall I love the truck. Tons of power, super roomy, and simple. The only downside which we knew going in and what others also echo is the gas mileage. We get 15-16 mpg on the interstate running 70-75 and average 13-14 mpg in town. Towing a trailer there are lots of variables...I've seen 8-12 while towing my 20' fishing boat. Definitely get the extended range tank. We made the purchase for the reliability and resale value down the road. Yes there are other options that have more bells and whistles, but that wasn't something I wanted/needed. The Tundra is very simple yet functional. It has everything that I need.

Not to derail but any Tundra guys out there? I’ll be buying a used truck next year and can’t decide if I want a taco or tundra. I’m leaning towards the V6 Tacoma but the thoughts of pulling a trailer loaded down with a side by side for my dad and all our hunting gear 1600 miles to CO has me wondering if I should just go full size.
Anyone who drives a Tundra is a freedom hating communist. Fact.

Have a good weekend and be pragmatic please.
tim-hawkins-drive-fast.gif

I can't be pragmatic. Sorry. I have three 3/4 ton V-8 pickups and a Yukon. Gonna drive one of them North to our antelope spot soon. Thanks. mtmuley
Cool. I like antelope and V8 engines. I have a Toyota 5.7 V8 and a Dodge 5.7 V8 in my driveway, but I didn’t draw an antelope tag.

The model of each of these trucks makes a HUGE difference. The question really needs to be around who each person is and how they use their truck.

I have zero experience with the new Ranger, but when you refer to the “far better off-road and more comfortable” that just isn’t true. My Colorado ZR2 is vastly more spacious and has better seats than my buddies brand new decked out Tacoma. I’m 6’5” and I need to slouch or bend my neck to fit. It also beats his Tacoma off-road. When we off-road he can’t climb nearly what I can. He admits his Taco is underpowered. He loves it though. The rarity of Tacoma’s is a myth also. Just look around, and you’ll recognize the “sale strategy” in action.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind Tacos, but they’re overrated. They’re ultra reliable and pretty good off-road, but the only one that’s really good is the TRD Pro.

I use my truck for daily driving, off-roading and pulling smaller trailers. I love the power, sports car like driving, spacious interior, ridiculous suspension, and the ability to lock everything up and climb a wall. I recognize it fits me well. View attachment 229784
How much does your camper weigh and how's that truck pull it? I have a 3200 lb'ish boat and trailer combo to haul.

I have a 2014 Tundra Platinum with a few little upgrades. (Tires/topper/etc) I’m the only owner. I will be selling it once my new truck comes in, which which should be late this yr or early next. The Tundra has been a great truck…no complaints whatsoever. Not sure what yr or mileage you are looking for, but PM me if you want some additional details/photos.

In Feb of 19', I bought a lease turn-in 16' SR5 double cab Tundra with 30k miles on it. I was asking myself the same questions you are and decided to go Tundra over Tacoma. They damn near cost the same and it's double the truck, all you're losing is about 3-4mpg. I'm up over 70k miles now with no issues, planning on keeping this truck until the wheels fall off.

How much does your camper weigh and how's that truck pull it? I have a 3200 lb'ish boat and trailer combo to haul.

Dry weight is 3400. I get ~14 towing. I do run mid or premium fuel. When I did exhaust, intake and tune it decided it likes the higher octane. It tows it really well with the sway setup. I cruise along at 65 to 75 depending on terrain. It easily pulls it over passes like Lookout at 55. I do NOT mash it. It would easily go faster at lower gears, higher rpms, and lower mpgs. I am a tender lover. 😆

Reactions: JDH
This is a great thread. I’m on my second Tundra (‘16 1794 4x4) and I truly enjoy the ride.

The reality though is that we take my wife’s ‘19 Subaru Forester pretty much everywhere. It’s the grocery getter, Home Depot (for 95% of what we do) runner, general explorer vehicle

The Truck is there to do truck things. It pulls the trailer. It hauls a ton of crap for the house…it drags shit. The ATV fits in the bed. The motorcycles fit there for track days and such. It just does the truck things I need a truck to do.

I’ve toyed with selling it, getting something smaller, more efficient. But why? I could do a small trailer on the Subaru…likely cover virtually everything I need.

It’s paid for. Current economy what it is…the general move to electric life…eh, does it make sense to sell it? Or just drive it out until the wheels fall off. Call it the last utility vehicle until the end.

Which, really, is the plan. The Truck has it’s purpose.

For everything else, there’s Subaru. (I suppose some better tires and a winch gets that even closer).

Eh, at 53 and married very happily, meh. I’m just not here to try and impress anyone anymore.

Last edited:
Back