Slap On The Wrist

Sounds like the fines won't even pay for the man hours it took the DNR to get the convictions. Sad deal for sure.

The outfitter was already sentenced to 27 months in prison.

Do you know if he testified against the outfitter? His sentence looks good.

I admit I didn't read the whole article until now.
Loncarich’s 2008 Ford truck and Ellis’ 1995 Dodge truck were seized during the investigation, having been used in the commission of Lacey Act violations. Both vehicles were subsequently forfeited to the government. In addition, three of Loncarich's clients were issued Lacey Act violation notices, paying a total of $13,100 in fines.

Sounds like the others involved got some justice.

Last edited:
It is hard to believe Judges and prosecutors in some states (and federal in the case of LACEY ACT convictions) do not ALWAYS require the full restitution for cost incurred to gain the conviction.

In big cases like that it's very seldom that the sentences handed down ever come close to what the cost of the investigation was. This one lasted three years before charges were filed and with the number of people and agencies involved the cost had to be way up there. They got some pretty hefty fines and hopefully the head guy will serve a decent amount of the time he got behind bars. As egregious as that whole mess was IMHO the top couple guys should also never have anything other than a drivers license issued to them. Hopefully the publicity on some of these cases will make others think before they try to pull some of the stuff, but probably not the numbers we would all like.

Last edited:
Isn't "slap on the wrist" par for the course nationwide...or at least in the west?

Basically you can poach a trophy animal in any western state every 2 or three years for about half what it costs to go on your average guided hunt.

What bothers me even more is the fact that there are some so called "hunters" who are willing to pay for this kind of garbage. They knew what was going on. Those clients need to be prosecuted as well.

I wonder if there's any active man eating Lions in Africa, or Tigers or Leopards in India. It only seems fitting that he should be placed in a cage for a week, shot in the foot and released near a Man Eating Big Cat. Let him truly understand what all those cats endured..........

36 Mo's probation, small fines and 6mo's house arrest? Seriously? That's 6 days house arrest for each cat and about 1 mo probation for each cat. That seems really soft to me.

What bothers me even more is the fact that there are some so called "hunters" who are willing to pay for this kind of garbage. They knew what was going on. Those clients need to be prosecuted as well.

3 were fined. See the second to last paragraph.

"In addition, three of Loncarich's clients were issued Lacey Act violation notices, paying a total of $13,100 in fines."

Some kids follow in their parent's foot steps. Other kids go off in the opposite direction. I wonder what we have here? Wonder how old his daughters are? Wonder what's in their heads? Oh well, can't say as I'm surprised. I'd like to see the bumper stickers on the family vehicles.

Sounds like the fines won't even pay for the man hours it took the DNR to get the convictions. Sad deal for sure.

Especially if you do the math on what this scum charged clients and how many cats were killed. This is nuts...Based on how much the "outfitter/poacher" took in and how much he paid in fines, I guess it pays to poach. And the penalty for violating the Federal Lacy act? These game thieves who are also guilty of animal cruelty got off pretty easy if you ask me. And as far as losing their hunting privileges goes, doe's anyone think a poacher would worry about hunting without a license...what they were doing was illegal and it sure didn't stop them. That Judge sure didn't dole out any fitting punishment. That sentence was a slap in the face to the G&F investigators and Colorado sportspeople.

I would like to see the total cost of this investigation vs. the cost of the fines. I would then be interested in hearing the reasoning for such light punishments when the facts are laid out in front of the person responsible for determining what the violators are going to get. IF they were held responsible to the full extent of the law, perhaps the law needs to be revisited and stiffer fines / sentences added???

Sickening to read what these poachers did!

For you LEO types: Do the forfeiture laws allow for the taking of real property, or just personal property? Just curious. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back