PEAX Equipment

MTN TOUGH - 50+ Preseason Prep

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, we're about six weeks into filming our nine-week program at MTN TOUGH, where they are using me as the poor talent to build a course for hunters over 50 years old who might have a few impairments that are keeping them from staying in better shape.

I went there in December, just to check out how it might help me. I'd just turned 59 and an arm injury last year had really messed up my fitness. I sucked air in the 2023 season that was physically easier than most of our seasons. I decided the time had come. No more denial.

Little did I know that after about a month of easier workouts they would ask me, "Hey, can we film a short course around you, directed at 50+ year old desk jockeys?"

Me, "Ah, maybe, whatcha thinkin'?"

"Well, probably one week of ramp up, followed by four weeks of more intensive work."

Me, "Ok, I'm over here working out anyhow, so what the hell. Let's do it. Just tell me what I need to do and don't make me look like too big of a fool."

"First, we've got to identify all of your limitations and how we can work around them. We need to show people that by the time you're 50, you likely have some injuries or health issues and those limitations shouldn't keep you from hunting hard."

Me, "OK. Impairments and limitations, eh? How much time you got? See this right wrist that is missing a tendon and cannot flex to 90 degrees, well its weak as hell and I can't grip much with that hand. And then there's this problem of not having a Portal Vein and other plumbing for my liver. Oh, I had perthes as a youngster that put me on crutches for two years, making my right leg a half inch shorter than my left leg, but with a heel lift in my orthotic, I'm good to go. And since we're in confession mode, I detached my right posterior tibial tendon from the foot and didn't have time or money to get it fixed for a couple years, so my right foot looks like Fred Flinstone's."

"Well, you're about like most of the other 50 year old guys we work with, so you'll be the perfect talent for this course. We'll start in February."

Me, looking somewhat dumbfounded, muttered to myself, "How in the hell did I get talked into this? I'm a gray-haired desk jockey. Nobody wants to watch me working out. Oh well."

So now, what was to be a four week course is now a nine week course. We're in the middle of week six. MTN TOUGH decided to roll out what they've already got edited, allowing people to start now and be through most of it by mid/late-July. If we don't get it done pretty soon, Mrs. Fin has pointed out that it will be the 60+ course, not the 50+ course.

Anyhow, if you're interested, here's the landing page that explains it all. (Don't be making fun of my white legs and gray hair. You'll be gray someday, also.) For those like me, getting grayer and bearing a few scars from father time, I think it will be helpful for your hunting and your health.

Link here - https://mtntough.com/pages/pre-season-prep-50

Promo code - PRESEASON40 will save you 40% on an annual membership.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 3.31.55 PM.png

I started doing Mtn Tough MGDs a year ago based on some hunt talkers feedback. I’ve really enjoyed the training that goes along with the workouts. I listened to The Jocko Willink podcast on my way down to take my son to an appointment this morning and they announced your workouts during that episode.
Pretty cool, I’ll have to check it out. I have some of my own past injuries and limitations to deal,with, but your list makes me feel,pretty good about myself. Thanks for doing the workouts for them.
Neil

Alright, we're about six weeks into filming our nine-week program at MTN TOUGH, where they are using me as the poor talent to build a course for hunters over 50 years old who might have a few impairments that are keeping them from staying in better shape.

I went there in December, just to check out how it might help me. I'd just turned 59 and an arm injury last year had really messed up my fitness. I sucked air in the 2023 season that was physically easier than most of our seasons. I decided the time had come. No more denial.

Little did I know that after about a month of easier workouts they would ask me, "Hey, can we film a short course around you, directed at 50+ year old desk jockeys?"

Me, "Ah, maybe, whatcha thinkin'?"

"Well, probably one week of ramp up, followed by four weeks of more intensive work."

Me, "Ok, I'm over here working out anyhow, so what the hell. Let's do it. Just tell me what I need to do and don't make me look like too big of a fool."

"First, we've got to identify all of your limitations and how we can work around them. We need to show people that by the time you're 50, you likely have some injuries or health issues and those limitations shouldn't keep you from hunting hard."

Me, "OK. Impairments and limitations, eh? How much time you got? See this right wrist that is missing a tendon and cannot flex to 90 degrees, well its weak as hell and I can't grip much with that hand. And then there's this problem of not having a Portal Vein and other plumbing for my liver. Oh, I had perthes as a youngster that put me on crutches for two years, making my right leg a half inch shorter than my left leg, but with a heel lift in my orthotic, I'm good to go. And since we're in confession mode, I detached my right posterior tibial tendon from the foot and didn't have time or money to get it fixed for a couple years, so my right foot looks like Fred Flinstone's."

"Well, you're about like most of the other 50 year old guys we work with, so you'll be the perfect talent for this course. We'll start in February."

Me, looking somewhat dumbfounded, muttered to myself, "How in the hell did I get talked into this? I'm a gray-haired desk jockey. Nobody wants to watch me working out. Oh well."

So now, what was to be a four week course is now a nine week course. We're in the middle of week six. MTN TOUGH decided to roll out what they've already got edited, allowing people to start now and be through most of it by mid/late-July. If we don't get it done pretty soon, Mrs. Fin has pointed out that it will be the 60+ course, not the 50+ course.

Anyhow, if you're interested, here's the landing page that explains it all. (Don't be making fun of my white legs and gray hair. You'll be gray someday, also.) For those like me, getting grayer and bearing a few scars from father time, I think it will be helpful for your hunting and your health.

Link here - https://mtntough.com/pages/pre-season-prep-50

Promo code - PRESEASON40 will save you 40% on an annual membership.

View attachment 325711
Will you be piloting the new Sitka sweatbands and muscle tees?

When I first saw the title, I read it wrong and thought that Randy had hooked up with his good bud Rob over at Mountain Tactical :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back