Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

shoulder surgery

JohnCushman

I got the results back from the MRI that I had on my shoulder that I tore up in Iraq. It looks like I have a labral tear, degeneration in the joint, and rotator cuff tendonosis. I've been in physical therapy for about 2 months and I'm not making very good progress. My physical therapist said I'm more than likely looking at an orthroscopic surgery to make repairs. She said I'll probably just get a shot in the rotator cuff tendon. I see the ortho doctor about it in a couple of weeks, but I'd like to ask you guys what I'm looking forward to. Have any of you had shoulder surgery? What sort of rehab am I looking at? How long until I can return to a somewhat normal life? I'm a little bummed out that this could interfere with a trip to Montana in May.

It depends on what they finally end up doing to you. I had a shot of Heaven in my shoulder and was back in the game after the pain of the shot subsided, a couple of days. But I had a bigger problem so I had the tear fixed a year later and fell on it within days tearing it up. I went on a successful elk hunt 1 month post surgery but I am tough. Then, about 3 years later I had it repaired again. It took about 3 months to really start using it again and I hated those 3 months. 15 months ago I had my shoulder replaced (reverse replacement). I was moving my shoulder unaided the next day. Yes I was on drugs but WEEKS ahead of the other surgeries. Within 2 months I was shooting my 7 mm rem mag and within 4 months I was pulling a 60+ lb bow. I wish to hell I had done it 15 years earlier -----probably was not yet available.

Crap John! Sorry to hear about this.

Dad had one shoulder fixed and one totally replaced. The fix was the old technology (no ortho-scope then), but the replacement was the latest and greatest. His downtime after replacement was remarkable compared to the fix on the other one. After every surgery (one shoulder fix, one replacement and two knee replacements) he always said, "Hell yes it hurts, but is a totally different that pain."

Talk to the saw bones and see what he says about recovery, but I am sure you know what PT takes.
Good luck to you, sir.

It all depends what they do. If they basically are just cleaning things up in the joint you'll be fine in May. I basically had a rebuild 15 yrs ago. Rotator cuff, screws, bone graft blah blah blah. I had it done in April. Was in an immobilized at all times for 6 months. Was not allowed to work for 2 months after that. Tried bird hunting 7 months post op, took one shot and opted to wait til the next fall to hunt again. That was basically worst case scenario. If they clean up frayed ligaments, not a big deal, but if they repair them then the length of recovery grows significantly. Good luck, hope for a fast recovery for you.

If they're just scoping it, then it's not horrible but if they get in there and find that they have to open you up then it's much worse.
Sooner they get you in and done, the sooner you'll be back in the game.

Hope it turns out well and you have a quick recovery. Maybe another scar and some grueling rehab could sway the judges for CSEH 2015???

I have had orthoscopic surgery on each of my shoulders about 5 years apart. The main issue was the AC joint (snowmobile accident with the right shoulder, fell from a tree when a limb broke while removing an illegal tree stand with the left shoulder). I was not allowed back to work for about 6 months in each case. Lots of PT and the therapist had to sign off on me before I could return to my Law Enforcement job. I have also had major back surgery ; again job related. Anyway, my advice is to have your surgeon assist you with choosing a Physical Therapist, listen to the Therapist, give 100 % during your PT sessions, and do the " home work" they assign you.

Never the shoulders, but both knees have had orthoscopic surgury and it has been great since. Key as stated,listen to the therapist and don't over do it.
Good luck John,I cringe when I hear my shoulders these days......it's a warning I will need a ibuprophin at night.

Like others have said, it depends on what they find and do, and what you consider a normal lifestyle.

I had a completely torn RC. Physical therapy will hurt bad, but do it. I had about 6 months before I could do a push up. I decreased bow weight a lot, and shot a lot. It's still not 100%, but I'd call it 80%.

Start now. Get 100 gl clear water, 100 lbs potatoes (dice 'em), 100 lbs sugar, and 50 pks of baking yeast. Mix and let sit for about a month. Strain out the fluid and start drinking it on a regular hourly basis.

By the time your done drinking the 'remedy', you'll have forgotten about your shoulder, any pain......and just about everything else. :)

I had mine redone (cuff and ligaments) 11 years ago. I started out with the shots. Shots only made it fell like it was better, than after 30 days it would be back to hurting. I was in a sling for a month and had PT 3 times a day for a month. I lost some of my range of motion but I can still shoot my bow.

I have had the knee replaced, but the shoulder is a different animal. Wish you well!. Haven't hunted in a couple of years. Hope to give the metal knee a test this year.

Just got to draw a tag!

John, go get them to put the shot into your shoulder.Ihave the exact same MRI as you,and the shot worked great for about a month.I have pain now but have been working construction everyday since the shot and it now caught up with me.I could hardly lift my arm 2 months ago,and last week hung/finish 120 sheets drywall and sprayed /backrolled same job over the weekend.Thats a workout for a good shoulder.The shot will help you out a lot and it gave me no pain at all getting it done.I'll get another shot in a month and start looking for surgeon to fix problem more permanent.
I could shoot my bow the day after the shot

All a shot does is make you feel better. If it does not hurt, you may actually injure it more. It will not fix the problem. A couple years ago, mine got so bad that I could not sleep. The doctor went in and patched everything up. It was miserable being one-armed for awhile, but there is nothing that I cannot do now. It rarely bothers me at all.

The operation is worth it, but may slow you for a bit. Do it and go through at least the first part of the therapy, as it will get you on track. You can do most at home after while. Recovery time depends on how much damage there was.

The doctor that did mine said that therapy is good IF the therapist does not overdo it. They can do more damage some times. Shoulders cannot be accelerated. They have to heal on there own and the best therapy is using them within the limits placed on you by the doctor.

I've had 4 shoulder surgery, my left shoulder has been cut on twice my right shoulder has been scope twice. all four surgeries my recuperation time was about 6 weeks. the first surgery I had was back in 84. that's surgery stop me from having the ability to pull the longbow so I've always been shooting a crossbow. rehab of the shoulder is very important you keep up with you do not want let your shoulder lock up it could take as long as six months to get the shoulder Unforgiven so listen to the doc and stick with the rehab.

Last edited:
May is probably out for you. I tore my right labrum all the way off and they cleaned the joint and screwed the labrum back on. Therapy is the key and it is painful for a couple of weeks. Sleep in a recliner for the first few weeks. You will be in a sling for at least a month or maybe more. I tore the left labrum off falling on a boat ramp a year later. If the tears can heal without surgery that would be best. Good luck.

Start now. Get 100 gl clear water, 100 lbs potatoes (dice 'em), 100 lbs sugar, and 50 pks of baking yeast. Mix and let sit for about a month. Strain out the fluid and start drinking it on a regular hourly basis.

By the time your done drinking the 'remedy', you'll have forgotten about your shoulder, any pain......and just about everything else. :)

could you apply heat while and vent through a copper coil?

I got the results back from the MRI that I had on my shoulder that I tore up in Iraq. It looks like I have a labral tear, degeneration in the joint, and rotator cuff tendonosis. I've been in physical therapy for about 2 months and I'm not making very good progress. My physical therapist said I'm more than likely looking at an orthroscopic surgery to make repairs. She said I'll probably just get a shot in the rotator cuff tendon. I see the ortho doctor about it in a couple of weeks, but I'd like to ask you guys what I'm looking forward to. Have any of you had shoulder surgery? What sort of rehab am I looking at? How long until I can return to a somewhat normal life? I'm a little bummed out that this could interfere with a trip to Montana in May.

Everyone is different in regards to their rehab. Depending on the aggressiveness of physical therapy anywhere from 6-8 weeks to somewhat functional to 6 months for full function...again just ballpark. How thick is the tear in the labrum? Is the degeneration causing any spurs inside/around the joint? Rotator cuff issue is most likely the result of compensation. While good to strengthen the rotator cuff through PT, could be made worse if bone spurs exist.

Thanks for all of the replies. I see the ortho doc on April 3rd, so if he schedules surgery quickly, hopefully that will give me a month of recovery time to be able to fish in the middle of May in Montana. I have a goofy, almost sidearmed, fly fishing cast, so I'm wondering if that range of motion is easier than an overhead cast. Spin cast fishing shouldn't be an issue either. All of this is depending on if I'm still in a sling or not, I suppose. I did a lot of damage in the initial injury when I got ejected from my vehicle and landed on the shoulder. I couldn't use my right arm for almost 2 years. I also have a brachial plexus injury to that shoulder, which effects the entire arm nerve wise.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back