Yeti GOBOX Collection

sheep grandslam out of reach?

T Bone

Just got back from the FNAWS banquet here in Reno. What a show! Booths of every type of hunt on every continent. Lots of custom gun builders, optics, gear, boots, and lots of stuff for the little lady.

The sheep guides are offering some great deals, the industry has taken it in the shorts with the post 9-11 economy. Lots of Canadian and Alaska Dall hunts for 7-9k.

Here's my price list for the Grandslam.

Dall Alaska or NWT-$8500
Stone NWT, BC - $14000
Rocky Mtn, Alberta, $12000
Desert, Baja $35000

Is it just me, or is the grandslam out of reach of 99.9% of hunters?

T Bone

Can't touch it!
frown.gif

Looks like the prairie dog grand slam for me. Would be nice to be able to write a check and hunt them though. Then again, the check writing would be a piece of cake, it would be the cashing it part that would be difficult.
biggrin.gif

You either need lots of money or lots of luck. The Desert Bighorn tags in UT are very coveted.

OK, Let's look at this.

Dall Alaska or NWT-$8500
Stone NWT, BC - $14000
Rocky Mtn, Alberta, $12000
Desert, Baja $35000

Rocky Mountain---If you can draw in your own state the costs won't be much more than a deer or elk hunt. Maybe a few hundred bucks. If you draw a non resident tag and can take some time to do your own scouting and don't use a guide you can probably do the hunt for a couple thousand bucks easily (over the cost of the tag). Maybe a lot less than that.

Desert Sheep---same as Rocky Mountain.

Dall Sheep--Watch for cancellation hunts or buy one at a charity auction and save up to 75%. Do it like Deerslayer did it. I know I could get a Dall for less than $5000 total.

Stone Sheep---Same as a Dall, maybe a few thousand more.

I've known guys who traded carpenter work to an outfitter for a Dall or Stone hunt. Attend the FNAWS and other conventions and get to know outfitters. Ask about cancellation hunts where somebody has made a large down payment and can't go. You may pick it up for the difference, which I've done. Find outfitters in Canada who charge in Canadian dollars. Think about this--suppose a hunter has paid $5000 down on a hunt and cancels two weeks before the hunt. If you were an outfitter what would you do with that hunt? Remember, an outfitter tag not used is money lost.

Go to the conventions and get to know lots of guys from other states. You'll find some guys there with low incomes who are doing everything they can to hustle up a hunt for less than the retail cost. Learn the ropes from them. I know lots of guys who took second jobs to earn money for hunts.

That's the kinda stuff I did when I started and I got my Dall, Stone and Rocky Mountain for less than $10,000 for all three, including travel costs and taxidermy work. And if I could draw a Desert Sheep permit I bet I could get one for three or four thousand bucks over the cost of the tag, easily, if I could take the time off to scout. Probably do it for a lot less than that.

Take a few vacations over the years to scout out sheep areas in your state or others so you'll have a jump on the process if you get drawn. I would never apply for a sheep tag in a unit I wasn't familiar with unless I was sure a friend knew the area real well and would help me. Volunteer to help someone else on their hunt and learn where some sheep are like that.

My origional goal was to get a grand slam for less than $12,000 and I coulda done it if I had drawn a Desert permit back before the tag prices went up around a thousand bucks. I have plenty of friends who would help me find a Desert Sheep in NV, Arizona or Utah.

Given my time constraints now with a new business I might not be able to do enough scouting to be sure of getting a Desert Sheep by myself, but I bet if I had ten days to scout and ten days to hunt I could get a Desert Sheep without hiring an outfitter/guide. Now I just might hire one because it would increase my chances of getting a Desert sheep and I've been waiting to draw a permit for my fourth leg of the slam since 1983.

If I were starting out all over again I'd set my goal at $15,000 bucks for a grand slam and figure out a way to get that done. I bet most of you who live in the West could do it, too. Figure it might take you ten or twenty years and you'll have a great time. And if you end up like me after twenty years still waiting for a Desert tag, so what? You'll still have had a great time.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-25-2003 16:05: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I agree, if you are lucky enough to draw then you can do it. However if you aren't lucky enough to draw the tags chances are you are going to need some deep pockets to be able to afford those hunts.

70 grand is a lot of bread. I think I'll stick to those 2-4 grand hunts, and do more of them. I'm not all that crazy about a sheep anyway. Elk and bear are just as enjoyable.
smile.gif

Good post Ithica

Now if I could just draw for Desert and Rcky Mntn or California Big Horn nextyear, I'll be in great shape. While I love hunting all big game, there is something special about sheep. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe its the high, wild places.

T Bone

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T Bone:
While I love hunting all big game, there is something special about sheep. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe its the high, wild places.

T Bone
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm not sure either? But rumor has it that Oscar can answer that question
tongue.gif
something about being stump broke or hung up in a fence
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Well besides comon Farm Sheep (LIKe FLIPPER Pointer out
wink.gif
), I haven't gotten the bug per say. I would love to do a slam in my lifetime. MAybe I will get fired up someday. I'm guesing in the next 10 years I should get fired up or hang my hats. Doing a big Sheep hunt is for the Tough as well as the rich/lucky.

Just got back from FNAWS. Sheep hunts keep getting more and more pricey. Most of the Stone sheep hunts from the top outfitters are going for $20,000 +. This does not include transportation, bush flight, license, tags, GST, tip for guide, and so on. Then the success rates have only been around 60% for several years. Top this off with many of the sheep being harvested right at 7 to 8 years old and just legal. I think I'll sit out the stone sheep hunts for a while or do a Yukon Fannin hunt.

I did talk to a top guide who is doing Alaska Dall hunts for $6,500. At this price I can do 3 hunts to one stone hunt. Not too hard of a choice.

Utah is really doing a good job with their sheep program. More and more opportunity for residents and non residents, for bigger and bigger sheep. Way to go Utah! I did buy one of their raffle tags for $20. Great way to support Utah FNAWS and have a chance at a Desert Sheep.

Paul

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-29-2003 09:39: Message edited by: Paul C ]</font>

Good post Ithaca.....

I am sure I will never do the slam.....money and patience are against me on that. But I do know I will kill many more sheep in my lifetime. I will go back after Dalls in a couple of years with my brother.....and I feel certain to draw a Bighorn tag in the next 5 or so years.......and that will be a slam dunk hunt.

For those that say they are really not interested in sheep hunting......man, you gotta try it!...just once and you will be hooked!

Another one I am eaten up with is mountain goats.......and next year will find me in the high mountains of Alaska chasing a big Billy!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-03-2003 08:53: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back