cropping of full curl rams

AlaskaHunter

The Alaska Wildlife Chapter of the Wildlife Society had their conference this week in Fairbanks.
One of the posters by AK Fish & Game Scientists was an analysis of ram horns since the sealing requrement was in effect.

53 % of rams that were harvested had lived at least one year beyond their initial full curl.
I found that interesting since the conventional wisdom is the mountains are loaded with 7/8 curl rams that are shot as soon as they reach full curl.

The number of sheep harvested and the number of sheep hunters is declining

DallSheep_Harvests.jpg
source:https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/library/pdfs/wildlife/mgt_rpts/14_sheep_report_bog.pdf

Only 783 rams were harvested in 2017.
2013 was a terrible spring with snow until later May at low elevations around Fairbanks.
With a warming climate, we got more winter rains or icing even at higher elevations which can't help.

Here is a article from Alaska Dispatch News: https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article/alaska-dall-sheep-populations-shrink-guides-and-hunters-vie-bigger-share-harvest/2015/02/13/

--Skeeter

Last edited:
I'm currious who presented the poster? I'm interested in a study that is in the works on horn growth/age, and wonder if this is a pre-cursor to it.

I'm currious who presented the poster? I'm interested in a study that is in the works on horn growth/age, and wonder if this is a pre-cursor to it.

Tony Kavalok at F&G in Palmer is listed as "contact" for the paper.

Not surprised that the number of sheep harvested is declining. Have you seen what it takes for the average person to put together a sheep hunt? :D

Should see even more of a decline in Nonresident participation with the new 4 year wait period. I still would love to see the actual numbers of Next of Kin Non Res. vs Non residents. My guess is that its a pretty unbalanced number yet the NOK got waylaid with the new rules.

Sheep harvest and hunter numbers were up this year. 2017 saw the highest resident harvest since 2008 (since the Chugach went to a draw) and residents had the the highest success since the state went to full curl some 25 years ago in 1992. Hard to argue that sheep hunting is going down the drain... NR success was also up. We had good weather for most of August, and 2 easy winters preceding = more sheep to shoot. Sheep are very susceptible to winter kill and depredation, and go through cycles. As of now we are on the upswing in a lot of areas. and had a pretty easy winter again in most areas. Although, some areas in the Brooks are not doing so well... similar to the late 80's early 90s when the population was depressed.

I've spent a considerable amount of time sitting through meetings, round table discussions, talking with many, many people, reviewing data on virtually all aspects of this issue. The consensus is that hunting is not having an impact on the sheep numbers, we have fewer sheep than we did 20 years ago but also have fewer hunters. There are fewer sheep in the national parks, as well as in areas we can hunt, so its not hunting by one group or another... The data we have is only 30 years worth +/- and much of it is pretty sketchy, with tons of holes. We've seen a lot of changes in sheep population in that time frame. For instance the 13D Eastern Chugach is circling the drain, population wise, but in the 90s we had record numbers of sheep, sheep hunters, and harvest. Its all on a draw, and we've displaced or retired nearly 300 sheep hunters because of that.

Success rates have been basically the same for decades even with changes in sheep management strategies, and declining sheep hunter numbers. Which again, has a lot of variables as to why we have fewer hunters, the biggest is losing the Chugach to a draw in 2008. Fewer transporters (tougher regulations), fewer guides (regulations on themselves) fewer accessible sheep (Kenai, Chugach and Talkeetna ranges)

The sheep issue, like virtually all wildlife management issues anywhere is purely a social issue. We always talk about "sound management" but it always comes down to who gets to kill what.

The full curl regulation guarantees that we have sheep to hunt every year, and from what we know, about half age legal rams (and apparently now, curl legal rams) make it through to the next season. Some GMUs are much higher 50%, some areas are below, just depends on access, and population.

NOK make up about 20-25% of NR hunters (80-100 hunters our of about 400 NR) each year and take 40-50 sheep a year. I would think it would be pretty hard to complain about getting to go sheep hunting every year or shoot one every 4, vs ponying up $20,000. What about the guys that can't swing that kind of cash, or don't have family? Too bad, right...

A bout 5% of all resident sheep hunters have killed 2 or more sheep, and about 99.7% of all NR hunters kill only one. There aren't that many NOK hunters that come back year after year. Most go once or twice and that's it, 80% don't ever kill one. We're talking 15-20 NOK hunters who have killed more than 2 sheep in the last 20 years. I do agree that the 1:4 has basically no effect on anything, it was a bone that APHA tossed out to appease everyone, but they knew it had zero effect.

I would honestly love to see the guide requirement go away, give out 400-500 NR sheep tags on a draw and let everyone who wants to go, have at it. Get rid of the silly NOK rule along with the guide requirement. Let everyone have equal opportunity to hunt.

I would honestly love to see the guide requirement go away, give out 400-500 NR sheep tags on a draw and let everyone who wants to go, have at it. Get rid of the silly NOK rule along with the guide requirement. Let everyone have equal opportunity to hunt.[/QUOTE]

This would be the best thing ever for AK to drop the silly guide requirements and allow a non res to go DIY. It will never happen probably because of guides crying. I feel the same amount of guys will pretty much still call up a guide to go if drawn. So not much of a loss there. The state would make way more $$ on draw fee wouldn't you think?

I would probably hunt Alaska every year for the next 10 - 15 years if they removed the guide requirements. I believe the only way to get that to happen would be some powerful legislation or a lawsuit. Maybe before I get to old to experience all of Alaska's adventures the guide law will change but I am not going to hold my breath..

Last edited:
Brad is the first author: [email protected]

Here is a youtube link about the declining sheep population in portions of the Chugach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76nTePy5Ns
(Tom Lohuis is the presenter, sheep biologist with Fish & Game out of Palmer)

Thanks. I assumed it was Brad, but wanted to make sure it was the same study. I've seen Tom's presentation a couple times.

His next study on sheep in the Wrangells both in and out of the park is going to be very interesting.

I would probably hunt Alaska every year for the next 10 - 15 years if they removed the guide requirements. I believe the only way to get that to happen would be some powerful legislation or a lawsuit. Maybe before I get to old to experience all of Alaska's adventures the guide law will change but I am not going to hold my breath..

The guide requirements will NEVER go away. There is even a current proposal to require guides for non-residents to hunt caribou on the north slope. Not at all sure where it will end up.

The guide requirements will NEVER go away. There is even a current proposal to require guides for non-residents to hunt caribou on the north slope. Not at all sure where it will end up.

I agree with one exception. Perhaps fall interior grizzlies in selected units?

That would up the harvest of interior grizzles if non-residents could
shoot them without a guide while caribou/moose hunting.

It would fit in with AK Fish and Game management objectives of reduced predators
in these units (like 20D/20E) and most interior caribou/moose hunters are unguided
in these units.

--Skeeter

I agree with one exception. Perhaps fall interior grizzlies in selected units?

That would up the harvest of interior grizzles if non-residents could
shoot them without a guide while caribou/moose hunting.

It would fit in with AK Fish and Game management objectives of reduced predators
in these units (like 20D/20E) and most interior caribou/moose hunters are unguided
in these units.

--Skeeter

IF interior grizzlies were exempted, what would be the rationalization for keeping the guide requirement on any grizzly. I'm not saying it might not be a bad idea, just saying that APHA will be completely dead-set against it.

IF interior grizzlies were exempted, what would be the rationalization for keeping the guide requirement on any grizzly. I'm not saying it might not be a bad idea, just saying that APHA will be completely dead-set against it.

Yes. The Board of Game might agree with the advisory board and the
area biologists who want to increase moose/caribou populations in 20D/20E
where predator control is highly desired (for example no cost resident tags on griz, 2 bear resident limit,
baiting griz for residents, Aug10-June30 season, all in current regs in 20E).
And most caribou/moose nonresident hunters in 20E are unguided hunters.
The requirement for spring griz to be guided would remain.

The Board of Game might also receive substantial pressure
from interior legislators who want more predator control in 20D/E.

Ultimately it always the Board of Game's decision.

I do agree with you that guides would likely put up a stink because they
would not want to start a "slippery slope" with nonresident hunters and griz.

--Skeeter

Last edited:
The guide requirement was key in my deciding not to return to AK after shot a mountain goat with a guide. Was absolutely worth paying a guide to first experience Alaska and to have the logistics handled since a super cub flight was needed to hunt my draw tag.

I felt confident I now had the proper gear to return to AK to hunt sheep but prefer to hunt without a guide as I like being the hunter whereas with a guide I feel I am mostly a shooter. Just not as memorable but I have always filled my tag with a guide.

If the guide requirement went away, I would have been in the sheep draw every year. It did not and probably will not. I can hunt unguided for several hunts in the Western U.S. for the cost of one guided Dall hunt. A Dall would be more special than a few more elk hunts but I play the cards I am dealt.

I have had a great run in Alaska. Can't complain Not necessarily that I've shot lots of animals but more the experiences with my brother, son, and father on at least one of the hunts. I tell people all the time that sheep hunting is my favorite now. Something about it, the physicality, the preparation, luck and just being in such huge country. I really wish more avid hunters could experience it without it being a rich man's game. The part that erks me is just the blatant control that the Outfitters have in the whole scheme of things. I suppose it's similar to what Wyoming has going on with the wilderness issue. NOK hunters for some reason are a threat to them. Not sure why, they still are usually booked solid. If it all came to an end for me I'd have a lifetime of memories up there to look back on and a few sheep on the wall to refreshen my memory :)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back