Scapegoat/Bob Marshall Wilderness Areas

MT Bound

Just curious about the reputation and aura that the Scapegoat/Bob Marshall Wilderness areas have? I’m looking forward to exploring and hunting remote areas in MT in the coming year(s), but not knowing the true depth of “danger” or challenge that this area would prove to be, so just trying to get some reputable insight from the more experienced guys.

I’ve never stepped foot in the infamous SG/Bob Wilderness area, but have seen it from a distance. Read quotes that it holds the most dense population of griz in the lower 48, as well as a good # of wolves?

Does it get hit hard by elk hunters during the early back-country firearms season, or outfitter hunts?

Any discussion/insight would be appreciated. thanks

Phil

Pretty high number of outfitters hunt this area. Elk are not as numerous as they used to be because the feed in the Wilderness is not great. Can be a boom or bust hunt. I know the outfitters back in there are not doing as well as they used to do. You do get to use a rifle starting in the middle of September which is a unique aspect of this hunt.

Yes, there are definitely a high number of Griz in this area. Not a guarantee you'll see one, but I have seen a couple and there is enough sign to know they are around. There are also a lot of wolves. Not that you see one very often.

People don't hunt elk in the Bob for elk. They hunt in the Bob for the Bob. Elk are secondary. Or even further down the list. The Bob is one of the greatest Wilderness areas in the US. But I recommend visiting a few times to hike and fish before you bite off an DIY elk hunt.

You pretty much need horses to do this hunt (or a few special forces buddies). Hunting is not what it used to be and there are bears to deal with. Still, this is a classic elk hunt and you can hunt the rut with a rifle.

I haven't hunted it, but some friends do. they said elk numbers are down from the wolves. the scenery is second to none, so an elk would be a bonus on the trip in my opinion.

Horses are almost definitely required for a hunt.

As other have mentioned, the scenery is amazing and the fishing is good too. That's why I visit here in the summer time. Enjoy both of these and then head to more elk dense places to hunt in the fall.

I've hunted it quite a bit on the south side of the complex. It's big country. There are lots of bears. Rarely will you see one, but you'll see tracks every day.

It's a tough hunt without horses, but it's one you won't forget.

I agree with the recommendation to hike the Bob and check out the trails before going in to hunt. Horse packing or backpacking is necessary to really see any of the Bob. It's not really the kind of country for a day hike or day hunt.

sounds like some solid advice guys, just the kind I was looking for, much appreciated. Looks like a few summer hiking trips are in order.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back