Scapegoat/Bob elk hunting

Pagosa

Weve been training two younger horses to pack/trail work, we’ve had them since they were six months old. Planning to do a few summer trips or one trip into the Bob Marshal/Scapegoat wilderness areas in the fall of 2023 to hunt/fish, but mostly just enjoy the country. Does anyone have any recommendations on trails that lead into the wilderness that have available grass for two horses for 4-5 days? I don’t have any issues with moving camp every few days, and don’t want to be sharing the same meadow with an outfitter. I’ve got them broke to hot wire/solar fences, and we will be leading them and walking in with roughly 100-120 lbs of gear, and salt/feed, solar fencing, extra tack, etc another 50-70 lbs. We will carry our rifles/fishing gear, and day pack. I’m looking at hunting the southern end and coming in from Ovando, to hunt elk before they end up Clearwater. We have another kid broke mare, but she needs more work with water crossings and I don’t want to deal with three horses on the first few trips. Lastly, I don’t want to do any major River crossings. I appreciate any recent advice. Preston

Weve rode out of indian meadows, north of Lincoln.. And did 20+ miles each way.. that is some very wild country. Beautiful, but wild. Good place to put miles on, and will mellow any horse or mule. There are some outfitters but the country is very vast. We crossed a few small bridges and streams, nothing to crazy. Hope you guys have a great trip!

I would plan on teaching your horses to graze on a picket. I hunt back there every fall. There are very few elk and it's more of a horse trip but we occasionally stumble into elk. I'd also plan on packing hay because there is little to no grass left back there in sept

Been looking over a decade since I’ve done it, but we always found grass. We packed pellets too. By fall there won’t be any green grass to speak of, so it’s mostly filler.

Pellets are great bear bait. Also molasses oats. Regular oats is also bear food but doesn't seem to draw them for miles like molasses and cubes/pellets. Regular oats can plug up some horses if that's all they're getting and not used to it.

A ride in to Granite Creek cabin on the Flathead Middle Fork is a nice easy trip. A few crossings of Challenge Creek would be good practice for inexperienced horses. Be aware that all creeks on that side are closed to fishing and the river is usually quite low by then, but still a few trout to be caught. Parts or all of the Middle Fork are catch and release so check the regs. The trail upriver from Challenge Creek is spectacular but not good for inexperienced horses. Going up over the rock "stairs" is a bit hairy as is crossing the narrow bridge over a chasm just the other side. Better to take Morrison Creek trail if you want to explore the Schaefer Meadows and beyond.

Last edited:
Honestly, summer fishing trips are more enjoyable. Better weather, some grass for the horses, less stuff to pack, and there can be some phenomenal fishing

Back