Caribou Gear

Wilderness Area montage

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Beautiful country. I helped bring a mountain goat off the cliff just to the right side of your lake picture.
Never been anywhere in that neck of the woods. I loved it.

I did not bring any glass on this hike since there were kids in tow and hucks to be plucked, but the whole time we were there I was kicking myself because it looked so very goat-y. Picturesque place for a hunt.

I don't think we're in disagreement here. Maybe I should have said, claimed and then managed as wilderness when convenient.

The trains and highway down in the valley below the picture sure didn't make it feel like wilderness.

For anyone interested in more info: https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/wilderness-in-glacier.htm
I was referencing the fact that they even think they manage as de facto wilderness. I led trail crews in that NP for 15 years, many of which were in the specific drainage in your picture. We cleared back country trails with Stihl chainsaws, built bridges with chainsaws and power tools, built outhouses with power tools, many lakes allow motor boats, and a major highway(GTTSR) cuts through the middle. That's not happening directly across the highway. Many of my best friends and memories are because of that NP. But for them to claim they manage for "wilderness character", has always been laughable at best to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back