Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SB196 - New Mexico

I think it's a bunch of crap myself. I would like to see NR get 10 - 15% across the board, including ALL big game. With no concession going to the outfitters.

On another note, no offense to NR's... Just curious, and I agree with your concerns here but why would a NM politician care what a NR thinks? I don't think the canned e-mail replies offer any comfort. "I appreciate all input, especially that from my constituents in Senate District 15"; "Every input I receive from constituents is of value to me"; "I hope to earn your support and always be a public servant rather than a politician."

Until the landowners and outfitters have less pull, things aren't going to be "fair" to the common Resident or Non Resident.

--Bill

Just curious, and I agree with your concerns here but why would a NM politician care what a NR thinks?

Politicians don't care that is the problem. They should care. Non-residents fork out a decent wad of cash into their state. Therefore your state will be looking elsewhere for that money non-residents spend...the residents will end up paying the difference sooner or later. But hey, its good for the landowners...it aught to drive up the price they can sell their landowner tags for. :p

If it passes with anything close to current content, or at least with the ~$90 required general hunt license purchase to apply, I expect NM to join the ranks of preference/bonus point states in a few years. Will be a shame, since it was always great to go in to that draw with an equal chance to draw.

...latest reply.

Thank you for your thoughts and concerns about hunting opportunity in New Mexico, and Senate Bill 196.I believe that the future of hunting for all of us across the nation depends first on ensuring that the great American tradition of hunting opportunity is accessible for all citizens, not just the wealthy or well-connected. Many average citizens in New Mexico are dropping out of
hunting altogether and we are losing a tradition and connection to the land because it has become so difficult for a resident of average means to obtain a big-game hunting license in their own state. That is why I believe residents of New Mexico deserve 90 percent of big game licenses. A 90 percent guarantee for residents is standard in the majority of western states, and it is also not as restrictive to non-residents as some states in the Midwest and other places are with re-established elk herds, and is not as restrictive as states such as Oregon that guarantee residents 95 percent of deer and elk drawings and 97 percent of antelope and black bear. A 90 percent quota on big game draw hunts for resident hunters is the most common practice in western states and has been in place for years in Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada and Utah. While my first priority is to ensure adequate local opportunity to pass on our hunting traditions, I do also believe that non-residents should not be overly restricted. My legislation, as originally written, permitted 10 percent of big game draw licenses to go to non-residents and did not mandate that anyone hire an outfitter. The issue we are now working through in the New Mexico legislature is how to deal with the outfitter set aside that was established in New Mexico law in 1997 at a level of 12 percent. This set-aside mandates that a substantial number of hunters must hire an outfitter in order to get access to a hunting license. In the past this mandate has overly restricted New Mexico residents to just 78 percent of big game licenses, a number so low that it actually gives our state residents lower odds of getting a license than non-residents in over two-thirds of our big game hunts. Amendments were added to Senate Bill 196 that have re-established the outfitter set-aside and reduced it to 8 percent, but now the set-aside has overly restricted non-residents to just two-percent of licenses. It is important to note that the Senate Conservation Committee was just laying the groundwork for a final bill. I am now committed to work to improve the status of non-resident hunters like you, as two-percent is too low for non-residents who are not forced to hire an outfitter. The outfitter set-aside mandate is a problem and a difficult issue to solve for both resident and non-resident hunters who love New Mexico.
Thank you again for taking the time to write on this important issue.
Respectfully,

Senator George K. Muñoz
NM State Senator District 4

When trying to decide where to take a western hunting trip a year ago I went on their site and found it to be extremely confusing and unfriendly to the uninitiated, what with the landowner tags, etc. Now that this is in the works; I doubt seriously that I would step across the state line to drain my bladder.

"Many average citizens in New Mexico are dropping out of
hunting altogether and we are losing a tradition and connection to the land because it has become so difficult for a resident of average means to obtain a big-game hunting license in their own state."

define average?

Cost, Land Access & others are also a driving force behind losing the AVERAGE joe. I am sure there are many cow elk & less quality hunts that have acceptable draw odds. This is the case in Arizona as well, but we have adopted an OPPORTUNITY program. By the way, we still have a bunch of leftover Javelina tags that nobody wants to buy. I wonder why???:confused:

Animals & quality animals are limited resources that will always be valued. Quality hunt draw odds will not decrease, unless the wildlife agencies decide to create OPPORTUNITY. This will of course decrease the quality of the game & hunt, therefore decreasing the demand...

thoughts guys....

I think all of the non-residents should band together this year and boycott NM and not put in any applications. Show them what they will be losing. Post this around and let's try and get some support for it.

I dont want to limit Nonresidents to a mere 2%, but I wish Colorado would restrict them to 10-15%. Up to 35% is just too much, especially with the cut backs in deer tags the past few years

Crowding is a serious issue in Colorado and the seasons are painfully short to try and break hunters up into the different seasons. Colorado practices people management more than wildlife management with OTC Elk Tags, but money wins out every time here.

Dont worry, we're all in good hands.

SFW NM has you covered...they're pushing a different split...82-10-8 (resident, outfitters, and NR DIY). They are showing "no favoritism to any group".

They dont want to discuss outfitter welfare tags and they dont want to discuss transferable landowner tags either....those arent the problem.

I think all of the non-residents should band together this year and boycott NM and not put in any applications. Show them what they will be losing. Post this around and let's try and get some support for it.

I will lead the effort, and then slip in my uncontested 16D tag application...

The drop off might not be immediate, but when there are 14,000 folks (that's how many nonguided nonresidents applied for elk tags in 2010) applying for 500 licenses (down from 2,500 in 2010) I think people aren't going to be willing to fork over the extra $90 every year for VERY poor drawing odds. Especially without a bonus point system. There will be a shortfall in the NMDGF budget in a year or two if it passes as written.

It is actually even worse than folks were reporting. The 8% number is for anyone who wants to apply in the guided pool. Residents or Nonresidents. Depending on the unit and the draw odds there could be a significant number of residents that may apply under the guided pool to maximize their odds.

Non-residents are allocated only 2% of the tags to apply for exclusively.

If this passes New Mexico just went from one of the most non-resident friendly states to possibly the least non-resident friendly state in one fell swoop.

Here is a direct link to the current status of SB 196 on the New Mexico Legislature website. http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/_session.aspx?Chamber=S&LegType=B&LegNo=196&year=11

Here's the ugly part of the bill as it currently stands.

(1) ten percent of the licenses shall be issued as follows:

(a) no more than eight percent of the licenses to be drawn by nonresidents and residents who will be guided by a New Mexico outfitter or guide; and

(b) no more than two percent of the licenses to be drawn by nonresidents who are not required to be guided by a New Mexico outfitter or guide

Pretty much a direct slap in the DIY non-resident hunter's face.

I guess I should be thankful for the tags that I drew this past year because it looks like I won't be drawing them again if this passes.

Have I mentioned that the sky is falling? :(

The newest bill passed the Nm senate finance committe yesterday. The new allocations are:

84% R, 10% GNR, & 6% DIY NR. $65 license must be purchased to apply (in addition to the application fee). All cow tags and WMA tags go to R as well as any unused tags from the outfitter pool.

Outfitters must be NM residents that meet certain criteria and employ guides of which 80% are NM residents.

What is the new bill number? SB 196 is still showing to be stuck in the finance committee.

I keep hearing stuff, but haven't seen anything in writing on the NM legislature site.

My understanding is that the 10% pool is for guided residents or nonresidents.

I'm really curious how much drop off there will be in nonguided nonresident applications with the $65 and the drop to 6%. My gut feel says there will be enough folks drop out that the odds will end up basically the same for most units.

An area that will really affect me though is the unit I apply for deer there were hardly any guided applicants so the leftovers went to the nonguided nonresident pool. That will drop the tags available for nonguided nonresidents from 88 down to 24 using 2010 as an example. Much worse than it looks like at first glance going from 10% down to 6%. My odds will go from 36% down to less than 10% unless a lot of folks drop out.

Same bill number. It just passed last night and the info is from people that were in attendance.

You are correct, the Guided draw is open to R.

Odds could be roughly the same for elk but this will have a big impact on NR wanting to hunt oryx, for example. Odds were tough before, now DIY NR will be fighting for 4 tags per hunt....

I'll likely only apply in years I know I am going to NM and apply for easier to draw hunts. I can't say (as much as I'd like to) that I'll boycott NM. I like the state too much. I might apply on years I'm not donating to UT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back