Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sausage cheese and crackers

2rocky

So when someone says "bring some snacks to camp like sausage, cheese and crackers" What are you going to bring?

I'd probably grab some dry salami, sharp cheddar and Wheat Thins.

I wanted to see what the variations on this would be across the country. What are your picks, (and geographical reference)?

I usually bring an assortment of dried sausages, roasted red peppers ,Sun dried tomatos,marinated artichoke hearts, some olives,a ball of fresh mozzarella and a loaf or two of good Italian bread...There are a few other items but that's the basics:cool:

Smoked salmon, capers, diced red onions, sweet spicy mustard, club crackers...and a smoove blended whiskey.

I would bring some summer sausage and some sort of cured meat like a proscuitto. Homemade flax crackers and some water crackers. For cheese a triple cream cheese like a Mt. Tam, a soft goat like Humbolt Fog, and a hard cheese like a manchengo or lamb chopper. I'd also throw in some pickled items we make at home like pickled watermelon rind, red pepper relish, or pickled tongue if we have any.

Yes I live in California, and yes I like foo foey food.

I am goign to be honest, I wasn't sure this thread would be that interesting, now I am sitting at my desk hungry.

I guess my taste in this regard is simple for hunting camp. With my current freezer composition I would bring some bear summer sausage, some wisconsin cheddar and pepperjack (my wife is a cheesehead), and some ritz. If you asked my wife this question, the answer would look more like JR's.

As for drink, I have been enjoying some Border Bourbon (distilled by a local crew called 45th Parallel), and Balvenie Carribean Cask Scotch.

I asked this question after my father relayed a story about a pheasant trip where they ( a group of Northern CA old guys) brought dry salami to their hunt in the Dakotas. Their Host was not a fan of the Salami, but instead preferred summer sausage, which the Left Coasters found lacking.

I wonder where the dividing line is or whether it is strictly individual taste...

Sharp and crumbly mercy valley cheese, salami, quince paste, sun dried tomatoes, fetta, spinach dip and crackers and then i let the guys make their own choices. A could starter to a camp fire feed.

Dry salami, smoked cheddar, Club Crackers with a spread of apricot/jalapeno jelly

Salami, pepper cheese, Ritz crackers and probably a bottle of 18 yr old Weiser's Canadian whiskey. Maybe a jar of apple pie shine for dessert. ;)

Any wild game summer sausage with pepper jack cheese. No crackers...cut a piece and eat it and pass it along to the next guy :D

This is the best answer so far except I don't mind the crackers. I can't even pronounce a lot of the stuff you ther guys are talking about. And I sure don't care for sharp and extra sharp cheddar.

Christmas Baking

I like variety so much that you would be almost as likely to win the lottery as pick the exact combination that I would show up with. I haven't started making my own cheese and crackers, so that would be whatever sounds good at the store. I'm much more invested in the meat. Most likely I would bring jerky, but lately I've been making more sausage. My Christmas "baking" included moose jerky, venison jerky, beef jerky, venison summer sausage, beef summer sausage, lamb summer sausage, moose pepperoni, and moose teriyaki sausage - roughly 5lbs of each. I usually bag it in meal size portions, which works equally well whether I'm substituting for a meal or sharing a snack with a couple friends.

Attachments

• 10805749_10153522908824119_1412420842446163862_n.jpg
    10805749_10153522908824119_1412420842446163862_n.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 10891719_10153522908599119_4427487787361141559_n.jpg
    10891719_10153522908599119_4427487787361141559_n.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 164
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members