Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Salt Lake Expo

Oak

Expert
Who is going to the shindig? I understand some of you will be silently protesting by staying home.

Dinkshooter, Khunter and I will be making a hit and run on Saturday. If you're there, buy us a beer.

I hope Hunt Talkers win all the NR tags. Almost worth going, just to catch up with a few Hunt Talkers. But RMEF duties call me elsewhere.

If I was as close as I used to be I'd buy you that beer Oak! Good luck to all who attend in the lottery.

Who is going to the shindig? I understand some of you will be silently protesting by staying home.

Dinkshooter, Khunter and I will be making a hit and run on Saturday. If you're there, buy us a beer.

I'd buy ya a water...or beer as they call it in UT.... to celebrate my soon to be once in lifetime tags...:cool:

I am a hypocrit some times but not on the SLC expo. BOYCOTT for me.

I'm three hours from SLC ( thanks goodness) but I will make the trip. I hate the idea of these tags and wish they were back in the regular draw but until they are, which will be never, I will make they trip and put my name in the hat.

I always take the kids and make a day of it. There are some unreal displays that are worth the drive.

Gonna write a $100 check tonight to RMEF for Habitat Fundraiser. YOU ALL SHOULD!!

Then I'll drop about $100 to attend the Expo and Lifetime Tags this weekend.

Hopefully the hunting gods smile on me with my RMEF donation. If I draw sheep or buffalo I plan to invite Randy so I can become famous.

Gonna write a $100 check tonight to RMEF for Habitat Fundraiser. YOU ALL SHOULD!!

Then I'll drop about $100 to attend the Expo and Lifetime Tags this weekend.

Hopefully the hunting gods smile on me with my RMEF donation. If I draw sheep or buffalo I plan to invite Randy so I can become famous.

You better make it $101 to RMEF...just to tip the scale the other way. ;) Good luck.

Report from the Hunt Expo.

Good stuff
- The Brett Ross buck on display. Amazing!
- Chat with the goHunt.com people. Hunt Talk partner and great site with clear content.
- Ran into a friend from high school 30+ years ago. He now outfits in NM.

Not so Good stuff
- The Utah Taxidermy Association did not have their competition display.
- Sick money on auction tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope the expo was good guys. It seems like its one of the more popular ones to attend, even though i am sure there are many who disagree with the SFW ideology concerning tags.

One year i will get over and check out an expo or two, but always too busy hunting to find time for it at the moment.

Does price of admission, display space, concessions or other funds besides the tag auction proceeds go to SFW directly? mtmuley

I've been to it several times in the past and I always thought it was just so-so.
Could someone enlighten me on the controversy between the expo and SFW?

Thanks!

Randy

Attending that show supports SFW and the tag grab mentality. When this show first came about, SWF talked the UT F&G into giving them a bunch of tags out of the drawing pool to promote attendance to the show and if I remember correct it was supposed to be for a few years deal. Well that turned into a long term deal and most hunters do not agree a public resource should be used in this manner. Take a look at what percentage of big game tags go to auctions in UT and it will make you want to puke. Not many hunters want this type of thing to spread to other states. Then there is the SFW and wolf delisting story. Do a little searching here on this forum to find out where they stood and the results of it. Randy Newberg did a lot of research and even challenged the leader of SFW to a public debate that was turned down.

I felt obligated to go now that I live in SLC. It's a double edge sword for me as many of you probably feel the same way. Like Randy said, I hope some Hunt Talkers walk away with those tags!

Had a great time with some good friends. Here was my best and worst.

Best:
- Nobody in the beer lines
- Gohunt.com was great and like someone mentioned above the content is clear and easy to use. Not many forward thinkers in the industry but these guys get it.
- Bedazzled jeans and spray tans. And, you should have seen what the women were wearing!

Worst:
- Don Peay speaking on stage having his public c*#k measuring contest with his buddies
- The 2 guys from Nevada named Tony who both thought they won a stone sheep hunt in the grand slam drawing. One of the Tony's did not realize there were 2 people standing up. He was not happy when they announced the last name and it wasn't his. Ouch...
- Realizing that Utah is full of sheep...the domestic kind. The expo pulls over 30,000 hunters, most of whom enjoy the public land hunting lifestyle. However, I'd guess that less than 1% advocate for keeping public land public. It is shocking to me as a newer Utah resident.

In the last Huntin' Fool magazine I'll ever receive (another story...), there was a huge section on auction/raffle tags, it painted such a clear picture of the screwing that UT hunters are taking at the hand of SFW. How that is allowed to continue is baffling. Agree with bmack, sheep indeed.

Worst:
- The 2 guys from Nevada named Tony who both thought they won a stone sheep hunt in the grand slam drawing. One of the Tony's did not realize there were 2 people standing up. He was not happy when they announced the last name and it wasn't his. Ouch...

I missed the Nevada part, I envisioned a classic, "I've had a couple too many beers, here are my thoughts" moment from Tony C.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back