Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Salt Lake Expo

I missed the Nevada part, I envisioned a classic, "I've had a couple too many beers, here are my thoughts" moment from Tony C.

Lol. He went hard on Thursday night and became the easiest sale in the world on Friday. Walked away with a ShamWow sun glass cleaner, a random duck call lanyard and possibly a flying helicopter.

Casey won a muzzle loader during the full curl raffle which was pretty cool.

My friend Shayne and I attended since we were in the Film Festival held at the show. Drove over 1800 miles round trip but it was definitely worth it because we came home with an award and made a lot of new friends! I wish I would of checked in on here prior so I could have met some of you but things got busy.

I felt it was a well run show and there were a lot of nice people. The only thing I would question is what are they doing with the money raised. I have no problem auctioning a tag off for large amounts of money as long as that money goes to good conservation use, resulting in more opportunities down the road for the regular draw. Here's my analysis on the show:

Good:
- Organized show with lots of vendors and activities/seminars
- Met a lot of nice people from the industry
- Fairly good NR odds for drawing some OIL tags (1 in 888 for Desert BH last year)

Bad:
- Lots of money pits especially raffles
- Large portion of vendors are outfitters (not bad if you are looking to talk to a bunch of outfitters but wasn't what I was looking for)
- Felt focused on money and trophy animals instead of the future of the industry and conservation. That being said everyone loves seeing big animals and conservation efforts require money so I'm not sure what to think.

Are there any companies that support SFW?? If so, I'd make sure to take my business elsewhere.

Thanks Bob, I'll send an email. I'm not in the market this year for a new bow, but may be soon.

I don't have a lot of time for googling today so if anyone else knows of companies that support them, please post. I will be sure to send emails as I get a chance.

There is a way to stop SFW from stealing our tags, and it's by hitting them in the pocketbook. I guarantee if companies get enough emails, they'll think twice about who they give their money to.

On the other hand, it's important to send emails to companies like Leupold and thank them for supporting people like Randy, who help fight for us "average Joe hunters."

There is a way to stop SFW from stealing our tags, and it's by hitting them in the pocketbook. I guarantee if companies get enough emails, they'll think twice about who they give their money to.

On the other hand, it's important to send emails to companies like Leupold and thank them for supporting people like Randy, who help fight for us "average Joe hunters."

Sometimes it's not that easy.... http://www.huntexpo.com/sponsors.php

After a senior trip to Salt Lake City in high school which found me disgusted with numerous aspects of the place, I, like many level-headed Montanans, decided to boycott Utah and anything associated with it in general.

My life has been far better because of it.

. The only thing I would question is what are they doing with the money raised. I have no problem auctioning a tag off for large amounts of money as long as that money goes to good conservation use, resulting in more opportunities down the road for the regular draw.k.

Well, that is where the mystery starts.:cool:
Well if you organize the banquets that the tags get raffled off at you can collect a pretty nice salary. I remember seeing once what that yearly salary was and I know it was more than what the majority of members here make. But hey, everyone else is supposed to donate time and money so others can collect a hefty paycheck to sell off your public animals.

I tried to pull SFW Financials off their website link but it was unavailable. Isn't that odd!

Even if a guy isnt willing to boycott those companies, an email expressing your concern couldn't hurt.

I could easily boycott every one of those companies for the next year, BUT do I have to sell off their equipment that I already own?

After a senior trip to Salt Lake City in high school which found me disgusted with numerous aspects of the place, I, like many level-headed Montanans, decided to boycott Utah and anything associated with it in general.

My life has been far better because of it.

Wow! I would feel bad if I wasn't so happy you have not been back.

p.s I do love Montana and ironically have a number of friends who grew up in MT and they love UT. I guess you find what you look for unless you don't want to.

+1 dukes

I grew up in North Ogden. I've been in Montana since 2006. I can truly say that the most gorgeous place in the world without a doubt is................Switzerland!!!! : )

For anyone who has bowhunted The Front it's hard to bash SLC. There are world class mule deer within 30 minutes of the airport and I'm not talkin antelope island. Not to mention there are more ski resorts (and way better) within 45 minutes of slc than all of Montana combined.

This might be a surprise to some on this site but the Vast Majority of Utahns who hunt are not friends of the SFW nor the Doyle Moss fan club. My brother in law is a game warden in Utah and I've spent countless hours in the field with him. I've seen just as much or more stupid crap go on in Montana as I have in Utah when it comes to breaking rules and bad hunter manners.

This I know for sure........if you have a limited entry tag in your pocket and are having a rough go at it I bet there is no state in the union with better odds of complete strangers offering help, pointers, or tips than the beehive state that's for sure!!

This I know for sure........if you have a limited entry tag in your pocket and are having a rough go at it I bet there is no state in the union with better odds of complete strangers offering help, pointers, or tips than the beehive state that's for sure!!

He's right there no other place on the planet you'll get the help of a posse if you know someone down there. Lots of goatees too.

I hope I draw an elk tag this year. I'm getting closer :D

utah.jpg

spider-bull-5.jpg

Bart is always the comic. That's not what I meant and you know it.

Like I said. The vast majority of hunters who live in Utah don't affiliate with posse hunting by outfitters. Besides I see just as many mossback posse pics with animals that were shot in Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada....it's not a Utah thing it's a money thing that transcends state boundaries.

I got a door ding in my car when I was in Glasgow one night while on a work trip so I guess all people from the fort peck area suck and I'm never going back!!!!! : )

Giving the state of Utah and the average Joe hunter who lives there a bad wrap because of SFW and Mossback makes as much sense as giving the average joe hunter from Montana and this great state grief because of what Ted turner and the Wilkes brothers are able to do.

The guy who shot that big ram in the breaks with his bow had just as big of posse with him as the spider bull pic does.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back