Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ryan Busse. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Can you point to any other board members who are members here?

I e said several times. I won't reward him financially for his turn.

He can send me a free book, looks like it increased his sales.

I don't need to read a PETA board members book to know I don't support them.

Busse is choosing his interviews, he's putting that out
If a PETA board member who used to be say for example (these don't really exist anymore but for the point's sake) a commercial market hunter who killed tens of thousands of animals and who now was still a hunter but now hunted, and killed much less and more care-full-ly for personal pleasure and benefit, if that person wrote a book, I'd be very very interested in it and in that organization's views, since they were partnering with someone who'd seem to be their enemy.

In fact, in sort of making up this example I realize that in many ways, this is exactly how commercial market hunting ended and moved over to "sport" hunting. We learn and grow and progress, that's a hard pill to swallow for some folks and they use fear and conjecture to try to keep others in their cave with them.

Started reading his book last night. Trying to stay objective and read and process it, rather than think of a rebuttal for anything I disagree with. I want to know what he says, and where it comes from myself, rather from "talking points" from either side. A huge issue these days is the tribalism of the R vs D tribes, and discounting whatever someone who isn't in your tribe says.
And the social media effect of "my opinion is the only opinion that matters so consider it fact. Don't try to change my mind". Not sure what is causing more societal decay, social media or the political tribes....perhaps it's a tsunami of both with guns and other polarizing topics being picked up by the wave.

"Suspects out on bond have killed more than 150 people in Harris County - What's Your Point?" https://www.fox26houston.com/whats-...-people-in-harris-county-whats-your-point.amp

"90 people charged with murder are out on bail in Chicago | On Air Videos | Fox News" https://video.foxnews.com/v/6291578308001

"NYC’s worst 2021 cases stem from shaky bail reform law" https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/nycs-worst-2021-cases-stem-from-shaky-bail-reform-law/amp/

Yes. You got me. The sarcasm went right past you, obviously I was wrong

Come on get some credible sources. Rubert Murdoch owned media is hardly a source of truth or accuracy.

And you are much better at deflection than sarcasm.

And the social media effect of "my opinion is the only opinion that matters so consider it fact. Don't try to change my mind". Not sure what is causing more societal decay, social media or the political tribes....perhaps it's a tsunami of both with guns and other polarizing topics being picked up by the wave.
I think social media is a huge cause of the political tribes. It has given a way for people to interact with like minded individuals while blocking out any dissenting voice. It is so easy to curate your own echo chamber and only interact with members of your own tribe.

It's telling when people get all high and mighty about rappers singing about shooting people, or even (gasp!) cops, but will no doubt all sing along to Jonny Cash saying how he "shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" or how he "took a shot of cocaine and shot my women down."

Bens SNL Drunk Uncle gif was spot on.

Congrats to all for this thread evading the ban hammer, though the edge must have been walked by now.

Music is certainly an interesting lense by which to look at gun culture in America. You'd have to extend the time line a bit to get an even better look, but in the Johnny Cash era compared to the Snoop era, you certainly see a dramatic difference from lyric choices to actual homicides within the artist community.

Athletics is another interesting lense. Thinking about Ray Lewis vs say Merlin Olson. It's not as obvious as with the music lense, but you can still see it.

I'm certainly not pro Gifford's (just reading their interview with Ryan made me ill. Every question included a political bent closing in a question). Rather I do hold to the 2nd amendment absolutism. So my struggle is how to shift culture while not effecting 2nd amendment rights. That ain't easy. Lots of times I come to ban on violent video games or life like toy guns. That only scratches the surface. So then I go to stiffer penalities for gun crimes. Life imprisonment for threatening somebody's life with a gun? Perhaps but also very costly.
Ryan is trying to tackle the same issue but his perspective is different than mine on how to handle it. I do respect that he's sticking his neck out there farther than I'm sticking mine out (a trivial post on HuntTalk) but I can still respectfully disagree with him.

Last edited:
I think social media is a huge cause of the political tribes. It has given a way for people to interact with like minded individuals while blocking out any dissenting voice. It is so easy to curate your own echo chamber and only interact with members of your own tribe.
Totally true. As for the tribalilty (word?) of Ryan's book, he would have done better to not include any D endorsements or secured one or two R endorsements. Its about the only way these days to speak from middle ground but it's not easy to do.

If a PETA board member who used to be say for example (these don't really exist anymore but for the point's sake) a commercial market hunter who killed tens of thousands of animals and who now was still a hunter but now hunted, and killed much less and more care-full-ly for personal pleasure and benefit, if that person wrote a book, I'd be very very interested in it and in that organization's views, since they were partnering with someone who'd seem to be their enemy.

In fact, in sort of making up this example I realize that in many ways, this is exactly how commercial market hunting ended and moved over to "sport" hunting. We learn and grow and progress, that's a hard pill to swallow for some folks and they use fear and conjecture to try to keep others in their cave with them.

First, we just replaced commercial market hunting with IG hunters. Different customer, same idea.

Second

Partially I agree. Opinions change, life experience, and so on.

That's why I keep saying "define gun culture".

The definition of that, speaks to WHERE you are coming from.

"I'm one of you guys"(Busse with his "I own more guns than I can count"), is a lot like the dude has "has black friends", or " I have no problem with gay guys". If you have to say that, before you speak, then perhaps it's because everything you say after, doesn't support that statement?

Have you read Gifford's site? Have you looked at what they consider guns that should be banned? Yeah, it's easy to say "we should ban "assault" rifles. That's a group tested word. But what is THEIR definition?
They are in favor of a 2 hit rule. Meaning they have a list of ban able items, is a gun hits 2 of them, it should be banned.

Pistol grips, detachable mags, threaded barrel, just among that list.

Do YOU think a thumbhole stock, Howa 1500 is an assault rifle? I don't.

They would, under their own criteria- grip, threaded barrel.

I don't really care if he writes 20 books to "repent" his guilt.

But when he makes it his CAREER to know come after me, and what I believe in, I push back.

And YES, if given the power(which his fellow board member David Chipman nearly got), I do believe they would ban ownership of guns. Mostly because they say so.

His book, might be about his life's journey. His job, is to ban guns. And not just that evil AR.

First, we just replaced commercial market hunting with IG hunters. Different customer, same idea.

Second

Partially I agree. Opinions change, life experience, and so on.

That's why I keep saying "define gun culture".

The definition of that, speaks to WHERE you are coming from.

"I'm one of you guys"(Busse with his "I own more guns than I can count"), is a lot like the dude has "has black friends", or " I have no problem with gay guys". If you have to say that, before you speak, then perhaps it's because everything you say after, doesn't support that statement?

Have you read Gifford's site? Have you looked at what they consider guns that should be banned? Yeah, it's easy to say "we should ban "assault" rifles. That's a group tested word. But what is THEIR definition?
They are in favor of a 2 hit rule. Meaning they have a list of ban able items, is a gun hits 2 of them, it should be banned.

Pistol grips, detachable mags, threaded barrel, just among that list.

Do YOU think a thumbhole stock, Howa 1500 is an assault rifle? I don't.

They would, under their own criteria- grip, threaded barrel.

I don't really care if he writes 20 books to "repent" his guilt.

But when he makes it his CAREER to know come after me, and what I believe in, I push back.

And YES, if given the power(which his fellow board member David Chipman nearly got), I do believe they would ban ownership of guns. Mostly because they say so.

His book, might be about his life's journey. His job, is to ban guns. And not just that evil AR.

There is some powerful false equivalency going on in there.

I have been paid zero for my opinion.

I'll assume the same for you.

What does he get for his?

Of course that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy