Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ryan Busse. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue Ut, Wy, Id are 3of the most highly armed states in the country. If what the groups Ryan is now advocating for, were right, Evanston Wyoming, would be Chicago.
Nope - violence correlates with population density and despair - the type of violence depends on implements at hand - two different issues.

Would the Vegas shooting been OK if he only had an xbolt? Of course not, but (based on your assumption) 38 people would still be alive. Maybe a 100-200 not wounded? I don't think bump stocks are protected under the 2A. Do you? These are the kinds of conversations America needs to have without everyone going into their partisan bunker. IMO

Yet ANOTHER SLIDE.

I thought this 27 pages was a conversation.

It's only a few who keep trying to pin the "white supremacist", or "gun nut", or "Chad" title. I guess a bunker ain't a bunker unless you have an NRA sticker.

Or maybe he helps that organization better understand what "common sense" gun laws might actually mean in the real world. One of our problems with polarization is groups become totally intellectually segregated. I love when I see a known conservative added to an Ivy league department or a known liberal to a conservative think tank. The full spectrum of opinions needs to be in the room. I have not read his book so I can't say whether he is a gun banner or just a dedicated gun owner who is tired of the rambo-esque game being played by some on the "pro-2A" side - but if someone who actually knows how a gun works associates with Giffords or MDA then that is a step forward for them frankly.

"Yes dear I was at the strip club, but I was only trying to help those girls understand calculus"

Nope - violence correlates with population density and despair - the type of violence depends on implements at hand - two different issues.

No.

According to Gifford's, Brady, etc, gun violence is because of the availability of guns.

You too should go read Gifford's site.

They don't discuss pop density or despair.

Do you believe this to be a legitimate analogy?

If so this certainly hasn't been a conversation.
Do you believe in Gifford's goal is "common sense"?

Either see Sytes post above, or go read their site

Do you believe in Gifford's goal is "common sense"?

Either see Sytes post above, or go read their site

"Dodge, dip, duck, dive... and dodge."
Patches O'Houlihan

I didn't just learn what Giffords was in the course of this thread. I've been aware of and opposed to her advocacy for about a decade.

I agree with you that "common sense gun control" is a bit of a misnomer. But, the slippery slope BS argument that you've made was why they came out with that brand. Nobody can talk about a single gun regulation without folks shouting "gun ban!"...

No.

According to Gifford's, Brady, etc, gun violence is because of the availability of guns.

You too should go read Gifford's site.

They don't discuss pop density or despair.
I have. Their premise is that when violence occurs it will be less harmful in the aggregate without guns. I don't buy it because guns aren't going anywhere in our lifetime. But if they magically disappeared then yes, knifings between gang members do have lower casualty rates and less collateral damage than driveby shootings.

That is not the same as saying (as you did) that having a lot of guns in a sparsely inhabited rural homogenous area would produce gun violence at the same rate as our highest density cities.

Yet ANOTHER SLIDE.
A slippery slope is the laziest form of debate.

Every single rule in society lies on a continuum. How old should you be to be in the military? 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21? Vote? Alcohol? How fast can we safely drive on the highway system? 45? 55? 65? 80? How old should you be when SocSec kicks in? 55? 65? 72? How long should the statute of limitations be on tort claims? 2 yrs? 5? 7? perpetual?

There is almost no answer to any question facing organized human affairs that does not lie on a continuum - as such it is not a logical basis for rational debate and decision making.

"Dodge, dip, duck, dive... and dodge."
Patches O'Houlihan

I didn't just learn what Giffords was in the course of this thread. I've been aware of and opposed to her advocacy for about a decade.

I agree with you that "common sense gun control" is a bit of a misnomer. But, the slippery slope BS argument that you've made was why they came out with that brand. Nobody can talk about a single gun regulation without folks shouting "gun ban!"...

So when I flippantly point out the idea that "maybe he went there to explain common sense", you react not to *common sense" gun control, but because I mocked it.

And again.

The people shouting "gun ban", are on both sides.

Threaded barrel, detachable mag.

2 hit according to those "common sense" folks at Gifford's.
It was a joke as a "lesser" form "machine gun" as it related to the poster's metaphorical commentary on your debate approach (ironically supported by your reply). It was not at all listing agreeable or objectionable gun parts. Good grief.

A slippery slope is the laziest form of debate.

Every single rule in society lies on a continuum. How old should you be to be in the military? 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21? Vote? Alcohol? How fast can we safely drive on the highway system? 45? 55? 65? 80? How old should you be when SocSec kicks in? 55? 65? 72? How long should the statute of limitations be on tort claims? 2 yrs? 5? 7? perpetual?

There is almost no answer to any question facing organized human affairs that does not lie on a continuum - as such it is not a logical basis for rational debate and decision making.
Would the murder rate during the Clinton gun ban be a logical place to debate from? There is precident, correct?

"PolitiFact | Did mass shooting deaths fall under the 1994 assault weapon ban? Checking Bill Clinton's claim" https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ss-shooting-deaths-fall-under-1994-assault-w/

Notice I chose politifact, not Fox

Would the murder rate during the Clinton gun ban be a logical place to debate from? There is precident, correct?

"PolitiFact | Did mass shooting deaths fall under the 1994 assault weapon ban? Checking Bill Clinton's claim" https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ss-shooting-deaths-fall-under-1994-assault-w/

Notice I chose politifact, not Fox
First off your quoted article is not about the murder rate falling, it was about mass shootings falling, those are two connected but different things. Second, the article says yes, it did fall, and astronomically rose when it expired. So, umm, I think I'm confused about your point.

I have. Their premise is that when violence occurs it will be less harmful in the aggregate without guns. I don't buy it because guns aren't going anywhere in our lifetime. But if they magically disappeared then yes, knifings between gang members do have lower casualty rates and less collateral damage than driveby shootings.

That is not the same as saying (as you did) that having a lot of guns in a sparsely inhabited rural homogenous area would produce gun violence at the same rate as our highest density cities.
No, that's WHAT YOU SAID.

You know, so far every guy that argues with me starts with "I don't believe what Gifford's says"........

But?

But? But me pointing it out about Busse is personal?

Where do we disagree. I don't believe anything they say either.

You just don't like the messenger

First off your quoted article is not about the murder rate falling, it was about mass shootings falling, those are two connected but different things. Second, the article says yes, it did fall, and astronomically rose when it expired. So, umm, I think I'm confused about your point.
You realize the Gifford's org, came about via a mass shooting, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back