Round Two - Looking For and Learning About Idaho Bighorns

Sawtooth

Made our second scouting trip in search for the elusive Bighorn Ram this past week. On our last trip, my buddy and I started in the lower elevations of our zone along the Salmon River. In three days of scouting we saw four groups of ewes and lambs, but no rams. This trip we decided to try a different approach and try to get above the sheep country and look down. Most of the higher elevations are heavily forested with steep rocky country in the mid and lower elevations. Our goal was to use the old logging roads at the higher elevations and then walk down different ridges and find outcroppings to glass the rocky cliffs faces below.
Long way to the bottom.jpg
A long way to the Bottom

Downfall and the Bighorn Craggs.jpg
Old burns and downfall made for some fun hikes along the ridge tops.

What is the name of this little Guy?.jpg
Any botanist know the name of this flower? They were all over ridge top that we camped on the first night.

Sunset over the Frank Church.jpg
Our first day of scouting turned up two nice mule deer bucks, a black bear, a small herd of elk and one amazing sunset, but no sheep.

Early the next morning we saw another nice 4x4 mule deer and finally a few sheep. Unfortunately, they were all ewes and lambs once again. They were easily 2000+ yards down the canyon so getting a picture of them with my phones camera was out of the question. After lunch we decided that our best option was to move back down in elevation and explore some more country closer to the valley floor. With the 4000 foot drop in elevation came the intense midday heat (mid 90's). We decided that no self respecting bighorn would be out in these temps, so we set up camp along a creek and did a little cooling off and fly fishing.
Cooling off and catching cutts.jpg
Picked up a few small cutthroat on my three weight rod. The biggest was around thirteen inches, with most in the 5-7" range.

Sod roofed Homestead.jpg
In the evening we walked up a "gulch" to glass for sheep. Half way up the trail we ran into this old homestead. I can't imagine spending a winter in this country back when this was first built. Talk about cabin fever.

At the bottom looking up.jpg
A view from the bottom looking up.

Where the road ends and the walking begins.jpg
Where the road ends the walking begins. My buddy and his son planning our next mornings hike.

Two ewes and a lamb.jpg
On our third and final day of scouting, we saw another small group of sheep. Once again only ewes and lambs. Pictured here are a ewe and a lamb bedded behind the rock in the center of the picture, with another ewe poking it's head up from behind the rock directly below the others. During our last day we also saw two more herds of elk, one of which had a couple of small bulls.

Bighorns along the Salmon River.jpg

As we were heading home along the Salmon River, we ran into our third band of sheep. Once again they were ewes and lambs, and this time they were outside our hunt zone. Overall our trip was a success. We saw some promising country and have an idea of where we will start our hunt. Hopefully, the weather will cool down a bit before the opening day, and the rams will be ready to come out and play. I will let you know how the goes in a few more weeks.

Last edited:
Making the most out of your scouting trips! You will find them.

Here are a couple of questions for the expert sheep hunters in the group. Are we overlooking some potentially good sheep habitat by not spending more time in the thick timber on the tops of these mountains? How important are rocks and steep cliffs to a rams escape from predators? Are they comfortable in the trees like elk? If we are finding ewes and lambs, should the rams be near by?

Based upon your first picture, you are in the right part of the haystack. I have seen them just south of there on the middle ridge above the outfitters property, but never in that exact spot.

August 30th is getting close!

Glad you guys are making it out. Seen sheep on the opposing rocky hillside of your "cooling off" picture when I had my hunt. Wouldn't doubt it if a ram or two might be higher up in the timber on the main ridge that parallels the river to the East.

Sounds like we will need to give the timber of those ridges another look. It looked more like elk country to us, but what do we know. If we make it back before the opener, we will give those timber Rams another go. Thanks again everyone for your help.We are slowly figuring out this whole bighorn sheep hunting puzzle. Hopefully, we can put it all together before the season comes to an end.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back