Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

RMEF Supported - Missouri State Elk Hunt.

Sytes

Pretty awesome news with another *hopeful first elk hunt in Missouri. RMEF was involved in the elk re-introductions in 2011-2013.
Care of State resources, the collective RMEF members and, boots on the ground Missouri RMEF members it looks promising for a 2020 elk hunt. Grats on some great work!

An amazing story. A fenced elk operation was started years ago and figured that would the only option to hunt elk in MO. Should be some interesting stories come out of the first few hunts.

I live in IL and I was curious about whether there were any efforts to reintroduce Elk here. Turns out there was a "study" done by the legislature and they decided to not pursue it. Which is really too bad because the time frame was such that we might be close to hunting in IL had they gone forward. But that's about what one can expect from the lawmakers in IL...

Instead of starting a new thread I found this in a search and just wanted to hear some thoughts on the proposed regulations for a potential 2020 season, if the poachers quit killing elk and we get to have it.

https://www.newspressnow.com/sports...cle_0b230bc8-f68f-11e9-afa8-6f9c531fc49b.html

6 inch antler restriction instead of branch antlered - not necessarily that big of a deal, nor much difference in the minimum age a reg like this hopes to enforce, just hope the focus will be on mature bulls for those lucky enough to draw.

First archery season in the third week of October - I guess to allow the rut to complete without any hunting pressure, still would have been nice to archery hunt with the bulls acting crazy and screaming their heads off.

Excludes the refuge portion of Peck Ranch Conservation Area in order to keep elk viewing opened during the fall - Season is already past prime viewing season and the rut, little miffed that 12 thousand odd acres of the 24 thousand will be closed off to hunters. They already close the park to visitors during managed deer hunts.

Those that are drawn for a general elk permit will have a 10 year sitting-out period in order to hunt again. - Definitely fair considering the limited animals available now and for the foreseeable future.

I may be unreasonable on some of my thoughts, don't be afraid to disagree with me. Just want to hear the thoughts from Missourians and those on the outside looking in.

I live in IL and I was curious about whether there were any efforts to reintroduce Elk here. Turns out there was a "study" done by the legislature and they decided to not pursue it. Which is really too bad because the time frame was such that we might be close to hunting in IL had they gone forward. But that's about what one can expect from the lawmakers in IL...
There was an effort to establish elk in the shawnee national forests but from what I remember the folks in that area did not want the elk. Farm bureau was against it and I knew at that point it was a nonstarter.

Agricultural interests in Illinois hold way too much sway. That being said, I know there are farmers around Carbondale that view the white tails as a nuisance- and they might have a point, when there's 50+ deer taken every year from their lands, and there are some years they don't get a corn crop because of the deer.

But I am incredibly proud of Missouri and RMEF in their elk restoration effort, and I couldn't be happier for the hunters that have harvested their elk (unless I was one of those successful hunters, that is 😉).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back