BOTSWANA: Leopard Hunt With Hounds - Botswana, Africa - September 2023

TheGrayRider

IMG_2497.jpeg

IMG_2441.jpeg

Species: Leopard
Type of hunt: Leopard hunt with hounds
Terrain: Kalahari Desert in Botswana
Weapons: Rifle and shotguns
Hunt Length: 10 day hunt, killed on Day 5.
Outfitter/main guide: Mangwa Hunting Safaris

Persons Involved in Hunt: 12 people from 4 different countries (Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, and USA)
Different jobs of persons involved: PHs, trackers, cook, houndsmen, skinner, government game ranger/game warden, and hunter.
Number of hounds/dogs: 15
Distance leopard traveled after trackers first cut track before sunrise: over 17.6 miles
Length of hunt from time first track cut until leopard bayed: 8 hours and 56 minutes
Number of animals discovered that were poached: 1, nice kudu bull that the wildlife game ranger noted.

Approximate size of hunting area: 95,000 hectares or 234,000 acres or 366 square miles
Number of flat tires on vehicles: 4
Number of times vehicles stuck in sand: 6
Number of miles walked on leopard tracks: many, a lot, on and on, etc....
Temperature: cool in the morning but hot after lunch. Difficult for hounds to track in hot weather in the afternoon. July and August is probably better time to hunt with hounds due to cooler weather.

Number of Credit Cards hacked in Gaborone: 1. One of my credit cards was fraudulently stolen although I only used it one time at a small coffee shop in Gaborone on the drive to the hunting area. Discovered quickly and resolved with the bank. Technology does have its benefits.

Number of Sharp and Emotional Comments Received from Family Members Upon Simply Sharing Photographs of the Hunt: 2. Hunting some species of dangerous game like elephants, lions, and leopards is a emotional and political subject for many nonhunters and hunters. All laws and rules were followed on this hunt. Also, the Botswana game ranger was with us during the entire time. Very nice and professional gentleman. Also, a special thanks to the nice people of Botswana who we met. They were very appreciative of our efforts in visiting and hunting in their country.

Test of Patience: Yes, but probably not nearly as much as a baited leopard hunt. Definitely not a guaranteed hunt but probably higher success rate than a baited leopard hunt.
Number of leopards hunted in Botswana this year: about 85 from what I was told by one of the PHs.
Taste of Leopard Backstrap: not bad at all over the fire but a little tougher than beef.

Level of Fun: 1 - 10 scale. 9.8 (I always grade hard).

Blessed, Thankful, and Appreciative: Very much so. A special thanks to the people of Botswana and all of the numerous conservation organizations like SCI and DSC for their continued conservation work in sustained use wildlife conservation. I am still learning about such subjects as CITES permits, international relations in wildlife conservation and other projects in the numerous countries in sub-saharain Africa. The monthly news articles, magazines, and emails from local, national, and international conservation organizations are informative and interesting. Every member counts for such organizations as RMEF, NWTF, SCI, NRA, etc. etc. Also, the numerous conventions in the early parts of the year throughout the country are great. Keep up the good work everyone.

Cost of Trip: priceless. The cost of not hunting in Africa is greater than the cost of hunting in Africa. Just go! You won’t regret it.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

IMG_2438.jpeg

Botswana game ranger/game warden, who is required to hunt with group daily, with poached kudu horns. The poachers left only the horns, hide, & stomach contents. They will get about $125 on the black market for the meat. Same kudu bull will cost about $3,500 to hunt. Sorry situation but reality in Africa.

I’ve always been curious about this hunt. I once read an article about a hound hunt in Africa and I’ve thought about it since. Congratulations on the cat. Great pictures.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back