Yeti GOBOX Collection

RMEF on auction tags

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I was at a connection where I could load this entire document to read in this post, but right now can only provide a link.

Worth reading for those interested in the auction tag debate. Please share with anyone you think might be interested.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/13396617731h25tz7465f

Should be interesting for some groups to see this become a public debate topic by other non-profits in the hunting world.

Wish I was at a connection where I could load this entire document to read in this post, but right now can only provide a link.

RMEF Calls for Transparency on State Special Big Game Permits

MISSOULA, Mont.-Responding to questions about some nonprofit organizations' handling of special auction/raffle hunting permits issued by states, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is calling for transparency and open review of the financial records of all conservation nonprofits.

RMEF has made its records available online, reiterated its longstanding policy of financial accountability and is urging other nonprofit organizations to follow suit.

"When dealing with these special auction or raffle hunting permits we are dealing with a public trust," said David Allen, president and CEO of RMEF. "It is imperative that we are as open and transparent as possible when we assume the responsibility of selling these permits."

"Organizations should not become financially dependent upon the sale of these permits for their operating budgets, but rather find ancillary benefit by helping our state agency partners realize greater conservation revenues from the sale of these limited permits," he added.

At question is the accountability of some nonprofit groups that accept special permits for auction and/or raffle fundraising. More specifically, questions have surfaced about how funds generated from these permits are allocated and spent. In most states, legislation dictates how proceeds from these permits are allocated.

RMEF has an operating policy that specifies it will only sell special permits for states that require proceeds to go on the ground for wildlife conservation purposes. Over the last five years, for example, RMEF generated a total of $5,211,214 in special permit revenue. Of that, $4,759,759 was returned directly to the states or specific project accounts for wildlife habitat or conservation purposes. Approximately $451,455, or just 8.7 percent, was retained by RMEF for administrative and fundraising expenses. It is important to note that income from these permits represents less than half of one percent of RMEF's annual budget. RMEF indicates that in nearly all cases, the administrative fees retained by the organization cover only the direct expenses associated with selling the permits.

To view five years of RMEF's Special Permit Financial Summary, and more than 10 years of the organization's Federal 990 tax returns, as well as RMEF's Audited Financial Statements, go to www.rmef.org and click on the word "Financial" at the bottom of any page.

"We are very proud of the fact that RMEF has been able to raise millions of dollars over the years for wildlife through special permits while only retaining an average of 10 percent or less to cover our marketing costs, transaction fees, overhead, etc.," said Allen. "We view our handling of these permits as a service to our state agency partners. When done correctly, and in very limited numbers, these permits can have a huge benefit to wildlife."

"We're an open book, we are accountable to our members, donors and supporters for every dollar they commit to RMEF," said Allen. "We also feel an accountability to all hunters, members or not, when receiving any amount for assisting state agencies in selling the public trust assets represented by these permits."

About the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation:
RMEF is leading a conservation initiative that has protected or enhanced habitat on over 6 million acres-an area larger than Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Yosemite, Rocky Mountain and Great Smoky Mountains national parks combined. RMEF also is a strong voice for hunters in access, wildlife management and conservation policy issues. RMEF members, partners and volunteers, working together as Team Elk, are making a difference all across elk country. Join us at www.rmef.org or 800-CALL ELK.

This was also just posted on the MM site less than 2 hours ago by "Outdoorwriter" (Tony Mandile) and is receiving kudos from the few that have been online to read it so far. It sounds like this may lead to the death or at least a change in how business is done by at least one group we're aware of that has squandered millions of dollars of what is the public trust. One member stated that it appears the RMEF is preparing a proposal in Utah to give back 100% of tag/raffle money if they were to run what is now being done by the two other organizations, one of which we are aware of that definitey will not open their books!

Last edited:
This is a solid move by RMEF, and will help beat back the attempts in MT to hand over our resource to wildlife rapists like Peay and crew.

I have serious policy differences with the Elk Foundation, but I have to give David some big kudos for stepping up to the plate and outlining how tags like these should be used and providing some real accountability on the financial end.

Well done RMEF.

Smart move on their part. Hopefully this is just one more step towards accountability in all conservation organizations.

It will definately put the heat on SFW. The problem is the arrogance of that group, they will fight opening their books until they are forced to do so.

Don Peay/Ryan Benson have the attitude that they will do whatever they want.

There is no question that their "books" are in shambles and that there is more than a few skeletons in the SFW closet regarding tag funds.

Good job RMEF

Too bad the Mule Deer Foundation sold its soul to SFW and its Western Hunting & Conservation Expo. I use to support them and pitch in with the local chapter, but when my membership expires I'm done with them.

Its killing me how commercialized hunting is getting, its even worse knowing so-called conservation orgs are pushing the commercialization :(

One member stated that it appears the RMEF is preparing a proposal in Utah to give back 100% of tag/raffle money if they were to run what is now being done by the two other organizations, one of which we are aware of that definitey will not open their books!
If RMEF is going to make that play now might be a good time. The issue of conservation and auction tags is currently before the Resource Advisory Committees (RAC), especially the units they come from. Seems like there's been some sleight of hand with that. Each region is capped on a percentage basis, but not the total from a given unit. Seems like some are starting to speak out regarding that discrepancy. Similarly, the price of these permits and how much goes back to the DWR is coming up in these RAC meetings. It seems there is a new group in Utah that is forcing this issue out front. I know of at least one RAC that did not vote in favor of what was being proposed by SFW/MDF. So, this might mean RMEF is well posiitoned to take advantage of this. It would be a major coup, IMO, if they could now take over the Expo since the groundwork has already be laid and make sure more money is going where it should be.

Thank you RMEF. Shine the light and let the coakroaches scramble at SFW to hide behide 8 hour tours of Utah and lists of forbidden subjects when you want to talk on the record. Perhaps other groups will be exposed as well. The end result will be more responsible use of tags taken out of public draws and a better result for our wildlife when the auction and raffle funds are used more wisely. My 2 pesos.

Several years back when I was a volunteer state chair, I used to just get pounded with "Why won't the Elk Foundation take a stand on any issues?". My how things have changed!! The current leadership is outstanding and definitely leading the way. Proud to be a Life Member.

I'm learning something all the time. Is the 10% to operate on for a nonprofit fairly standard in a conservation industry? What percentage do other conservation based organizations run on? MWF, Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited, etc? I'd love to know what it takes to operate. Heck I'd even love to see home much PETA takes. I think this has some educational value.

Sweetnectar i'm not sure of percentages on these other org's but i suspect that they survive on donations from like minded people, not from selling public assets . The 10% that RMEF keeps is considered a handling fee of sorts.

I'm learning something all the time. Is the 10% to operate on for a nonprofit fairly standard in a conservation industry? What percentage do other conservation based organizations run on? MWF, Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited, etc? I'd love to know what it takes to operate. Heck I'd even love to see home much PETA takes. I think this has some educational value.

The 10% is fairly standard on the Governor's tags. Each state is different though. MT only has the Gov tags as their transferable licenses, and for that, there's only one for each species (Sheep, Goat, Moose, Elk, Deer). WY has Commissioners tags which are full transferable, and those are awarded to different organizations based on the desires of the Fish and Game Commissioner. Not sure how other states do it.

As for MWF and their budgets: They do not take these licenses, and have refused to apply for the Governor's tag due to their position on transferable licenses. They operate primarily on individual donations and some grants. My position when I was there was grant funded. The Executive Director, Development Director, Comptroller and Office Manager are the only Core positions outlined in their bylaws, and therefore the only positions that are funded by membership dues. Last I knew, about 90% of all monies raised went into program work, with about 10% for overhead and fundraising.

I think that for a small organization like MWF, that is pretty good.

That reminds me, I need to pick up some more tickets for the Kimber 325 WSM w/ the Leupold VXIII 3.5-x10 that they're raffling off.

Sierra Club just got popped for taking $26 million from the Natural Gas industry to fight Coal. I'm not much of a Sierra Club fan.

Oregon has auction tags and Raffle tags. The buyer of an auction tag pays the dept directly. The dept then pays the selling Org. a 10% commission to do with as they wish.
Pretty simple process and none of the shenanigans.

I let my RMEF membership slide too many years ago when they didn't take much of a stand on the reintroduction of wolves. To see them take some stands on issues that are very important to me - well they just earned a new member today after too many years away. Great job RMEF! Thanks for being willing to take a stand on the 'real issues' and not try to please everyone. A Hunting/Conservation organization for hunters - what a concept!
- Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

i almost let my RMEF membership slide during the whole debacle over the Roadless release bill. im glad i didnt now. thanks to guys like Randy who are able to create change for the better.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back