Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Podcast Episodes on Public-Private Property Rights at Intersecting Corners

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last eight years, and more intensively, the last six months, I've hired attorneys to advise me on the intersection of public and private property, explaining where the rights of each start/end/merge, at intersecting property corners. It has been a huge learning process for me; worth the time and money invested to better understand a topic that is of great interest to many of us. My understanding has benefited greatly from this process.

On Friday (March 4th) we will publish the first of three podcast episodes about this intersection, using checkerboard intersections as the scenario that best illustrates these issues. When I engaged the law firm this last summer, I didn't know the upcoming hunting season would result in a real case going to court that serves as a great example for reference, especially now that there is both a criminal and civil case pending.

The first podcast is mostly background for the listeners who are not familiar with the issue to the degree many on this forum are familiar. I try to explain the history of how checkerboard was created, the trends of the last 20-30 years that make this more of an issue, and I try to explain that a lot of hunters don't even consider asking for access to private out of respect for the landowner's time. Many of us write-off the idea of asking for private permission and focus on public lands, showing complete respect for private property rights and in doing so we hope the same respect will be shown for public property rights.

I suspect many who are very familiar won't get too much new information out of the first episode. But, it is necessary to have the foundation for an in depth legal discussion on the next episode. Part 1 also explains my ever-changing perspective on the topic as legal experts give me more and more advice.

Part 2 is the episode I think most will feel is valuable. That will be published on Monday, March 7th. I am joined by the two property law attorneys I've hired to advise me on the topic. We take months worth of work and volumes of cases, and touch on the items pertinent to the intersection of public-private property. We will be doing a third podcast, Part 3, to cover the topics we didn't touch in Part 2 and using the feedback loop from the first two episodes to expand on more topics. If people find it interesting, maybe we will do a fourth episode.

I hope listeners get value out of this project. It has been a lot of time and money, so we have tried to make it as useful as we can.

I think people will see that the absolutism some portray as "the law" when public-private meets, is usually due to the benefits they can achieve by proclaiming this area of law is settled and no further investigation is necessary. The Wyoming case is a perfect example of one party proclaiming the ancient "legal theories" have settled this issue, given they stand to benefit from making that case. Yet, the attorneys in Part 2 make it very clear how impractical those "legal theories" due many court cases, often civil cases with private parties suing each other, disregarding these "legal theories."

For me, I have had my perspectives changed a lot in this process, which is a function of a better understanding the legal theories and a better appreciation for how law changes to reflect the changing society we live in. I suspect my perspectives will expand and change as I continue to get more legal advice.

In addition to the two attorneys we have on the podcast, three other law professors who specialize in property law have been giving advice and meeting with us on Zoom calls. They have provided a lot of great information and I am grateful for their scholarly work and their willingness to lend some additional expertise.

Before we start publishing these podcast episodes, I want to provide this document by Professor Shelby Green of Pace University. Not saying the piece she published is "the law," but she makes a very strong case for a lot of ideas that will likely be used as we go forward in sorting out "the law" where these rights intersect. It will make a very clear case that the "absolutism" some want to claim exists on this topic is far from "settled law."

If you are interested in law, specifically law related to this intersection, I would suggest you read Professor Green's piece published in the Wyoming Law Review in 2014. Link here - https://digitalcommons.pace.edu/lawfaculty/926/

Or, you can download the attachment below.

When these podcast episodes get published, I will post links to each episode on this thread. In the meantime, enjoy some "light reading."

Attachments

• Shelby Green WY Law Review 2014.pdf
    333 KB · Views: 42
Can’t wait

I’ve been acutely interested in this subject ever since Ellie Hill (D-Missoula) introduced a bill back in 2013 to legalize corner crossing. It was defeated, and remains a hotly contested issue in the American west.

I was on the house floor in Helena when the co-sponsor pulled support, there was a sea of blaze orange there that day……

I have my bias of course, but there’s many sides to this issue….can’t wait to hear the podcasts

Very interesting. While interning for the BLM in the rangeland program, access to survey sites was often an issue. Looking forward to the podcasts.
"He who hath not cannot give"

Thanks for the level-headed and balanced thinking on this issue. Some things you didn't say much about (maybe I missed it) that I believe also contribute to the issue coming to a head now are:

1) Ubiquitous use of relatively accurate GPS -- finding survey pins is much easier today than it was even 15 years ago
2) The increasing commoditization of hunting opportunities -- as someone who 20 years ago was allowed to hunt much of the checkerboard between Rawlins and Baggs but now cannot because the landowner leases to an outfitter for many $10ks, I'm pretty galled by the fact that the landowner can reap significant financial rewards simply BECAUSE I've been block from hunting the checkerboard. People that pay $7k+ for a hunt are looking for exclusive access, and the public hunting every other section would significantly reduce the value of the product that they're paying for.
3) As a small landowner that shares a 1 mile border with public, my biggest fear is liability -- we live in a very litigious society and if someone steps in a badger hole while trespassing on my property from the public, they may well decide to sue me for their (it's crazy and I might win, but not until I'm broke in legal fees) The number of these types of lawsuits has grown dramatically.

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks for the comment. None of those were touched on in Part 1. In fact, I don't think we mention them in Part 2.

I'm keeping a list of notes as to topics people are interested in further exploration with legal experts and such will form the basis for Part 3.

Not sure we will get to those topics, given the focus I am placing on the legal aspects of the topic. But, maybe we will have to get to some of these, as they are all contributing to this topic becoming more and more important.

Thanks for the level-headed and balanced thinking on this issue. Some things you didn't say much about (maybe I missed it) that I believe also contribute to the issue coming to a head now are:

1) Ubiquitous use of relatively accurate GPS -- finding survey pins is much easier today than it was even 15 years ago
2) The increasing commoditization of hunting opportunities -- as someone who 20 years ago was allowed to hunt much of the checkerboard between Rawlins and Baggs but now cannot because the landowner leases to an outfitter for many $10ks, I'm pretty galled by the fact that the landowner can reap significant financial rewards simply BECAUSE I've been block from hunting the checkerboard. People that pay $7k+ for a hunt are looking for exclusive access, and the public hunting every other section would significantly reduce the value of the product that they're paying for.
3) As a small landowner that shares a 1 mile border with public, my biggest fear is liability -- we live in a very litigious society and if someone steps in a badger hole while trespassing on my property from the public, they may well decide to sue me for their (it's crazy and I might win, but not until I'm broke in legal fees) The number of these types of lawsuits has grown dramatically.

Keep up the good work!!
Is it really true that lawsuits are common against landowners who allow the public to cross their land? I know here in NY, there's been an effort to educate landowners to the substantial legal protections they have against this sort of thing. Here, unless you have a sign pointing to the badger hole that says, "please look up while you cross this field", you're not at much risk. I'm not trying to argue with you so much as ask the question and suggest that you may not really have alot to worry about here. Totally agree on points 1 and 2.

Thanks for the comment. None of those were touched on in Part 1. In fact, I don't think we mention them in Part 2.

I'm keeping a list of notes as to topics people are interested in further exploration with legal experts and such will form the basis for Part 3.

Not sure we will get to those topics, given the focus I am placing on the legal aspects of the topic. But, maybe we will have to get to some of these, as they are all contributing to this topic becoming more and more important.

To piggy back on Cornell's comment, is there any legal avenue the public can take in regards to public resources locked up by private land? I know you and Marcus covered public trusts and doctrine in one of your recent YouTube videos which was super interesting. Is there any legal application of that idea with regards to public resources not being available to the public?

I find a similar issue with access laws on waterways here in Wyoming. I can float through private but I cannot touch the bottom. It seems like in that case there is a duality between the private landowners property and the publics ability to use their resource. I think that's why I travel to Montana several times a year with the raft, I love their constitutional amendment allowing for access to the high water mark. Im just wondering if there is any legal precedence that allows for this dual use and could be applied to such things as corner crossing?

Thanks for doing a deep dive on this subject Randy, can't wait for the episode on Monday.

I thought episode one was a good introduction to a very complicated and multi-layered issue, especially the current Wyoming case. I hope the clarification we are seeking comes sooner rather than later to nip this in the bud, despite it being an issue for quite a while. I can only see more and more issues arising as more new landowners and new hunters meet. I hope this topic and case gets the attention it deserves

Thank you for these Big Fin. I listened to the first one last night while cooking dinner, and it prompted a little discussion with my children. Humor me. It is certainly a tangent on a thread and topic that goes deep into law and how things really are.

When I explained some of the issues to my 12 year old, she was like, "Well, why don't they just let them walk on the tiny piece of their property?" It was a good venue to talk about property rights, and the whole premise of None of Your Business, but also, we talked about greed.

This is my yard off the back porch today. Yes, the Xmas lights are still up. The tree line 50 yards away is the old Northern Pacific railroad grade and I own the majority of it on the edge of my parcel. It connects to more grade, and a public road. I would say a dozen people a day walk their dogs on it, push their kids in strollers, ride their bikes....Sometimes they park their cars on it to do these things, on my property.

I allow it because it doesn't hurt me, it allows my neighbors to enjoy the trails beyond, because locals have done it for years, because it is a public good and I like to think I am a good neighbor and not a greedy f!@k. For me, there is a worthwhile context there. Yep, it is entirely within one's rights to exhibit greed to the detriment of others when it comes to private property, and the levels to which it is exhibited vary. But it is also entirely within one's rights to judge the greed of another. One is not necessarily obligated to prohibit others from doing something, particularly in the context of corner crossing. That demand for prohibition of action and the leveling of charges against another is a choice. And that is where I settled with my kids. People are greedy, and their is virtue in not being so.

I know it doesn't matter in the legal picture, nor should it, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't motivate me and my hope for their disappointment in the results of conflict, and I think that framework fuels peoples' discussion of the topic, and maybe even their denial and at times irrationality. I felt it in my own rising voice as I explained it to my 6th grader.

I look forward to listening to part 2 and those whose takes are far more levelheaded.

1646688845345.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone of us public users file a civil suit against the Elk Mountain Ranch for the chain blocking our right to the public lands IAW Federal Unlawful Inclosures Act of 1885?

I just find the idea of a class action counter suit with millions of defendants satisfying.

Can anyone of us public users file a civil suit against the Elk Mountain Ranch for the chain blocking our right to the public lands IAW Federal Unlawful Inclosures Act of 1885?

I just find the idea of a class action counter suit with millions of defendants satisfying.
Could we all put our name on that civil case? Any public user willing to join in?

I was also wondering that after listening to the 2nd podcast...plus it elevates it to the federal level, which would preempt state legislature action opposing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back