Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rinella is a Dork - Episode 312

Rinella is a flatlander. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I like skiing. I like ice fishing. Last weekend I mixed both together. But if God gives you mountains, enjoy the mountains. Best hunter you never heard of was Paul Schafer, local legend. Sadlly, he died skiing on the Big Mountain. https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bowhunting/paul-schafer-part-1

I know its fun to drive wedges and stir the pot. But one does not cancel the other. Enjoy life, dammit, it's too short. And winter is too long.
Holy cow, I finally got around to reading that article. Mr. Schafer was one helluva bad@$$

Michael Waddell was my favorite guest in a long time, though I haven't listened as regularly in the last few months. I had no idea who he was beforehand, only kinda do now, but he seems way more down to earth than the meateater crew, no contest. And he's quicker witted than all of them combined other than maybe Phil the engineer.
Look at me, sounds like I'm reviewing a soap opera. Now that I think about it, maybe I am...

Dick Kirby 😂😂😂
When I worked at the shop in college we hosted a calling competition/Turkey-Fest kind of thing for NWTF one weekend. Dick was our featured guest and judge, and showed up in a camo blazer with the old ghilie hat and basically looked like a cosplayer and we kind of giggled at the nice gentlemen in the silly outfit.

There were a handful of seminars before the actual competition - the first one was a couple of local hotshots. Their demo calls sounded fine, better than I could do, certainly.

Then Dick got up there for his seminar and part of it was a turkey "conversation" - he was voice-calling the gobbler (and the theoretical 'hen' he was with) and using one of his Quaker Boy calls to play two different hens on top of that. It is still the most impressive game calling display I have ever heard. Not to mention, he was a great guy through the whole event, hanging out with us shop rats, giving out free calls and videos to kids.

As "Industry personalities" go - I thought Dick was fantastic. And a hell of a turkey hunter (not just a caller). Dude had something north of 25 grand slams, iirc.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back