Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Rifle Shot Placement for Least Meat Loss

matechakeric

Randy mentioned in one of the ElkTalkLive's that he doesn't recommended a high shoulder shot because the bullet destroys a ton of meat. where should the aim be for the most humane and also least meat-damaging shot?

I think it is somewhat species specific. I always aim for the lungs on cervids. I always aim for the base of the skull on pigs, right behind the ear. Broadside shots tend to ruin the least amount of meat.
yea I'm very selective with my shots. Unless I know I won't get anything better than a quartering away shot, I usually wait for broad side or try to wait the animal out

Right behind the shoulder broadside. Never taken any broadside shots in the neck but I've been along for a couple and I've never seen an animal drop like they did.

Neck shot risks losing a good chunk of meat as well, unless you're moving pretty close to the base of the skull which I don't think is advisable. Lungs always seem fine for me. Generally all I lose is a little bit of trimming around the blade and some rib meat.
I turn most rib meat into ground anyways. I'm a burger and steak guy. not a roast fan. I plan my butchering around those facts. I think you're right about lung shot behind the shoulder.

Lungs on pigs are smaller and mostly up behind the front shoulder. They have big ole heads and I try to hit them right at the base of the skull where the vertebrae starts. It is a pretty decent shot on a pig, I would say the target size is pretty close to a lung shot. Lung shot pigs tend to run quite a ways with very limited blood trail and they tend to head straight to the thickest nastiest stuff you can find. I think the base of the skull shot is the best choice for pigs. Plus I like the pork ribs more than deer ribs.

Least meat damage is probably right at the base of the skull where it meets the neck. That is very specific and not a shot I'd take. 2-3 ribs back from the front shoulder is ideal in my book. Gives you some margin for error and doesn't damage much meat. Unless you like very intact ribs.

Double lung shot (ribs), like you’re shooting a bow.

I got 60lb of boneless neck meat off my most recent bull elk, why would I possibly want to shoot it in the neck and ruin part of that when I only lose 1/4 pound or so with a rib shot?

Last edited:
neck would no doubt produce least damaged meat but don't you have to be pretty precise with your placement to hit spine or artery?

With a high power rifle... no.

Neck isn't "pc", I don't advocate it, and I don't take that shot often, but I've taken it a half dozen times when I had a great rest and the shot was 150 yards and under.

Generally where I aim.
1608154898732.png

Last edited:
Back