Rifle Shot Placement for Least Meat Loss

Close shots I’m usually aiming for the base of the skull. Depending on weapon type, load, shooting rest, and what the animal is doing that’s usually around 50 yards and in. Otherwise I don’t factor in meat loss in shot placement and 100% focus on best shot to bring the animal down.

I shot a deer at 30 yards with a 300 Win. Mag. this fall. The deer was broadside and the bullet center-punched the lungs. I was shooting a cheap 180 grain soft point. Deer was dead within 10 yards. There was no meat damage other than to a few ribs. Even the heart was undamaged and delicious.

I shot a deer at 30 yards with a 300 Win. Mag. this fall. The deer was broadside and the bullet center-punched the lungs. I was shooting a cheap 180 grain soft point. Deer was dead within 10 yards. There was no meat damage other than to a few ribs. Even the heart was undamaged and delicious.
It's a good thing you were using a heavier bullet and hit the ribs. However, had you hit the shoulder it would have been a mess. Too much speed for that kind of bullet at that close range.

Usually lung shots have little meat damage...except....
I shot down on this ram in his bed...the exit mess was due to a rock on the off-side.
RamGrenade.jpg

It's a good thing you were using a heavier bullet and hit the ribs. However, had you hit the shoulder it would have been a mess. Too much speed for that kind of bullet at that close range.
True. I've shot quite a bit of game from pronghorn to elk with a .270 Win., 50 cal muzzleloader and .300 Win. Mag. I've noticed no matter what I shoot (in my limited experience) a broadside rib (lung) shot typically does very little damage to the meat. I shot my first bull elk when I was a youth with a 270 Win. pushing a 150 core lokt. The first bullet impacted the humerus and did incredible damage to that front quarter. I found the jacket between the on-side shoulder and the ribcage. Luckily a follow-up shot went behind the shoulder and killed the elk.

Edit.. I posted a pic, but decided it was in poor taste.

I shot a cow elk between the eyes once. Solid rest, 40 yards, body obscured.

Every other big game animal I've aimed for heart/lungs, except pigs. They get it behind the ear if possible.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back