Remington "Sportsman"

Otto Matic

Several years ago, I spotted a Remington "Sportsman" in 16 gauge.
Remington began building the Sportsman in 16 gauge in 1932.
They started numbering them with 200000.
This gun is 2004**, one of the first 500 made! Sadly, the barrel was not what the factory installed when the gun was manufactured.
Since the barrel was IMP CYL, and I love to hunt turkeys..... well, you see the problem!
Since the barrel wasn't original, I thought of Briley choke tubes in Houston, Texas.
Feb 25th, I mailed the barrel to Briley. Yesterday, Mar 9th, Briley called. My barrel and choke tubes were ready!
Briley shipped it UPS.
UPS delivered it TODAY! 😀!

20210310_172709.jpg
Briley installs the tube and gives you 3 choke tubes to go with it.
Now my old 90 year old "Sweetie Pie" has an XFULL tube, an IMOD tube and and a LMOD tube.
The IMOD is halfway between full and mod.
The LMOD is halfway between mod and imp cyl.20210310_172258.jpg
The old gal just got a new lease on life.
It shoots soft as butter, slick as glass and hits hard.
With the versatility of three different chokes, the ability to order a wide variety of chokes from Briley and the perfection of a 16 gauge, what more could you want? LOL!

BTW, I had shoulder replacement surgery and can no longer handle heavy recoil. ergo, a semi auto for a Win M12 fanatic!

I bought a Win. model 12 for $100 a couple years ago. I honestly don't think it had a box of shells through it. Not a single scratch on it. Even had the original receipt and owners manual. I gave it to my Dad because he had one as a kid. I couldn't believe the condition and I kind of felt bad for the guy selling it. Even asked him if he was sure he wanted to get rid of it 😳

Sweet old shotgun, hard to beat the old Remingtons

Got a boatload of Remington rifles and almost embarrassed to admit I never gave them a thought on shotguns didn’t know they them until I won a Remington 1187 about 20 years ago

My first shotgun was given to my father by my mother’s father(my maternal grandfather) for a second wedding anniversary present.
It’s a sportsman 58 in 12 ga with a 28”fixed mod barrel.
I still take it dove hunting on occasion.
To this day nothing feels as comfortable in my hand as an older Remington shotgun.

Not sure if it was a Sportsman, but my dad had a Remington 20ga that looked a whole lot like that. The way it operated made it hard on this left ear. Once he got into dove hunting it went down the road as he didn't care for the ear ringing it caused. I was a wee lad at the time, so take with what I posted above with a large dose of salt. Just recounting what I remember my dad relating about the shotgun.

I bought a Win. model 12 for $100 a couple years ago. I honestly don't think it had a box of shells through it. Not a single scratch on it. Even had the original receipt and owners manual. I gave it to my Dad because he had one as a kid. I couldn't believe the condition and I kind of felt bad for the guy selling it. Even asked him if he was sure he wanted to get rid of it 😳

Sweet old shotgun, hard to beat the old Remingtons
I have a Win M12 in 16 gauge. I had used the "action slide lock" to repair a friends gun and had not replaced the part ... for YEARS!
I stumbled into a pawn shop. Lo & behold, a Win M12 16 was sitting on the shelf.
It had a Cutts, and of course, an IMP CYL tube.
The mag tube was held in place by 4 or 5 wraps of electrical tape and was missing a screw.
Interested only in salvaging parts to repair my other gun, I asked the guy for his rock bottom, out the door, killer diller deal.
He hum hawed and finally said, "Hundred dollars."
I almost ripped my pants pocket off trying to get my money out! LOL!
The next day, I've got the parts out of the new gun and my old gun is working like a champ!
The wife walks by, sees the scattered parts and says, "Why don't you get the parts to fix this one? Then you'll have two."
Who sez wemmin is dum?
About $80 worth of parts and both guns work great!
Gave the one with the Cutts to the youngest who promptly ordered a FULL and MOD tube off Ebay.

I love giving these oldtimers a "new lease on life"!

My first shotgun was given to my father by my mother’s father(my maternal grandfather) for a second wedding anniversary present.
It’s a sportsman 58 in 12 ga with a 28”fixed mod barrel.
I still take it dove hunting on occasion.
To this day nothing feels as comfortable in my hand as an older Remington shotgun.
I'm not exactly sure "why", but Rem was still making the M11 when they started building the "Sportsman".
The true "Sportsman" has no model number,. It was designed with a 2 round mag so that waterfowl hunters didn't have to worry about a "plug".
I think about 1948 or 49 (?) Rem added the "M58 Sportsman".

My main shotgun is a 1968 Remington 870 Wingmaster TB. I traded a Remington 887 straight across for it about 10 years ago. Never regretted that trade and I still can't believe it. Beautiful old shotguns. It must have been a safe queen because it had no signs of use. I love shooting it and the action is smooth as butter

My main shotgun is a 1968 Remington 870 Wingmaster TB. I traded a Remington 887 straight across for it about 10 years ago. Never regretted that trade and I still can't believe it. Beautiful old shotguns. It must have been a safe queen because it had no signs of use. I love shooting it and the action is smooth as butter
A good friend has an M870 that came out in the first year or two of production. Thing looks like a badly treated boat paddle but it works and shoots beautifully.
Thirty inch "FULL" choke barrel is deadly on ducks! 😉!

That’s a great old shotgun and I like old guns, I have many, but the model 11 and A-5’s are the sharpest recoil of all. That might be a 16 but it will recoil very sharply.

That’s a great old shotgun and I like old guns, I have many, but the model 11 and A-5’s are the sharpest recoil of all. That might be a 16 but it will recoil very sharply.
Mebbe so, but this gun shoots very easy.
The whole idea behind the semi auto, besides being a 16 gauge, is softer recoil.
I'm into turkey hunting and had been shooting a Rem M870 12 or one of my two Win M12 16 gauge guns.
Then I had shoulder replacement surgery.
No more 12 bores and the pumps with their locked blocks were uncomfortable.
This gun, however, fits well and shoots smooth as glass and is gentle on the implant.
I don't think I'd care to spend an afternoon on a trap range with it.

I have a Model 58 Sportsman in 12 gauge. It’s killed a pile of game but needs a lot of work. Unfortunately the parts I need to restore it to original working condition cost more than a new gun. If I could find parts easily, I probably would restore it anyway.

I have a Model 58 Sportsman in 12 gauge. It’s killed a pile of game but needs a lot of work. Unfortunately the parts I need to restore it to original working condition cost more than a new gun. If I could find parts easily, I probably would restore it anyway.
Numrich Arms in New York and there is another outfit somewhere in the midwest that carry's parts. (Midwest Gun Parts?)
Also try Nu-Line custom guns.
I could have bought a new shotgun for what the tubes and installation cost, but it wouldn't be as versatile as this gun OR near as much fun to shoot! 😀!

If you'd like, PM me and I'll see if I can help you find parts.

Shot a ton of trap and my first Canada goose with a '58 Sportsman. Dad found it in Lander at a sporting goods store 30+ yrs ago in excellent shape. I still remember the guy looking at us funny when dad asked if they had any gun cases (necessary for transport in michigan!). Still love that old auto!

Back